Went & did some tire kicking

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Got a new pump at O'Reilly's & had it swapped out pretty quick just to be foiled by a too weak battery. Last ditch all day charge didn't work dispite the battery tester I have keeps saying good. Now it's offically new battery time. Atleast Jr. was able to see how to do a pump replacement. Then after wrapping that up I showed him how to do the factory type terminal crimping & made a new front to rear harness as we got in our LSwiring.com order in.

Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Got a battery today &
200.gif

She moved on her own for the first time (guessing) since '09. Used about a quart of gas in no time out of the atv tank. Transmission went right into gear. Only issue found is the heater hose at the heater valve. So added to the will do list is heating & cooling hoses just because. Jr. was only disapointed he didn't have his tablet handy to record the first start up & run.

Reactions: 8 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Tested a theory on the fuel line tonight. Hooked the hand vacuum pump up to the pump end of the hard line to see if I could suck any fuel from the tank to the front of the car. Didn't even get a pressure built up. So I'm thinking one of Mickey's cousins might of chewed one of the tank end hoses. Worse case would be the sending unit's pick up tube is bad & he gets the NOS unit in the parts stash. Regardless the tank is coming out when we get it into the garage. This way I'll test the hard line for pin/rust holes.

Reactions: 5 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
What was suppose to be a father & son evening ended up with just dad checking over a few things. Gave the outside of the windshield & back glass a good cleaning since the car was originally parked. Since the smell is not as bad as when it came home I looked over the condition of things inside. Outside of the needed scrubbing, the seat covers are still looking soild but sun bleached on the cloth seating surface, head rest are questionable as they look to have the inner foam turning into dust & filtering out of them in the edges. Headliner material is shot & has those "fix it" plastic screw in material holders or what ever one would call them. Plan on getting an ABS board for the OE map light. Sun visors look shot & will need to find set that has a passenger side with the retainer for the snap in mirror unless I can find the lighted mirror. Carpet has fadded out line of the OE floor mats. Those are shot but might try to refresh the color of the carpet If I can get all the funk scrubbed out. Seatbelts have a good bit of sun bleaching but still looks serviceable but I wouldn't mind getting the '85 up saddle tan just because I like the later style buckles. The plastic panels have some of the typical scuffs but no major damage & still has good color even with the fading. Rear self could be replaced & again would like the later carpeted saddle one. Will beed to have a hole for the third brake light as I told Jr. it's being added for saftey (have one but also like to get a saddle one too.) Did get a stick column for the stick conversion. Dash will need to be delt with as it has the typical cracks. I want to replace it with a dual speaker one, doesn't matter if it'll be a early or late style. Steering wheel has the typical broken chrome trim & sticky but he wants to use the Chevette sourced 2 spoke sport wheel. Not sure it'll stay block or will have to dye it tan to match. One thing I don't have much hope for is the jute insulation even though I really haven't seen much in the exposed areas & was minimal in the trunk.

Now I finally got a pic of his front to rear harness that I made. Both cars will have one of these better (in my opinion) harnesses.
DSCN4424.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Did a quick wiper blade swap with the spare Trico set to find out the passenger side has a crack the part that attaches to the transmission linkage. Grabbed the extra one & swapped out the bad one. Then as I was getting the needed parts out I relized there is a difference in the overflow tanks between the '79 & '81. The '79 has a intergraded vent tube molded in & uses a closed cap, the '81 doesn't & uses a vented cap.

Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Did a quick wiper blade swap with the spare Trico set to find out the passenger side has a crack the part that attaches to the transmission linkage. Grabbed the extra one & swapped out the bad one. Then as I was getting the needed parts out I relized there is a difference in the overflow tanks between the '79 & '81. The '79 has a intergraded vent tube molded in & uses a closed cap, the '81 doesn't & uses a vented cap.
So the question is, do you have the cap he needed?

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
On the subject of your custom harness, did you lace it using copper wire as opposed to aluminum and what gauge of wire went into it? Same for all the circuits or varied depending on the application, such as brake versus tail light or turn signal or back up?

Nick

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So the question is, do you have the cap he needed?
The car & spare front clip both have the correct cap. Was going to use one of the spare ones for my '81 for the asethetics. It's amazing how much I've forgotten about my '79 when I had it back in the early '90's.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor