What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Got what little underneath stuff I needed to do done. Changed the trans pan gasket and filter, hooked the exhaust back up, hooked shift linkage back up. sat the car down, reinstalled the fuel pump and fuel line. All that's left now is to reconnect the p/s pump, install belts, fan, sparkplugs and wires, fill with fluids, prime oil and let er rip.
oh, it was also snowing and cold all day. love that creeper i bought.
71350-20.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Wooooo! Hooooooooooo! I was sitting thinking with something bothering me with the car leaking oil. So today (When it finally got warmer), after looking at certain sources of information. I got my step father to assist me, we started the car up again when looking at what I suspected was a bad oil leak from the Valve Covers and sure enough as my assistant was petal to the metal ( Warming the Engine ) the oil was spewing a bit out of the Valve Covers of both sides and no were else. What a sigh of relief! I was thinking originally that the Head Gasket had blown. I do still have the Gasket set I bought that have yet to arrive so I'll just use Valve cover gaskets from that set to get that oil leak sealed up. In mean time starting tomorrow I will have to get the Brakes filled with Fluid and Bled. I'll also get a video up for when the car is running, thus far it is idling just fine. A lot of things still need to be done.

20200323_165815[1].jpg

Reactions: 4 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
I picked up a buddy of mine from work about an hour ago (it's currently 2a in NJ). On our way to the block I pulled up next to a mid 90s S10 at the light. We teased each other coming off the green and we went for it on a wide 4 lane desolate main ave. We came to a red light about 2 lights after (across the st from a police station lol). We have each other the power fist and as I made the left, I smelled coolant and noticed a small amount of smoke coming from under the hood. 😬🤦🏻‍♂️
At the next red light my Hooligan was idling rough. I pulled over about 7 blocks later, stepped out.. was a light scent of coolant but no leaks underneath, didn't notice anything wet leaking or squirting from under the hood or on the ground. We made it to the block, parked, popped the hood again. Checked underneath. No sign of anything. So idk lol my 1st time WOT vs someone and my nips got hard lmao have work tomorrow afternoon, will give myself time to give her a once over before I hit the road. Wish me luck
Think that your once over ought to include pulling the plugs and the dipstick to see if you have coolant in the cylinders or the oil pan. Thinking you may have popped a head gasket and it went internal instead of external.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

starring my brother

Reactions: 7 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I picked up a buddy of mine from work about an hour ago (it's currently 2a in NJ). On our way to the block I pulled up next to a mid 90s S10 at the light. We teased each other coming off the green and we went for it on a wide 4 lane desolate main ave. We came to a red light about 2 lights after (across the st from a police station lol). We have each other the power fist and as I made the left, I smelled coolant and noticed a small amount of smoke coming from under the hood. 😬🤦🏻‍♂️
At the next red light my Hooligan was idling rough. I pulled over about 7 blocks later, stepped out.. was a light scent of coolant but no leaks underneath, didn't notice anything wet leaking or squirting from under the hood or on the ground. We made it to the block, parked, popped the hood again. Checked underneath. No sign of anything. So idk lol my 1st time WOT vs someone and my nips got hard lmao have work tomorrow afternoon, will give myself time to give her a once over before I hit the road. Wish me luck

I would test the rad cap....

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
I couldn't do as much as I wanted to. Today I went and picked up a bunch of items from O'reillys Auto Parts. I got a Trolley Jack, 5 Qts cheap oil, Wix Oil Filter, Prestone Brake Fluid Dot 3, Cross Wrench, RTV Sealer, and two Head Light Assemblies; one of which I just now replaced. I tried to jack up the vehicle with the Trolley Jack and put the car onto cinder blocks but to no avail. The Ground is too soft and any jacks that I have tried to use sinks in. Thus as mentioned earlier I replaced the Left HeadLamp, Vacuumed out the Trunk. And got her started to to see if I have gears, which I found out I do but there is no line pointing to which gear I shifted to on the dash for some reason which has me feel through which one I am in. Definitely a lack of power as the gears are shifted into, you have to wait for the idle momentum to build as per the gear your in before it starts slowly moving. Power Steering Works great! I was very surprised that the wheels turned with no problems. It's getting somewhere. . Slowly. But the wind is picking back up with gusts from time to time as we are expecting rain with a little snow early in the morning. I was wanting to at least get the brakes bled but with the current wheels it's got on I can't get to the bleeder screws. I was also wanting to get to taking off the "Rocker Arms Covers" as the Chilton repair manual labels it, and start the clean up/prep for the new Gaskets I am awaiting to arrive, but with said weather it's making things difficult to try to get ahead of the game. . . I did what I could today.

Reactions: 3 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I couldn't do as much as I wanted to. Today I went and picked up a bunch of items from O'reillys Auto Parts. I got a Trolley Jack, 5 Qts cheap oil, Wix Oil Filter, Prestone Brake Fluid Dot 3, Cross Wrench, RTV Sealer, and two Head Light Assemblies; one of which I just now replaced. I tried to jack up the vehicle with the Trolley Jack and put the car onto cinder blocks but to no avail. The Ground is too soft and any jacks that I have tried to use sinks in. Thus as mentioned earlier I replaced the Left HeadLamp, Vacuumed out the Trunk. And got her started to to see if I have gears, which I found out I do but there is no line pointing to which gear I shifted to on the dash for some reason which has me feel through which one I am in. Definitely a lack of power as the gears are shifted into, you have to wait for the idle momentum to build as per the gear your in before it starts slowly moving. Power Steering Works great! I was very surprised that the wheels turned with no problems. It's getting somewhere. . Slowly. But the wind is picking back up with gusts from time to time as we are expecting rain with a little snow early in the morning. I was wanting to at least get the brakes bled but with the current wheels it's got on I can't get to the bleeder screws. I was also wanting to get to taking off the "Rocker Arms Covers" as the Chilton repair manual labels it, and start the clean up/prep for the new Gaskets I am awaiting to arrive, but with said weather it's making things difficult to try to get ahead of the game. . . I did what I could today.
If you did as much as you could do, be proud of yourself and happy for getting as much done as you did. A tip for soft ground, throw down a piece of plywood, or better yet a thick flat piece of metal if you have some around. That will spread the footprint of the jack and reduce the sinking. I do that whenever I can when I disconnect from my semi trailer if the ground seems too soft to support it.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor