Tips for changing intake manifold

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
^ This is why I went with a Performer instead of an Air Gap.

And you live in Texas!!! Where the weather is borderline opposite of the N/E and Canada.

I remember talking to a guy I work with who is an old race mechanic and engine builder about the same problem with tunnel rams on the street.

Exactly the same issue. They'll work on a cold day, but not for street driving/cruising. It could be 40 degrees outside, but at 4000-9000 the tunnel ram will be fine. Who cruises at those RPM ranges? We, my son and I, build streetable rides so Air Gaps, tunnel rams are not in the equation - ever!

I'd love to have the time to build a strip only car, but that would be a brand new learning curve, and by the time I had it figured out I'd be in my 70's lol. Also, I should mention that I'm done with carburetor's due to the amount of additional time they take. I guess I should've gotten started in this hobby when I was younger. Oh well. FWIW, my present goal is to not have a car in the driveway that isn't forced induction. Fortuantely my wife is a Ford fan and her Fusion has a turbo :)

This is a nice, pleasant conversation though and I'd like to commend all of you for that.

Jim

Reactions: 1 user

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
This is a nice, pleasant conversation though and I'd like to commend all of you for that.

Jim

Agreed, and some good info shared for future users...keep it up all

• Agree

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Where do you drain coolant from? 305 sbc. Is it a plug on the drivers side of the block by the oil pan?

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Where do you drain coolant from? 305 sbc. Is it a plug on the drivers side of the block by the oil pan?

There should be a petcock valve on the bottom of the radiator. You can always just pull the lower radiator hose too.

• Agree

406 Monte

Greasemonkey
Jul 1, 2016
Minnesota
You could take out the block plugs so you get minimal antifreeze in the lifter valley. You DO NOT want antifreeze in the oil it will ruin the bearings. You should probably change oil after

• Agree

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
How do I get the carburetor off? Stock Qjet.I already have pics of where everything is, and pretty much all the wires unplugged. Does that tall threaded piece that the air cleaner wingnut screws onto come out? Thanks

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
IMG_3552.JPG IMG_3553.JPG These two nuts are giving me trouble. Any advice? After that I'll have this thing off
IMG_3552.JPG

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor