What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Ann--nnd, I'm Back. For anyone who happens to be in the same situation as I, the Dorman part number for that Shoe Guide Joe mentioned is 13896. Lots of pictures, all of which look alike but no application chart or listing. Dorman doesn't get into much detail about it and depending on which vendor you visit, some of the sites that offer it describe it as being universal from 1955 to 1997. Someone even commented that it would fit a Mustang??? Amazon, (Big Surprise!!) does provide a group of measurements for its size, metric, so tomorrow early I plan to introduce one of the old oens to my calipers and see what comes up.

Being what it is and what it is for, it is unlikely that anyone in this burg is going to have it in stock. Summit offers it but they never did get that power steering return line kit that I ordered and finally cancelled the order after 6 months saying the part was unavailable (=made in China).so they are not my first choice for an on line vendor. O'Reillys says they have it but they don's ship international, and the litany goes on. (Desperately trying to avoid asking for cheese with this whine but it seems that while demand has not changed, apparent availability of stuff has and not for the good.)

Have to stop by my Napa dealer tomorrow so will ask one of the senior reps if the part number is good for them, otherwise TBAP carries the line and I can ask them if it is available.

Thanks for the support, all.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyVillain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2021
Had the oil pressure sending unit on my 4.3L give up and start leaking oil everywhere. Oil gauge in my Elky worked fine and I went and got a new sending unit, oil reading was all over the damn place. Exchanged it for anther one and it's still all over the place, just slightly less so. Actual oil pressure seems to be normal. I seem to just be finding problems lately and not a whole lot of solutions. Thankfully the problems are pretty minor for now. Also recently got some really nice LED headlights after asking around about HID's. These LEDs have good beam pattern and cut off, look great too. Waiting on some sequential LED tail light conversion kits from Digi-tails and a new set of tail light housings, can't wait to get those in.

Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Had the oil pressure sending unit on my 4.3L give up and start leaking oil everywhere. Oil gauge in my Elky worked fine and I went and got a new sending unit, oil reading was all over the damn place. Exchanged it for anther one and it's still all over the place, just slightly less so. Actual oil pressure seems to be normal. I seem to just be finding problems lately and not a whole lot of solutions. Thankfully the problems are pretty minor for now. Also recently got some really nice LED headlights after asking around about HID's. These LEDs have good beam pattern and cut off, look great too. Waiting on some sequential LED tail light conversion kits from Digi-tails and a new set of tail light housings, can't wait to get those in.
Looking forward to some pics, I really wish my Digitails were sequential

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So I did go ahead and followup on that part number and learned that Napa doesn't carry Dorman, they had to cross it to their part number, it is a good number, but there is no stock in Canada and a three minimum order delay for delivery from the US. THREE WEEKS!!!. Since I was on my morning circuit, making stops according to my "need it' list, I just continued on. TBAP was the next parts stop. They carry Dorman but had to call for availability and price. To be continued tomorrow. Did take the opportunity and revisited the dump bins to see what could be found and, Score!, came up with another shoe guide in the best of the bunch condition, and a shoe strut, that spring loaded piece of flat plate that runs underneath the "wheel" cylinder from shoe frame to shoe frame. They both cleaned up nicely with a little Dremel 60 gr sanding disc love and now have a new coat of enamel each. Did not find those two actuator arms that attach to the trailing shoe and which get pulled on by the e-brake cable; may have to phone around on them and the one or two yards that actually still have them are buried until spring thaw. Bother

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Installed a chime box from a 90s Camaro for a more pleasant chime when the keys are in. Photos show part number and how it looks. Plus a shot of how it looks behind the dash in case anyone else is looking to do this too. Plug and play.
0D830A86-E85F-4D85-9E10-3EEA7F1006DC.jpeg

C957E3E0-E026-4713-95E9-C43D323E80E9.jpeg

D01E119D-C7CF-4C0B-825F-C986C8767EFF.jpeg

Notice the tab on the box and the catch on the area where it mounts, this is what holds it in. The mounting spot is directly up from the courtesy light. Reach in, pull out the old droning box and replace with this.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Done! Added those pieces that I had found and cleaned up and then buttoned up the passenger side brakes. Threw the wheels back on just for the sake of getting some space back. The shoes are not adjusted for drag and probably won't be until I get the brake system bled. it is literally dry, since most of the hard lines were replaced by custom bent S/S pieces. Tired of having the plain steel ones start pi**ing oil at the worst possible times. Last item on this list is to assemble the e-brake cables to their yoke and from there to the cable attachment clip. May slither under the car tomorrow and take a run at that.

Nick

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
LS swapped my Malibu 😁

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
I dropped off all the parts I have accumulated for the SBC 350 swap over on Monday. I still have yet to hear from the Mechanic on his testing of the Engine, could be busy he does after all have Gov contracts to fulfill. I now have the funds to pay for his work, so hopefully we'll hear something soon.

Reactions: 3 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
shoveled around it this morning. It's still in purgatory for not starting for me on New Years Day due to dead battery. Wife said she doesn't like tripping over the "new" battery in the hallway. It's only been there for a couple weeks or so now. Maybe in the next week or so Ill drop the new battery in and fire the pig up.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor