What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got most of the way through my manual brake conversion. manualbrakes.com customer service is the best!

Reactions: 5 users
Went to Harbor Freight today and picked up an 18" bending brake for a small project.
20201004_184751.jpg

Simple tool, did the job I needed. Inexpensive too. It will come in handy for other things in the future.
So here is what I made with it.
20201004_184057(1).jpg

20201004_184202.jpg

Since I completed the dash and venting portion of my heat only to AC conversion, I no longer have cup holders. This will be a long-term temporary (until I find something suitable for permanent installation) over-the-hump mount to fasten two cupholders to. The two holes at the outer corners will slip under the seat brackets and over the front seat bolts.
Pictured hanging in the garage to dry, I have one coat of rattle can primer on it. I plan on another coat tomorrow, then a semigloss finish coat in black also.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Went to Harbor Freight today and picked up an 18" bending brake for a small project.
View attachment 158758

Simple tool, did the job I needed. Inexpensive too. It will come in handy for other things in the future.
So here is what I made with it.
View attachment 158759
View attachment 158760

Since I completed the dash and venting portion of my heat only to AC conversion, I no longer have cup holders. This will be a long-term temporary (until I find something suitable for permanent installation) over-the-hump mount to fasten two cupholders to. The two holes at the outer corners will slip under the seat brackets and over the front seat bolts.
Pictured hanging in the garage to dry, I have one coat of rattle can primer on it. I plan on another coat tomorrow, then a semigloss finish coat in black also.
You could probably sell those if they actually hold a drink. Where do you put the cup?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Got the girl cleaned up while I swore it was gonna pour on me at any minute to get it ready to head to a 80/90's car show, ended up running into a buddy there who had 2 buddies come with g bodys. Didn't get very good pics of it, but wanted to get all 4 together. Shockingly enough the turbo t was the rarest of the group even though a lot really liked the grand national. There was some decent stuff that showed up, right before we left a Syclone showed up and then on the way home saw another buddy heading there that had his Truxerossa S10
20201003_144656.jpg
20201003_142757.jpg
20201003_142017.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Well, the welds look like trash, but they’ll most definitely hold. I just have to drill a couple of holes in it and weld nuts on it for a rear firewall, which will probably be 2 pieces if I can get away with it. Both NHRA and IHRA rule books are unclear on the matter.
D0A26CC7-8003-4FAF-A610-E7B08C9DC740.jpeg

A small PSA if you’re installing one of these braces, I welded the brace legs to the bottom of those outer structures and found out really quickly those were stretched in the stamping process to 20 gauge, and not 18 gauge like the rest of the metal here.

Reactions: 7 users
Well, the welds look like trash, but they’ll most definitely hold. I just have to drill a couple of holes in it and weld nuts on it for a rear firewall, which will probably be 2 pieces if I can get away with it. Both NHRA and IHRA rule books are unclear on the matter.
View attachment 158803
A small PSA if you’re installing one of these braces, I welded the brace legs to the bottom of those outer structures and found out really quickly those were stretched in the stamping process to 20 gauge, and not 18 gauge like the rest of the metal here.

Interesting idea, I am curious as to how much that adds to rigidity? Where did you get the idea?

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting idea, I am curious as to how much that adds to rigidity? Where did you get the idea?
It’s like the bolt in X braces but heavier, I’ve seen claims that this style of brace is a night and day difference, some that it doesn’t do all that much. I wanted to add some stiffness to the body to help reduce the chance of B pillar crack, like the X braces do.
I got the idea from the Tinman brace Kirban sells:
B33DFFBF-A06C-4C84-8D6C-8FE7018BB96F.jpeg

But the $200 price point drove me away. It was hard to tell where exactly the Tinman brace gets welded, but it makes more sense if it gets welded to the trunk floor instead of where I welded mine.
The material set me back $48 but I ordered 1 extra sheet by mistake. It’s 14 gauge CRS 5 inches wide and was 48 inches long.

Reactions: 7 users
It’s like the bolt in X braces but heavier, I’ve seen claims that this style of brace is a night and day difference, some that it doesn’t do all that much. I wanted to add some stiffness to the body to help reduce the chance of B pillar crack, like the X braces do.
I got the idea from the Tinman brace Kirban sells:
View attachment 158815
But the $200 price point drove me away. It was hard to tell where exactly the Tinman brace gets welded, but it makes more sense if it gets welded to the trunk floor instead of where I welded mine.
The material set me back $48 but I ordered 1 extra sheet by mistake. It’s 14 gauge CRS 5 inches wide and was 48 inches long.

I like the idea, I might try it too. Super simple and cheap to do.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor