Vapor Lock Confirmation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
After cranking it built up to its normal 6-7

I would try reving it up to see if it drops. I had a problem once that came out of no where when the GP died when I was accelerating on the highway. I was in my way to buy a new A/F wideband cause the one I had died so I was flying blind. It would idle fine and I could slowly get up to speed but I was on a busy highway. I had my spare carb so I installed that but same problem. The fuel pump was on it's way out so I limped it home and changed the pump.

Reactions: 1 user

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
I would try reving it up to see if it drops. I had a problem once that came out of no where when the GP died when I was accelerating on the highway. I was in my way to buy a new A/F wideband cause the one I had died so I was flying blind. It would idle fine and I could slowly get up to speed but I was on a busy highway. I had my spare carb so I installed that but same problem. The fuel pump was on it's way out so I limped it home and changed the pump.
Good to know thank you! I revved it and it maintains pressure like normal. I’m thinking about replacing the pump if nothing else, just to rule that out as an issue.

Last edited:

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I had a situation about 1 1/2 yrs ago that I suspected was vaporlock. After the 3rd episode in as many weeks, I added the insulated spacer between the manifold and the carburetor, rerouted the fuel line, and have not had any problem since. Also as added insurance, several weeks later I installed an electric fuel pump, including a pre-pump filter.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
it is when traveling down the highway, the gas flow prevents vapor locks
Right, it seems to only happen when you park the car, come back in 10-15 minutes to restart, make it out to about 1/4-1/2 block away, and stall in the middle lane when the float bowl goes empty..

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
Wanted to update everyone.

I continued to drive without issue until it happened again. This time I unscrewed the gas cap thinking my newly installed vent may have been plugged causing a vacuum in the tank that eventually became too much for the pump to pull against. Well, needless to say it happened again a couple weeks later with the cap loose. Runs fine around town, but get on it at all or high RPM for a while it starts to drain the bowls and eventually die.

Double checked my supply lines at the tank and found I kinked the rubber line when putting the new tank in back in March. It must have flowed enough to keep the bowls full at low RPM, but any extended pulling it couldn’t keep up. What an idiot...

Thank you all for your help!

Attachments

• 0266877C-70A4-4A1E-B884-CA17FED70CDC.jpeg
    0266877C-70A4-4A1E-B884-CA17FED70CDC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 150
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor