Went & did some tire kicking

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Went over some general maintenace stuff with Jr. Did some bulb swaps to show him how to to find out the Sylvanian LED bulbs for the back up lights do not seat in the socket. So it was just the 194 marker bulbs that were swapped out. I'm going to look into what other quality brands that will seat. Looking over the bulbs it looks like they all are originals, front ambers have paint instead of being glass color. Then we fired up the engine just to see how long that 1liter tank will have it run. Just about five minutes but quiet & fairly smooth for needing a tune up.

Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada

Okay, this is a search link for the Philips Line of LED bulbs. They are direct replacement for both the 1156 and 1157 filament versions. They also come colored, meaning that even though they appear clear, when lit, they show as a color, red, amber, blue, etc. The product codes will appear as 84175 and 84176 base numbers with a letter suffix to denote the color but they are, de facto, the old p/n's.

I just changed out the stock bulbs in my G-10 Van for a set of these; 1156 and 1157 in the rear tail lights and 1157 in the front units. The plan now is to revisit the fronts and sub in a pair of 1157a's. That gives me amber front turn signals in case the clear units are no longer legal. As for the side marker lights, you ought to be able to tweak the link to make them appear.

All mine came from a Canadian!! supplier but this link ought to show US sources.

The only abberation that I have encountered with them, and with the Osram/Sylvania's before them, is that, if you turn the key to on, and then pull the headlight switch, you get solid blinker lights on the dash. With the headlights on, they will not blink until the engine is running??? Then they do blink correctly but, when shut off again, go back to being a solid light. They do go out as they should when the light switch is turned off and the engine is shut off; no headlights and they work as the factory intended. This might be a blinker switch issue but doesn't seem to be a short so I am living with it until rotation day when i can bring the van back in and start repairing all the insults it has endured this summer.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA

This is really the way to go when doing LED, you can put in vehicle and it will tell you all the bulbs. I never go with what they recommend because usually they have multiple options and then can get a higher lumen for cheaper as well. Also if you are able to wait until Black Friday they will usually run a special promo code, I ordered all my blazer bulbs as once this way and saved a ton on an already great deal for what you get

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Might wait for the black Friday as the car won't be road legal until the spring.
15% isn't a ton, but added up for me and then got everything with one shipping payment. I think you will be hard pressed to find a brighter bulb that lasts

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Not much of an update as the change in schedules, mother nature & the honey do list but something. I got most of Jr's 4 speed conversion parts, need a Saginaw but they don't seem to be out there like what I was used to when I did my conversions. With luck I might trip over one. The easy stuff is the plastic floor hump & upper rod boot which I might just get them this weekend. I should add a shifter boot as the extra one has two wear tears on the bottom fold & a upper rod causeit has noticeable wear on both stud ends. Scored a NOS rear lower plate pocket/bumper trim. Even got the adjusters & NOS springs for the headlight buckets. Since a Saginaw is what's planned to go in I got a Jegs TH350 crossmember since it was just under $93 (shipping hadded to be added). Still digging into the '81's extras to see what else can go to Ol' Millie.

Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
You looking for a ready to rock and roll unit or a 'some work required item here? I do happen to have two of them, one from a 75 V8 Chev Monza and another from an 82-83? Camaro. Pretty sure both of them will be needing synchros plus a thorough cleaning.

Back before I decided to commit heresy by stuffing a Muncie in my Monte, I started to collect the bits needed to plug in a Saginaw, until I remembered how fragile they really were! Turned out to be more cost effective to build the M-20 Super. (Different first gear and matching cluster, among other changes)

Biggest hassle getting it to you would be the method of transport. Too big to mail . I might even have that dumb-*ss transmission mount that doubled as the mounting arm for the cat. Not sure what shape it is in.

Would probably have to go Purolator.

Nick

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor