Went & did some tire kicking

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
You looking for a ready to rock and roll unit or a 'some work required item here? I do happen to have two of them, one from a 75 V8 Chev Monza and another from an 82-83? Camaro. Pretty sure both of them will be needing synchros plus a thorough cleaning.

Back before I decided to commit heresy by stuffing a Muncie in my Monte, I started to collect the bits needed to plug in a Saginaw, until I remembered how fragile they really were! Turned out to be more cost effective to build the M-20 Super. (Different first gear and matching cluster, among other changes)

Biggest hassle getting it to you would be the method of transport. Too big to mail . I might even have that dumb-*ss transmission mount that doubled as the mounting arm for the cat. Not sure what shape it is in.

Would probably have to go Purolator.

Nick
Would like to find a ready to go . Odds are it'll ba a later H body one since it'll have the reverse switch & a flat tailhousing.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
No Jr. this afternoon/evening so I did some solo stuff to see what else is needed & some dad ideas for when we mess with things (& get his GBOTM pictures) tomorrow. Cleaned up the one extra grill a bit & put some shine to a few spots of the chrome which isn't bad for 44 year old chrome plastic. Better than anything I have for the '81. I'm having the idea of having the small black detail trim to be either painted brown to match the car or tan for the roof but think brown will work better. We already areed on making the grill's egg crates meduim to slightly dark silver gray metalic. The headlight bezels will also have the black details treated the same. Was thinking of a simular thing with the '79 parking lights but Jr. wants the '78 (& they are the best pair anyways) so that won't be happening. I've thought about adding 1" paint stripe to the snake bliders as I'm not a fan of the wider trim & wish is had the narrower trim as they break the lower sheet metal better. He likes what's there so we roll with it but he might like the stripe detail. Then I went into the 4 speed conversion stuff again. Can't find the Z bar rebuild parts that I thought was in the '81's parts but it might be in with my parts for the still born '72 replacement stash (who don't have 2 gen A body stick parts mixed in?) which is buried in the one corner. Might even have the container that has the spare headrest stuff with it cause I think it might be better to replace the originals since they look like the foam is turning into dust from what is comeing out of the weathered covers. Even got into some of the wire stash to see if I want to use the '84 up dash harness by repinning/converting the C100 connector to the '83 & older one. It's gauge ready & I don't have a section of the brown/white resistor wire used. Now if the weather would be dry long enough on my time off I might be able to organize things so I can have work space so I can get Jr. dirty working on this.

Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
This thread needs more actual Jr. Mechanic involvement. Make him earn it.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
This thread needs more actual Jr. Mechanic involvement. Make him earn it.
It will but tonight was one of his first "big kid" party at one of his female classmates house for her birthday. He impressed her dad by iding his '85 Cutlass & 3rd gen Camaro along letting him know of this Monte. The dad told me he was surprised any of the kids knew what they were. Then he tells me his daughter wants his square body sittting in the lean to for her first ride & she wants to work on it herself. Maybe there was a reason why he wanted to go...

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Look at the bright side, it's neither van nor wagon.
And if the wife knew what went on in both seats in the '81 she'd torch everything related to the car. As we all know never underestimate a teenage boy with a car & a date.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
And if the wife knew what went on in both seats in the '81 she'd torch everything related to the car. As we all know never underestimate a teenage boy with a car & a date.
I've always preferred the full, not split, bench front seat in my gbodies. It's not just the lowest cost option...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor