What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
As said I flushed all the things that contain coolant. While I have any engine out, I make it a point to remove the block drains, clean, and reinstall them with anti-seize to aid in any future draining that would need to happen. Why I didn't flush the block while it was bare, I still don't know. Water is clear out the drain holes.

Got a new water pump gasket, thermostat, and its gasket. Only had to go to 3 different stores. Four 5/8" ID washers spaced the pulley out perfectly while also being just smaller than the bolt circle of the pulley and it spins with no wobbles so I'm calling that good. More than a little annoyed the fan clutch stud holes are ****ing metric on this pump for a 1970 american engine from an american company, but far be it from me to expect anyone to do anything correctly anymore.

Aside from that, I've been letting the sealant cure since about 9am this morning, it's 2:35 as of writing this. I have no place I need to be so I'll probably just chill at home and fill it up with coolant and see all the leaks I'll have tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
As said I flushed all the things that contain coolant. While I have any engine out, I make it a point to remove the block drains, clean, and reinstall them with anti-seize to aid in any future draining that would need to happen. Why I didn't flush the block while it was bare, I still don't know. Water is clear out the drain holes.

Got a new water pump gasket, thermostat, and its gasket. Only had to go to 3 different stores. Four 5/8" ID washers spaced the pulley out perfectly while also being just smaller than the bolt circle of the pulley and it spins with no wobbles so I'm calling that good. More than a little annoyed the fan clutch stud holes are ****ing metric on this pump for a 1970 american engine from an american company, but far be it from me to expect anyone to do anything correctly anymore.

Aside from that, I've been letting the sealant cure since about 9am this morning, it's 2:35 as of writing this. I have no place I need to be so I'll probably just chill at home and fill it up with coolant and see all the leaks I'll have tomorrow.

look at the good side, the engine will last at least one more day.... :popcorn:

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Out in the garage tinkering with the MC mirrors I picked up a couple of months ago and the mirror motors that I got on Saturday. Different mount hole spread, the LaSabre motors and the Cadillac motors will not work. I'm bummed about that, but at least they were only $5.49 pr.
It is currently raining lightly outside, but will be increasing as the day goes on. Maybe before it really starts coming down, I'll top off the AC charge on the wife's car, clear and warm tomorrow through Friday.

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Let it run until it got upto temp. Temp is noticibly lower, now that all that sand (still not sure what that is, but it was the consistency of playground sand, the engine was in a 4x4 dodge d series before I got it...) is out of the system. It will probably need flushed 1 or two more times, there's bound to be stuff I missed, but as said both water ports on the block flushed out clean, thermostat hole, heater core and rad (upper and lower hose, as well as fill neck) all came clean. Only time will tell. No leaks yet.

Reactions: 8 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Went out and looked at my radiator setup to see what could be improved. Couldn't find much, but did replace my rear shelf speakers. It turns out that the Wal-Mart Scoshe 5x7/6x8 speakers actually fit ok without major modifications. I had to change the angle of one of the bends in the support bracket, and bend the magnet locating tabs in to compensate for the smaller magnet, but they sound good.

IMG_20200525_171226.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
There was a decent thunderstorm this afternoon, (and a tornado) so naturally I drove it to go get some burgers, supporting local business. After it cooled down again and I topped up the fluids. Temp is probably 10*f or so lower. Doesn't seem to steadily rise and then jut back down anymore, but a longer trip will be in order to see that. Coolant in the overflow before would turn murky brown, as of now it's still green, but as some potential loose stuff gets knocked loose I'm sure I'll have to flush it again.

Reactions: 3 users

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Finally got the drivers frame rail welded up. Here is the before picture. This was way worse than the passenger side. My welder is on its last legs and wouldn’t give me a consistent wire speed. No after pictures till I can dress the welds. I found a big old rats nest in the frame right above where this is.

Attachments

• FF4A5D02-A7F6-46DC-882B-5F240F411611.jpeg
    FF4A5D02-A7F6-46DC-882B-5F240F411611.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 110
  • 3E4E9184-6E7D-40E0-A4E0-A327BF7BE519.jpeg
    3E4E9184-6E7D-40E0-A4E0-A327BF7BE519.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 122
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I thought it was a small allen type set screw. I'm just going off of memory.
It is a small allen head set screw. The adjuster goes up thru the bottom, and the set screw holds it in place.
Just did this yesterday.

Thank you, I know how they mount just don't know where the screw went. Tried to cheat and use the one off of the old rear view mirror I took off but not even in close in size, guess I will be taking the mount back out and going to the hardware store to see what I can get to work there so I can get this door panel back in

Reactions: 2 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Went out and looked at my radiator setup to see what could be improved. Couldn't find much, but did replace my rear shelf speakers. It turns out that the Wal-Mart Scoshe 5x7/6x8 speakers actually fit ok without major modifications. I had to change the angle of one of the bends in the support bracket, and bend the magnet locating tabs in to compensate for the smaller magnet, but they sound good.

View attachment 147135
I consider myself Super lucky that the previous owner from Idaho did this for me with some new Pioneer Speakers, Original Radio was ripped out, but I got a set of Radio plates from Mikes Montes along with a harness for the if and when I buy a new modern radio. Still got a couple of broken speakers and covers sitting in the Malibu. I am just going to assume that the previous owner blew them then replaced them. Not to mention I have the part to fully replace the Cig Lighter too, that I will have to do when I get the Face plate. New rear speakers are in awesome shape seems like it was professionally done or someone knew what they were doing. Good luck, I hope it turns out for you.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I drove down to Baltimore MD area to get a new seat for my El Camino, it's actually out of a Monte Carlo but the right color and in much nicer shape than the one in the car. Should fit right and is the right color, and cloth instead of vinyl. Only slight issue is the ash trays on the seat backs but I really don't care about that at all. I just want some nicer condition seats that aren't vinyl. Going to install them tomorrow.

• Happy
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor