What did you do to your G-Body today? [2011-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
pontiacgp said:
Picked up a set of Moog 5661 springs for the rear end. Jut waiting on the f body isolators to install them to try them out..

Are you planning on cutting those rear springs?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
drogg1 said:
pontiacgp said:
Picked up a set of Moog 5661 springs for the rear end. Jut waiting on the f body isolators to install them to try them out..

Are you planning on cutting those rear springs?

I have to see how the car sits with them first but I probably will be cutting off part of a coil...and then I'll find out if I like the compression and rebound rate of those springs.

7.5ltr_442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2009
Sanded bondo'ed sanded bondo'ed

Attachments

• IMAG0279.jpg
    IMAG0279.jpg
    949.8 KB · Views: 625
  • IMAG0281.jpg
    IMAG0281.jpg
    1,009.1 KB · Views: 634
  • IMAG0283.jpg
    IMAG0283.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 625

chevyGuy86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2011
Long Island
got a set of used M/T ET street slicks from a buddy the other day, got them mounted&balanced on a set of stock monte SS rims i had layin in the garage. it turns out theyre just slighty wider in the side wall area, and rubs on the frame rail on the passenger side only. greatt. seems like that axel i had to replace a few months back happens to be JUST a little shorter than stockk..WTF?! how does that even happen? i guess i need a 1/4in spacer only for one side... oh yeah, and the other side rubs just a tad. not nearly as bad as the pass. side :blam:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I doubt it's the axle, it's most likely the rear end isn't centred.

I just drove mine around and liked not to be turning wrenches on it... :)

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
washed waxed and drove it around and cleaned up the area it sleeps then put on the trickle charger.

chevyGuy86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2011
Long Island
pontiacgp said:

is that common? is it possible that its because of the previous owner?? (i am the second owner) it appears from inside the trunk that the drivers rear quarter has been replaced because i notice a seam, but its not there on the pass. side, so i figure its had a replace quarter.... soo if it previously was in an accident, would it have caused it being offcentered? or does it come out of factory like that.. like a defect?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
chevyGuy86 said:
pontiacgp said:

is that common? is it possible that its because of the previous owner?? (i am the second owner) it appears from inside the trunk that the drivers rear quarter has been replaced because i notice a seam, but its not there on the pass. side, so i figure its had a replace quarter.... soo if it previously was in an accident, would it have caused it being offcentered? or does it come out of factory like that.. like a defect?
On my old rear I had to use small spacers just on the drivers side to clear a 255 and the right was fine. When I changed to the 3.73s I bought new bushings and I dont have the problem anymore. Im not sure if it was the bushings or what but this new rear end is fine.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
chevyGuy86 said:
got a set of used M/T ET street slicks from a buddy the other day, got them mounted&balanced on a set of stock monte SS rims i had layin in the garage. it turns out theyre just slighty wider in the side wall area, and rubs on the frame rail on the passenger side only. greatt. seems like that axel i had to replace a few months back happens to be JUST a little shorter than stockk..WTF?! how does that even happen? i guess i need a 1/4in spacer only for one side... oh yeah, and the other side rubs just a tad. not nearly as bad as the pass. side :blam:

I think that's normal to be completely honest. One side sits out just a tad furthur than the other. Nothing a spacer and some longer wheel studs can't fix though. Make sure you measure the studs before you cut if you're using open lug nuts, there's a stupid NHRA rule about certain length studs :roll:

chevyGuy86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2011
Long Island
79loserbluebu said:
chevyGuy86 said:

I think that's normal to be completely honest. One side sits out just a tad furthur than the other. Nothing a spacer and some longer wheel studs can't fix though. Make sure you measure the studs before you cut if you're using open lug nuts, there's a stupid NHRA rule about certain length studs :roll:

do you know the length off hand? and oddly enough, on the passenger side, it seems that i have a good amount of thread on the studs to work well with a spacer. but i just need to do some further R&D in the garage to figure how thick of a spacer i would need

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor