"Turn Key" Is Not An Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Came out nice. The shiny black paint, old top trim, and deleted quarter windows make it look all classy like a Towncar. Needs a continental kit :lol: .

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Thanks! :rofl: Continental kit :lol: Maybe 59 Plymouth style with a faux spare tire buldge on the trunk lid, hahaha.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Been driving the sedan around for the past week and a half or so, running decent, drives well, stops better after a little brake work, lol. Being that I've contracted this strange sickness that doesn't allow me to leave well enough alone, I've been dickin around with trying to get a little more oomph out of the ole bird, keep in mind it already has a 2100 carb, and hei upgrades. I still felt there was more hidden somewhere, I know with my 2.35 gear ratio and over sized tires, she'll never be a ripper, but I can improve on a complete dog, :lol: . My thoughts, hell with it, I'll recurve the distributor for sh*ts and giggles, since I have the springs laying around anyway, :roll: . Here's a little run down for those who do not know what that entails.

Firts step: Remove the cap
hei03.jpg

Next: Rotor
hei05.jpg

Now you are ready to remove the springs carefully, may want to use needle nose pliers, unhook the springs and set them aside, you may need them later.
hei06.jpg

You now are looking at this, while the springs are out, make sure your weights move nice and free with out sticking.
hei07.jpg

The new springs, one heavy one medium is generally the formula to use.
hei08.jpg

New ones installed
hei04.jpg

The verdict:
Definitely an improvement, instead of a lazy wind up, the engine is much more responsive. I had to knock my previous base time back down to 8.5 degrees from the 12 I had it at. Being that the mechanical advance comes in much sooner, it was causing some hellacious spark knock. I still have a little on top to be rid of (high rpm, WOT) I'll have to make a stop to eliminate that. Oh, I almost forgot, rolling at 5mph, if I stuff it to the floor, for a split second, the car "looses traction" :banana: hahaha. I know big whoop right? It's quite the accomplishment considering the little one with 2.73 gears and a 4 speed won't even do that, not without dumping the clutch that is, :rofl:

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You may have the only 4.2 Eagle on the planet that can do that. Actually, it sounded really good 0-60. Stock exhaust?

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
:rofl: Internally stock 4.2 that is, lol, and thanks. Yep the exhaust is stock, even still has a catalytic conervter intact :shock: , I haven't had a vehicle with one of those in over ten years :lol:

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Wow - what an awesome car! I almost picked one up a few months ago. They are hard to ind - an old 4WD car! It really was a crossover before any such thing existed. Good luck with it, and really nice job on the restoration!

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Thanks! They're fun to tinker with little cars, pretty easy to work on too :D .

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
So the first real problem struck today with the jeep, the miss was on her way home with it and it died. :-? Off I go in the little red eagle to try to see if I can get her going again, getting fuel, must be no spark, great! :x Some asshat removed the spare parts from it too! :blam: So I hooked up the tow strap, and dragged the jeep back to my work via Eagle, :rofl: . That must have been a sight for all the locals, I was in too much of a hurry to grab pics though, lol. So I sent the miss back on her way home with the Eagle :lol: she hates it, the car gave her quite the rash of sh*t the other day, hahahaha. On my lunch I did a little investigating, couple of my concerns was the possibility of the cam gear getting wiped out, or maybe a broken timing chain, I never put a new set on when I built the jeep, original has well over 200k. Rotor still spins as it should, no slop in the gers meshing, so that was a relief. On to the electronic end. My initial thought, that goddamned chinese ignition module I put in there, but wait, maybe not. Before I deemed it dead, I figured I'd test the coil seeing that it's an easy check. Ah fooo, primary resistance A OK, secondary, dead. :evil: I was hoping it checked out good, I know right where my spare ignition modules are, coils.......Not so much, I have them, but damned if I can remember where I stuck them last, lol. This may be a little harder to explain to the miss on how to find one and bring it to me, maybe I just should have her rob the one from the malibu :rofl: . At least it's nothing major, could've been worse.

:blam: argh, I just realized, I locked the malibu, I have the keys, sh*t, lol.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Oldsmoletick said:
I have them, but damned if I can remember where I stuck them last
Story of my life.
Glad it's something simple. Better that than a cam gear or timing chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor