Torque Converter Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
Pics below show the before and after of my transmission rebuild. I am at the final stages of the reinstall, bolting the torque converter to the flywheel and one of the female threads on the TC will not accept a bolt. I tried each of my bolts and this one hole is a problem. Just my fingers, no tools. Each bolt will thread smoothly into the other two holes. Any help, tips or advice would be appreciated. I would hate to have to take out the transmission to fix something. The torque converter is brand new. What are the odds that it is cross threaded?

Thanks!

Attachments

• trans 1.jpg
    trans 1.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 153
  • trans 2.jpg
    trans 2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 168
  • trans 3.jpg
    trans 3.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 140

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Chasing the hole with a tap would be your best bet - if you pull your starter it will give you room. Since it's a new convertor make sure the thread isn't different, I've seen some stupid stuff.

Reactions: 2 users

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
Thank you both for the quick response. I will try the tap. There is plenty of room to work, I do have the starter out and the headers are not bolted in. I pulled the headers to facilitate the reinstall of the trans and while they were out I media blasted them, primed and painted with VHT. I used a large Char-Broil grill to bake the paint in stages. I uploaded a pic below.

Attachments

• header 1.jpg
    header 1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Fuel pump looks like it's upside down....oh wait, never mind. :)

Make sure to get the tap STRAIGHT. I'm assuming the hole at least lines up correctly with the flexplate. I agree with others that it may just need chasing or the threads got screwed up somehow. Did you take a flashlight to make sure there wasn't any garbage in there that doesn't belong, like welding slag, etc.?

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
most likely a ball of slag from welding the tab onto the TC, make sure the threads are the same as stated above, they may have mixed up the tads. If same threads then chase with a tap (test tap on good hole first), it should not take much force only when you hit the slag it should break free then be easy to tap. If not something is wrong and I would send it back for a new TC

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I would try a thread chaser rather than a thread cutting tap first. Hopefully it is just paint or like stated above, some welding spatter.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
If tapping a blind hole you will need a #3 tap (bottom tap) to get all the way down. If the threads are stripped you will have to use a heli coil to repair it. You can buy them at a good quality auto parts store

• Agree

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
Thank you all for the helpful replies. I called in reinforcements on this one and reached out to a close friend of mine who is also a professional mechanic. Hearing my tale of woe, he offered to stop by last night and he confirmed that something was wrong with that particular thread (it was not just me! sweet vindication!!!) He cleaned the threads out with a chase and did have to end up using a tap to straighten those threads out. Once that happened he was able to sock the bolt down. It was still a little tough going in, compared to the other two that threaded butter smooth, but at least its straight.

I should be able to find some time today to finish bolting up the headers, add transmission fluid and start the car for the first time this year! I am very happy that this problem was able to be resolved with the trans in the car

• Happy
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor