What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been noticing a small bit of oil under the Cutlass now but couldn't really nail down the source of said oil. Thought it was the oil filter, even drain plug. Jacked it up yesterday to check trans lines and really look for the leak. Everything was leading to the crank seal which only has 300ish road miles, plus the idle time fooling with stuff. I wiped everything down real good, then earlier I backed the car out and just let it warm up.
Sure as shyt, the front seal is leaking!!!! Pretty crappy, but could be worse. Supposed to rain all weekend so no shows, guess I know what I'll be fixing 😔. Good news I already have a US made GM front seal waiting.
20201007_190334.jpg

• Sad
  • Agree
Reactions: 13 users
I am posting a video of the Malibu reflecting on the things that I have done to it over the course of the Summer. As October is starting and the nights are getting colder there isn't much more I can do to the car. Right now I am in the process of saving for the SBC stock 350 I have planned for it which I was and still am hoping I will have happen by or toward the end of October. By that point I am going to have to have a trusted mechanic put it in as many of you know I am working out in the elements and don't own a garage.

To add to my previous post awhile back, it turns out I will need more than just an Accumulator and Heater Valve, much much more is missing. I am going to need tubes and hoses ranging from filler tubes all the down to a new Compressor. . The A/C will not be working and I will only have Bi-Level as the Air Vent option at this time. Heater does work well and the Floor Vent works a hell of alot better in the Malibu than it does the 2005 Chevy Cobalt 🤟.

I would also like to extend my many thanks to the Community for the Advice, Information and any Parts acquired to help me get the Malibu to this point. You all know who you are, so I will give you many thanks for the help that was extended 😎. I certainly hope the community of the forum remains as helpful. I will over the course of the Winter do what I can to be as helpful. This has certainly been a learning experience and one that I wish to continue pursuing.

Most of the shooting of the Camera Video has Sun glare which you will see me struggling with a bit. But I believe I give you a general Idea of what was done on the surface. I didn't have time to show what I have done underneath in the video, but I have posted all that here on the forum just look back to all my posts on the Rust Clean up I have done.

Next year I plan to repaint some areas of the outside, get to the Suspension, Drive Train (IE: Drive line, Differential etc.) and Interior. Before that after the new Engine is in place I do have to replace the Windshield and get a modern radio put into it.

Reactions: 7 users
Got the trunk completely resealed with epoxy seam sealer last night
E636F403-DE43-497B-BAC2-505CF7159F17.jpeg

While I was at it, I found a couple of rust specks poking through on the a pillars where the doors mount (I have no idea what that area is actually called) seemingly from underneath the primer. I’m guessing I didn’t have the surface all that clean when I sprayed it, but does anyone have an idea why that would happen?

Reactions: 12 users
Went and visited the guy that I originally bought my Bonneville from, an bought an idle up solenoid for a quadrajet from him.

IMG_20201008_155822.jpg

This guy drag races Pontiacs as a hobby, and has a parts hoard that makes me drool every time I think about it. He was even nice enough to include those wierd T20 tapered bolts to mount it with. Wired it in and it works great. No more stalling with the A/C on.

Reactions: 17 users
Got the front seal changed out on the LS. Took longer than planned due to running back and forth to Autozone renting and returning tools, had to pull my E fans to make room for impact gun to remove balancer bolt, etc.
The leaky seal on the left is def a China unit, has no ID markings on it. The new seal is a USA piece so hope it does the trick. I'll try to test run the car tomorrow to verify.
20201008_183715.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: 16 users
Finally getting around to fixing transmission pan leaking/seeping issue. I've had no luck with the OEM (Farpak), Aftermarket (Cork/Rubber), and most recently even the Moroso 93104; hoping this LubeLocker does the trick. From what I'm told (by hard core racers) LubeLocker is the real deal end all, we shall see...it's on there now and will do some extensive driving tomorrow, then re-check it for leaks...

64103.jpeg

IMG_20181124_103041621.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 11 users
Spliced in a connector for the power mirror wiring under the dash. Got a wild hair to start pulling my column last night and forgot that I ran this harness under the dash without any breaks.
FAC9FFED-E6D3-4E25-AA14-1652E044E113.jpeg

Now I can disconnect it and move the halves if I ever need to pull the column down again. Here’s hoping I don’t.

Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor