Trans shift at WOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

kzlkxb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 21, 2018
Hi guys, I have a 86 montecarlo ss that has ZZ4 350 motor and a 200r4 trans. When driven at light loads and part throttle the car shifts nice. When I manually shift through the gears the car pulls hard and the engine revs to 5600 rpms. But when I put the car in OD and floor it the car shifts at around 3500 rpms. I have messed around with the TV trans cable a little but can’t find a happy medium for normal driving vs gassing it. So what can I do to make the rpms run out when the car is place in OD and have it feel the same as when I manually go through the gears? Do I need to mess with the trans governer or something else?

Attachments

• 1C4B2BE7-2D24-42FD-86C6-53ACAB34DBF8.jpeg
    1C4B2BE7-2D24-42FD-86C6-53ACAB34DBF8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 179

kzlkxb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 21, 2018
Car has a MW9 trans. And as far as I know it has the stock valve body. I bought the car last winter and started working on it this spring.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
There's really only one correct adjustment position for the TV cable, just an fyi.

The shift points are really controlled by the valvebody and the governor. One possibility is that your transmission has a different valvebody and/or governor (one of the lower performance versions). Another option is that one of the springs came loose from the governor. Maybe the tv plunger in the valvebody is messed up somehow?

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Don't play with the tv cable, thats how people burn up those transmissions.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Have you adjusted the TV cable using the correct method? Are the brackets and carb linkage identical to what the 305 HO used?
\Adjustment - with engine off/
-have the throttle pedal floored and hold it down
-press the TV cable adjuster and slide the cable housing away from the carb as far as it goes
-release gas pedal and push it to the floor - TV cable will now be self adjusted.(make sure carpet is not bunched up under gas pedal and also check throttle cable adjustment - pedal to the floor - throttle plates very close to vertical)

kzlkxb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 21, 2018
Have you adjusted the TV cable using the correct method? Are the brackets and carb linkage identical to what the 305 HO used?
\Adjustment - with engine off/
-have the throttle pedal floored and hold it down
-press the TV cable adjuster and slide the cable housing away from the carb as far as it goes
-release gas pedal and push it to the floor - TV cable will now be self adjusted.(make sure carpet is not bunched up under gas pedal and also check throttle cable adjustment - pedal to the floor - throttle plates very close to vertical)
Yes I adjusted the tv cable according to the service manual procedure. I am not sure that the bracket at the carb is the correct one for this crate engine. My guess is it is the bracket from the stock 305. The slide on the tv cable is fully retracted after the adjustment procedure, the wot movement of the throttle blade does not move the slide toward the carb at all.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
At WOT is there slack in the TV cable at the carb linkage? The movement to WOT should have 'bottomed out' the cable - no slack.
You could move the adjustment further from the carb one or two notches to give the cable 'extra pull distance' to test.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Make sure you are getting full TV pull at full throttle. With the proper Monte SS governor and valve body it should shift around 5600 rpm. Drop the pan and pull the governor otherwise. It will have one tiny weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor