What did you do to your G-Body today? [2011-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Xdrenaline- don't feel bad. While I was under there I was reminded that I still need to drop the transmission and fix the busted speedo gear. I had put a new speedo cable in and somehow it rubbed against the exhaust pipes. That melted it solid shut which jammed it all up and the weak link was the speedo drive gear on the output shaft. There is a tiny stainless steel spring clip that holds the gear in place and it probably popped off. Do you have any idea how much work it is to drop a transmission, open it, just to put the stupid clip back on the gear, and reinstall everything with new gaskets and seals?!? I absolutely do NOT-NOT-NOT want to do it. But it's going on 4 years now......:doh:

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
worked on my 79 calais with the bbo. swapped out the front brakes from the c4hd units i installed 12 years ago, and finally mounted the c5 units on blazer knuckles. only drove it 7 miles, not enough to get a good impression. hoping to get my rear discs in place later this week.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Xdrenaline- don't feel bad. While I was under there I was reminded that I still need to drop the transmission and fix the busted speedo gear. I had put a new speedo cable in and somehow it rubbed against the exhaust pipes. That melted it solid shut which jammed it all up and the weak link was the speedo drive gear on the output shaft. There is a tiny stainless steel spring clip that holds the gear in place and it probably popped off. Do you have any idea how much work it is to drop a transmission, open it, just to put the stupid clip back on the gear, and reinstall everything with new gaskets and seals?!? I absolutely do NOT-NOT-NOT want to do it. But it's going on 4 years now......:doh:
Can you just pull the tailhousing with the trans in the car? I thought you could with the Saginaw.

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
little more work on the cutlass. got the driver side top trim on. broke 4 new clips while i was at it
14362615_10206517931176654_800481543737310411_o.jpg
14258279_10206517933376709_4771334058104763422_o.jpg
grrrrrr drivers side complete

Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jared- no, it looks like you can, but there's a problem. The main shaft, all of it's gears, and bearings, are secured to the tail housing by a snap ring. You have to unbolt and separate the tail housing to get at that snap ring. It is located in a part of the tail housing casting that sits just inside the main case. So even when you remove the tail housing just enough to get at that snap ring- all the input shaft roller bearings fall out. Now you need to open the side cover just to get at the loose roller bearings. Then to get them all back in place you need to fill the bearings cavity with grease and arrange them properly. Trying to do this on your back is not something I would recommend. No, just yank the stupid thing out and do it the right way, on a bench, in comfort. Then you won't mind checking everything and fitting new gaskets where needed. Here is a great Pontiac factory manual scan. See fig. 7C-7. http://www.ronspontiacpage.com/1968PSM/pages/7C.4.speed.saginaw.manual/7C.004.html

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
IMG_0124.JPG
Driving season is close to over, so I've been working on getting ready for the dyno and dialing in. We finished hood modifications and repaint with some old paint that was laying around. The scoop used to be all the way to the front of the hood so we removed it and slid it back.
IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
We finished hood modifications and repaint with some old paint that was laying around.

That paint is loud! Hood looks good though.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor