What did you do to your G-Body today? [2011-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Wednesday night i swapped out my old 8.5", 3.73 powertrax drum brake rear end with a 8.5", 3.42 factory post rear end. i also added ls1 rear disc brakes at the same time. tonight i finished the project with attaching the parking brake. this is a welcome change.

Just curious, what 3.73 problem are you wanting to fix? Other than the obvious, better H/W mpg, marginally faster top end?

Only asking because my 442 is geared amazingly well with the [heavily beefed up] 4 speed overdrive and 3.73 out back.

Getting the Wilwood rear disk upgrade on mine when it gets back from being blasted and coated.

I got my new rearend home. I got a good deal on posi 8.5 from cureless. View attachment 54555 little crusty but nothing a wire wheel and paint can't fix. Going to need new brake lines and wheel cylinders. Can you see the quarter inch drive socket on the bleed screw? View attachment 54556

Just FYI, I've got a shop here that is blasting and coating mine for only $200. I expected more for an entire rear end so thought you might want to consider it? You will probably never have to touch it again.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I noticed my oil pressure gauge was bouncing all over the map. Looks like the hard-to-reach sender unit. I KNOW I have a few somewhere in my cluster**** of a garage, but I can't find any. I wasted hours looking. Now I gotta BUY one, and I'm sure I'll find one of mine soon after I fix it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
I got my new rearend home. I got a good deal on posi 8.5 from cureless. View attachment 54555 little crusty but nothing a wire wheel and paint can't fix. Going to need new brake lines and wheel cylinders. Can you see the quarter inch drive socket on the bleed screw? View attachment 54556
Looks like mine when i brought home. had mine blasted and powder coated
IMAG1307.jpg

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
This weekend will be my 18th birthday and my first paycheck from my new job so I aim to do some tidying up. New transmission pan gasket and filter, take the front of the motor off and put the damn oil slinger back on I forgot and fix the oil mist problem. Oil change, and then save up for some exhaust or buy some cheapie mufflers. Oh, and new thermostat (hotter Gonna try a 195 and fill the system with 50/50 for winter. It's like 70 water and 30 coolant right now).

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Just curious, what 3.73 problem are you wanting to fix? Other than the obvious, better H/W mpg, marginally faster top end?

Only asking because my 442 is geared amazingly well with the [heavily beefed up] 4 speed overdrive and 3.73 out back.

Getting the Wilwood rear disk upgrade on mine when it gets back from being blasted and coated.
i was looking to address several items with the changing of the rear end. when i first envisioned my build up 12 years ago it involved a built 455, 2004r and a rear end to handle it. then life got in the way, found a stock '74 455, couldn't afford a build up so i stuck it in the my car., stock. then i ran into a '85 442 in the local yard and got the trans and open diff from it. i had the trans built but couldn't afford to build the rear end so i added a powertrax. well this all looks good on paper but it drove terribly. eng was under powered and acted more like a diesel, all torque not a lot of HP. the powertrax has a tendency to jerk or pull to one side or the other depending on whether it was locked or not. and 3.73 gears on a low rpm eng was overkill. i eventually swapped out the 2004r for a t56 trans but then found out the 3.73 gears negated the use of first gear. first gear was more like a granny low gear. so when i had the opportunity and money to buy a 3.42 8.5" factory posi i grabbed it. even though i could still start out in second gear, I'm using first gear more often. i never considered increased fuel economy with the change, its a 455 olds, no matter what i do, i won't get good fuel economy. it was more for the ease of an everyday driver with 500 ft/lbs of torque. i would even consider switching to a 3.23if if could find one cheap enough.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
This weekend will be my 18th birthday and my first paycheck from my new job so I aim to do some tidying up. New transmission pan gasket and filter, take the front of the motor off and put the damn oil slinger back on I forgot and fix the oil mist problem. Oil change, and then save up for some exhaust or buy some cheapie mufflers. Oh, and new thermostat (hotter Gonna try a 195 and fill the system with 50/50 for winter. It's like 70 water and 30 coolant right now).

Well, Happy Birthday!! Nice to see a kid behaving himself and tooling on his car rather than out stealing someone else's and driving around high on meth. Cheers!!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
Does it count that I went to the trunk of the Monte Carlo, pulled out the power steering pump and clutch fan from the 305 and slapped them on my kid's 80 K10? He's 16, just got his first part time job and now has money to spend on parts. So less fixing the Monte and more welding rust repair panels on the pickup. At least my Monte parts purchasing hasn't stopped and I'll be able to make some progress after ol crusty gets painted.

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
IMG_0030.JPG IMG_0031.JPG up a 81 Malibu with no transmission so I put a th350 in it I just need a drive shaft and a fuel tank and put new fender and door on here's a few pics

Reactions: 1 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Happy birthday dude!

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor