What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Fiddled around with the wiring all weekend, discovered I’ve either got back feeding on some part of the GP headlight harness with one of my modifications, or there’s a wire cut somewhere on the dash harness. Both driver’s side headlights light up with the passenger side high beam staying on. Switch does nothing. Going to modify the MCSS harness for the Celebrity headlights and test it, since both circuits worked properly with a power probe.

On the upside the column runs my wiper motor, although it helps if there’s a fuse in the circuit first, I resigned myself to needing a new column on Saturday after I was getting no power through the hole system :wax:
Side note, how can you tell if a wiper motor’s delay circuit is bad? I hear a loud clicking when I turn the switch to delay, but the motor never turns until I switch to low or high. I also need to let the motor complete one revolution on low before I can switch it to high, otherwise it just goes dead.

Reactions: 2 users

MG78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
Thanks, alot of time trying to get it to this level. Yes, Scat Elite seats. Overall the brackets are nice, but seem to be tweaked some due to mounting holes on floor. Just took some persuasion and they were good. The only bummer was I had to swap the sides, the driver side is on passenger side and vice versa. The recliner handle mechanism interferes with the seatbelt anchor by the door. No biggie though, they look and fit right and I like em.
Thanks for the quick response and helpful information. Mike

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
As I wait to see if I get called in to work I went out to the garage to mess with my steering columns. Next is to get the old ignition lock out of the new one & get it replaced with one coded to the original key.

Reactions: 7 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Turned the heat back on the garage today.

unnamed (2).jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Turned out today is a national holiday here so I took the day off!!

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
An-nd back into the shop. Still no anchor pins but have enough to the passenger side. Had already set the e-brake cable into its pocket so todays was about hanging the shoes. Come to find out that the spring that wraps the e-brake cable between the lever end and the backing plate pocket was too long and kept pushing the back shoe off the plate. So, very, very, carefully, I used my trusty Dremel to, one by one, clip coils from the spring to shorten it by about an inch. The remaining amount still covers and protects the cable ,length inside the brake drum but it looks like i get a little more adjustment available to me out at the 2 into 1 plate.

That sorted out, the rest of the assembly went fairly smoothly until....(insert ominous music here) I found out that the retaining plate that sits on the upper pivot stud, looks like a heavy washer with ears, and both holds the shoes down and acts as a locating washer for the springs had gone MIA. No sign of it anywhere on the floor. Had not apparently made it to the layout cloth where all the new parts were sitting according to how they went into place. Not on the paint stand. Not in my wrench drawer, where I tend to stash things that I do not want to wander off. NO Joy.

Plan A was new aftermarket; Not. Plan B would have been new from the dealer but around here you can't get parts for a five year old car, never mind a 35+ year old car, so scratch that. Did phone my yard and John thought that he might have a few kicking around somewhere; have to phone him again tomorrow So on to Plan C; that being hit the rear end rack and harvest one from one of the 10 bolts that I had hung onto. Get to the rack, an exercise in itself, and pull one drum, and no joy, its guts were long gone, probably from before I scored it from the salvage yard. On to the next unit and eureka, still intact and one there for the snatching. it is on the paint stand and freshly black for tomorrow. Anything that I score from the yard will be used as a replacement for the one I robbed to put that assembly back together.

Which still leaves me with the conundrum of WTF happened to the original one? Part of me thinks it just turned sideways,slipped through a crack in time, and will re=-appear some time in the future. Another aspect wonders if it was ever in there to begin with. Pretty sure it should have been but not being there would explain the bent anchor pin as no plate would let the shoe try to kick out and away from the backing plate during braking. If so, then when and where it go awol? Had to have been at least a decade ago and could easily coincide with the introduction of the mismatched brake drums if someone had tried to do a shade tree brake job and had parts disappear in the grass or the gravel. Those drums, by the by, are both GM 10 bolt but one looks like those on the Cutlass 10 bolt while the other resembles the Monte unit. Might both have been aftermarket and just from different manufacturers; Made in America back then did not necessarily equate to being made identically.

So tomorrow has become a parts run day. AT Least I can now get into the stores and the yard to deal directly for stuff. ##&^&*^%$& n^%@#$#*&^ lockdown sucked/sucks.

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So the trip to the yard was a success, sort of. Did find two of those plates, I'm now going to call them "propellors" because that is their physical shape, but it was also a learning session because I discovered that there are Three Sizes of those washers/plates/propellors/WTF?? Call them small, medium, and large. What I needed was the small ones and found one that was in good shape after being sanded clean and a second that showed more wear. it did clean up but looks to be thinner than I'd like.

Plan D is now to return the harvested plate back to my other 10 bolt, take the best of the two victims and plug it in to the assembly and move on.

On that note, does anyone here on the boards know what the proper name for that "propellor" is? Description is mostly by location; it is the washer/plate/? that sits on the upper pivot pin that is located just above the slave cylinder. When you bed the shoes onto that pin, you then slip that plate on and the return springs ride against it. I just finished surfing several thousand listings for Monte Carlo 10 bolt rear brake assemblies and didn't find a single entry. if it were spring I could possibly slide into the yard and do some scavenging but now is not the time to try and fight with snowbanks to dive under wrecks just on spec. Appreciate any feedback on the proper name for it and if you happen to know a vendor that carries them, a name and address would be outstanding.

Nick

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Appreciate any feedback on the proper name for it
gm calls it a "shoe guide". the googles show multiple items, but unsure on how vehicle specific they are. hopefully someone can add detail.

while i'm at it.
slave cylinder
wheel cylinder. while a slave cylinder acts the same way, slave cylinder indicates a hydraulic clutch component. wheel cylinder indicates a brake component.

Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Shoe Guide? Huh. Never would have thought of that name for it in a bazillion years.

As for wheel cylinder, that is what the vendors in the responses to my parts searches call it as well. However, despite being the not most reliable of sources, Wikipedia does offer this for viewer consideration:

"In automotive engineering, the master cylinder is a control device that converts force (commonly from a driver's foot) into hydraulic pressure. This device controls slave cylinders located at the other end of the hydraulic brake system."

Their words, not mine, and as for their veracity well, yeah, I know, open to debate.

Semantics and definitions aside, Thank You for the prompt reply and the needed information. Guess it is time to back on the hunt again.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor