What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Gave some thought to Jim Rockford's use of a set of S-10 rims on his more door and decided that a test fit on my Monte might be order. Paid a visit to the wheel racks and retrieved an S-10 alloy wheel c/w tire and tried to mount it onto the rear brake drum/axle. Close, but no cigar. Thought about it some more and decided to try again but with the front hub instead. Still no joy but learned that the it was the shoulder on the rotor that indexes the rim precisely that was the culprit. The matching diameters were close enough but between a minor case of aluminum crud and rotor hub surface rust what I had was an interference fit. "Oh Dremel Tool, where art thou?" A bit of careful attention to both the faces using a couple of micro flap wheels and the result was a nice tight hand-shake fit; 0-0 or about as close as makes no never mind. 1/2 inch drive impact socket on a hand crank and the wheel sat down securely. Can't get at the passenger side right now but think that the game plan for it may be to apply the flap wheel to the rotor hub first and remove all the surface rust that has built up. Get that shoulder to bare metal and then try a first test fit. That might be all that is needed and therefore there being no need for any dremel love having to be applied to the rim itself. Not sure about that as I had to dremel the flange and shoulder on the rear axle on both sides to get the new brake drums to slide on and bottom. The old drums had just that little bit more of an ID and would come and go fairly easily. The new ones do now but like I said, it took some attention to the flanges to get there.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
Tried my set of drag wheel tire set-up on my white car

Attachments

• 896CDD35-1CC5-45EB-8F78-4E6B52B32CE0.jpeg
    896CDD35-1CC5-45EB-8F78-4E6B52B32CE0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
Reactions: 7 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
  • Haha
  • Happy
Reactions: 5 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
Started it for the first time in nearly 5 years, pulled it out of the garage, let it warm up, backed it back in, put it on jack stands. Then figured out what wheel and tire sizing I could run with the suspension setup how it is, ordered new timing cover kit to fix the oil leak that frustrated me so much that I parked it 5 years ago. Currently browsing wheel and tire pricings, as well as lug nuts.

Reactions: 5 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
nuthin

on the other hand

my most viewed video on my channel has over 10k views
in 2005 that'd really mean something

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
nuthin

on the other hand

my most viewed video on my channel has over 10k views
in 2005 that'd really mean something
I posted that vid in the Oldscool thread. You're welcome.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor