What did you do to your G-Body today? [2011-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed a y block leading from fuel tank to fuel rails. Installed the arms and motor for the windshield wipers. Then looked and scratched my head. Maybe more 2mara.

Pulled all the injectors out to send them to a diesel shop.

Swapped in Fbody front seats.
These seats can be had for not too much money and the tracks swapped without issue. The whole process by myself took me less than 45 minutes start to finish. Fit and finish IMO looks great.
If your not a purist who doesnt have 500+ dollars for some nice brand new buckets, this is a great alternative. Im telling you, if your on the fence, do it. You will be happy you did.
And the differance in comfort is ASStranomical!!!

Took it for a short drive and calibrated my new speedometer. It is now close, but I will need to do it again to get it correct.

Well, since my wagon 'fixup' is so glacially slow, it does not yet merit its own build thread, and this entry should be titled, 'What did to do...this week'?

I finally found a source for a decent fan shroud to replace my cracked one. Before it gets trashed in 'storage' waiting to be installed, maybe I should prep the radiator support, paint it, put the dang radiator back in and 'be done with it'. Then put the new fan shroud on when it arrives.

This is the story of my life lately. On any given day between work crises and family 'crises', I have a few minutes to escape to the garage or 'hide out' on the Forum, find parts, and live vicariously in others' car projects.

So, what did I do 'today'?

I ordered POR-15 and MetalPrep earlier in the week. Wednesday evening, I dug out the sand wedged in the joint between the headlight extension and the central part of the support. Thursday evening, I wire brushed and sanded the accessible places on the rad support and vacuumed out all the crumbs. The POR box arrived yesterday afternoon, so I hosed down the rad support with the rust converter spray.

I chose the POR-15 in the tiny cans, so the stuff does not go bad between small jobs (at $50 a quart!). The small cans only come in gloss black, so I will top coat with POR's Chassis Coat, then perhaps a mist of Eastwood's chassis black. I have not had consistent result with Eastwood's rust conversion paints, but I like the looks of spray Chassis black.

With luck, I will have it all painted by Monday and can drop in the radiator next weekend.

For the rest of you, this may only be two days' work....

Last edited:
Well, since my wagon 'fixup' is so glacially slow, it does not yet merit its own build thread, and this entry should be titled, 'What did to do...this week'?

I know your pain on the slow progress... My car went off the road in 2000 and didn't return to drivable for 9years... Since then I just keep adding and modifying as time and money allow.

I received and installed my new seat covers today. They will help clean it up till I can afford to re-upholster them...

POWMIACvrs.jpg

With luck, I will have it all painted by Monday and can drop in the radiator next weekend.

Well, set my sights on three coats, and looks one will be it for the day. But, it's progress. The 85% of the radiator support I could get to sucked down a half pint of POR-15. I'd say they sized the cans just right.

Attachments

• Rad Support Paint.jpg
    Rad Support Paint.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 177
The only thing funnier than holding a flashlight in my teeth while slapping on the last of the Top Coat? Listening to my neighbor run over rocks and roots with his mower, trying to get the last of his overgrown back yard beaten down tonight - probably also by flashlight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor