What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2020]

pontiacgp

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I picked up the serpentine belt today, it's 95.5" long so changing the ps pump bracket from a Chevy pick up to the camaro the belt is 3" shorter. With the belt installed I noticed the alternator and ps pump pulleys sit further out from the engine. It seems the bracket is wider that than the truck bracket. I removed the truck bracket and used some 3/8" washers as shims and all the pulleys are lined up now.... :popcorn:

CopperNick

CopperNick

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Posted more completely about this elsewhere, but summarily I did manage to finish the return circuit for my power steering pump to the box. The whole saga is posted under the steering section of the forums.

Reactions: MalibuDavyou5
MrSony

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Found my vacuum leak.
Last year, on the day we put it away into winter storage it started running bad. Low power, put your foot in it to go up a hill and it'd die, sometimes even stall out.
Pretty sure I knew what it was, and had all winter to think about it.
So, I confirmed my suspicions this morning after driving it 20 miles to get the new inspection sticker
View attachment 146790

Hose fitting to the charcoal canister line had pulled out of the carb body.
That sucked;)
Is there supposed to be vacuum at the bowl vent?

Reactions: MalibuDavyou5

5spdCab

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Spent the day at the JY looking for useful upgrade items. Picked up 2 pr of power mirror motors. First pair from a Buick LaSaber, the second pair from a Cadillac which also has mirror heat.
The mirror motors only cost $5.49 pr.

My next score is a very nice pair of bucket seats (driver side w/power) in an acceptable dark gray color (the rest of my interior is black), from a '97 Cutlass. Before leaving the Cutlass, I also got the lighted/mirrored sunvisors, dome light w/maplights, rearview mirror w/reading lights, and the SPDT rocker switch for the sun/moon roof (just because I like switches).
The Cutlass parts cost me a total of $160.12 tax included.
I am a happy man today!!!
20200523_171030.jpg

fleming442

fleming442

Geezer
Dec 26, 2013
Spent the day at the JY looking for useful upgrade items. Picked up 2 pr of power mirror motors. First pair from a Buick LaSaber, the second pair from a Cadillac which also has mirror heat.
The mirror motors only cost $5.49 pr.

My next score is a very nice pair of bucket seats (driver side w/power) in an acceptable dark gray color (the rest of my interior is black), from a '97 Cutlass. Before leaving the Cutlass, I also got the lighted/mirrored sunvisors, dome light w/maplights, rearview mirror w/reading lights, and the SPDT rocker switch for the sun/moon roof (just because I like switches).
The Cutlass parts cost me a total of $160.12 tax included.
I am a happy man today!!!
View attachment 146907
Curious to see this one!

MrSony

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Attempted to change my water pump. After I drained the coolant from the drain pan to a larger one, I found all this:
FLUSH YOUR BLOCKS PEOPLE. Never trust a craigslist/fb marketplace engine. This could've gotten a lot worse than it was. I flushed the block rad and heater core with the hose so that's all good now.

Besides that, I ****in ripped my water pump gasket and the pump I got, while shorter (which is what I wanted), is slightly different in body shape so my pulley hits the water pump. I need to get some washers with a 5/8 hole to space the pulley out. Nothing I havent done before, but just annoying.

So that's what I tried to do to my g body today.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
69hurstolds How did you get started with your G-body obsession/restoration? Here's mine. Show me yours. General Discussion 31
blk7gxn Did you receive any G Body parts/Items for Christmas!!!?? General Discussion 15
69hurstolds Had planned on new truck tires. I did end up getting some, but got more than I intended. General Discussion 12
Streetbu What did you do at work today? OFF TOPIC 65
S What did these come out of? General Discussion 5
Bar50 What did you do in your shop or to your car today during the pandemic? General Discussion 14
gnvair Did any of you see the 79 5 speed set up for sale? Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 16
M Did reunite with a teacher of mine OFF TOPIC 0
Bonnewagon How did it know?!? General Discussion 25
M Did get through a niece of mine OFF TOPIC 0
RecklessRegal What did you do to your shop today? General Discussion 265
565bbchevy What did this SBC power steering/ alternator combo bracket come off. General Discussion 1
techg8 Help please, one 2004r valve body Roll pin (large) needed Wanted 0
M G-Body of the Month G-Body of the Month 1
jakes87SS just picked up the july 85 car and driver G body issue General Discussion 12
M G body AC compressor cycling question Cooling / Heating / AC 9
8 How To- Mounting W body buckets in a G body Interior 5
P Need help decoding a 1981 Malibu body tag General Discussion 1
mlarcey iroc hood on g body General Discussion 16
D Will these new Ridler wheels fit a g body? Wheels / Tires / Brakes 6
S Olds 455 G Body Headers New Users 4
M New member, longtime g-body fan New Users 6
7 New Pearl Jam Video has a later model G body Cutlass at the beginning... Photos, Videos, etc. 4
kornball426 GTI brakes on G body General Discussion 3
602gbody REGAL phx g body New Users 4
Olds G's 1988 Cadillac Brougham D Body Forum Non-G Projects 3
Bonnewagon 15" x 6" or 7" Rally II's on a G-body? Wheels / Tires / Brakes 20
J F body donor car General Discussion 89
C CHEVY New life to an old square body farm truck Non-G Projects 13
gnvair FOR SALE Serpentine belt a/c hoses for 88-92 F body G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 7
69hurstolds HJ prototype Label for G-body- Guess where it goes! General Discussion 14
MrSony Body Mount Trunk Cage Nut Repair Panels? Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 6
gnvair Are the 82-02 F body rear lower controls the same as the 78-88 A/G bodies? Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 2
Rktpwrd Body Guys - Clearcoat recommendations Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 44
Texas79cutty Another g body G-Body LS Swap 0
81_El_Homewrecker B-Body Master only Wheels / Tires / Brakes 15
80malibudriver Tremec TR3650 in a g body Manual Transmission / Clutch / Shifter 11
vpmac Are these G Body seats G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 3
N Body parts comparison Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 3
MrSony Best, most complete body bushing kit? General Discussion 11
F G Body passenger side chrome mirror General Discussion 11
S Back Glass: 1978 Malibu A-Body Coupe (Non-Landau, Non-Vinyl Top) Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 2
8 G-body door window belt molding G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 0
M WTB Bolts (body hardware) Wanted 6
7 Double hump G-body cross-member G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 1
J CUTLASS LR body mount bolt rusted behind tire Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 1
R HELP Body bushing kit prothane or energy suspension? General Discussion 31
jimsmonte80 1978-1988 G-Body upper rear quarter panel interior trim seal Interior 0
blk7gxn Garage SIGNS to go with your beloved G body General Discussion 40
gnvair Factory A body 4 speed Hurst shifter on Ebay Chevrolet Monte Carlo / SS / Malibu 0