What did you buy for your G body today? [2023]

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
Paid for new 225/55R16 tires to be installed and speed balanced on my 1987 IROC wheels which were just refinished. See pic.

PS center cap emblem has not yet been received from vendor.

PPS All four rims are designated as "FRONTS." IOW, I should not need spacers when installed on my 1985 El Camino.

Attachments

• 20230225_113933.jpg
    20230225_113933.jpg
    786.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230225_113927.jpg
    20230225_113927.jpg
    831.6 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I broke down and actually bought some compressor clutch tools. I went to Otter Zone and they have some of these tools you can "rent" for free (basically you get your deposit back when you bring them back) and it's pretty cool when you need a weird tool that you don't want to shell out hundreds for and use it once. When I work on some of this junk, that's what I do, go do the rental thing. I looked at their kit and it was beat to sh*t and the threads weren't clean and straight. I was like, heck no I'm not going to use this crap on my junk, so I bit the bullet and started a search for a decent set. Initially I thought just get a puller and installer tool, but fudge, after seeing the prices for just those tools, I could get a whole puller set for just a bit more.

Was scoping out a nice Snap On set, and did a bit more investigating. Found out the Snap On set was made by SPX tools, with a slightly different case and Snap On name. OTC/SPX/Snap On puller sets are all the same thing. So I went snooping around for an even better deal. Made an offer on a brand new set that had a clip broken on the case. Never been used. Each piece has a laser etched number code on it that you match with the index so that you can mix and match the pieces depending on what compressor you're working on and what you're trying to do. All for about $10 more than buying the two tools separate. I really didn't want to buy them, but I'll be danged if I tear up my R4 using someone else's problem tools. At least I can just blame it on myself this way.

When doing an R4 compressor, you really do need the puller and installer tools to do it right. You can redo them the rest of the way without those tools, but you never want to hammer on the shaft or pry on the clutch plate. You'll do more damage than good. Plus, the fugged up part is GM compressors have SAE threads on the shaft and metric inside threads on the clutch plate. Very early versions were SAE internal threads too, so you still have to know what you're working with. Watch out for remans and aftermarket stuff. No telling what you'll get. If you can re-use and save your original OEM R4 compressor, do so whenever possible.

1677519211208.png

Reactions: 4 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I broke down and actually bought some compressor clutch tools. I went to Otter Zone and they have some of these tools you can "rent" for free (basically you get your deposit back when you bring them back) and it's pretty cool when you need a weird tool that you don't want to shell out hundreds for and use it once. When I work on some of this junk, that's what I do, go do the rental thing. I looked at their kit and it was beat to sh*t and the threads weren't clean and straight. I was like, heck no I'm not going to use this crap on my junk, so I bit the bullet and started a search for a decent set. Initially I thought just get a puller and installer tool, but fudge, after seeing the prices for just those tools, I could get a whole puller set for just a bit more.

Was scoping out a nice Snap On set, and did a bit more investigating. Found out the Snap On set was made by SPX tools, with a slightly different case and Snap On name. OTC/SPX/Snap On puller sets are all the same thing. So I went snooping around for an even better deal. Made an offer on a brand new set that had a clip broken on the case. Never been used. Each piece has a laser etched number code on it that you match with the index so that you can mix and match the pieces depending on what compressor you're working on and what you're trying to do. All for about $10 more than buying the two tools separate. I really didn't want to buy them, but I'll be danged if I tear up my R4 using someone else's problem tools. At least I can just blame it on myself this way.

When doing an R4 compressor, you really do need the puller and installer tools to do it right. You can redo them the rest of the way without those tools, but you never want to hammer on the shaft or pry on the clutch plate. You'll do more damage than good. Plus, the fugged up part is GM compressors have SAE threads on the shaft and metric inside threads on the clutch plate. Very early versions were SAE internal threads too, so you still have to know what you're working with. Watch out for remans and aftermarket stuff. No telling what you'll get. If you can re-use and save your original OEM R4 compressor, do so whenever possible.
yeah, I work retail for Advance and some of the tools come back and it's like "WTF did you do to them?" I'll pull the set and tell the manager to get another one from the distributor warehouse. broken puller jaws, stripped threads, missing bolts for certain applications, etc

Reactions: 1 user

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Not exactly for the el Camino but the wife got this for me as a little birthday present. How sweet is this thing! 5616E038-0B02-475F-980C-D716742F527F.jpeg

Attachments

• 4E5204BD-CE87-4428-9A72-B6DFC6DD2F21.jpeg
    4E5204BD-CE87-4428-9A72-B6DFC6DD2F21.jpeg
    813.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Are you painting it yellow?
I’m thinking about it! Whenever I get around to finishing my model and painting it I may just spray this at the same time

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The Summit SFI unit developed a wobble the last two days we ran it. So off with the budget damper. I decided my hood and my life were worth more than the cost of this.

ED057471-70C9-4B3C-BF1C-0BA73B8B9F05.jpeg

Attachments

• 657C5E5D-B02E-474A-80C3-CD4766FA2924.jpeg
    657C5E5D-B02E-474A-80C3-CD4766FA2924.jpeg
    796 KB · Views: 51
  • 4DFA1F2E-EAE0-4D5D-B28F-62D85E995EA3.jpeg
    4DFA1F2E-EAE0-4D5D-B28F-62D85E995EA3.jpeg
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor