What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Went to a show today. There were some nice rides there, but I still managed to win an award. One of the guys said it was one of the most complete, clean and well thought out cars he'd seen around. They only had maybe 10 trophies and 50ish cars.
20210417_142015.jpg

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Went to 3 shows over the weekend, aside from almost head butting my buddy it was a really good time. Finished off wire looming the rad fan wires and tried to tuck away the stereo a little better until the Metra kit comes tomorrow. The stereo did not really stay so I can't wait for the Metra kit to come and figure out how to get it to work in there so its secure. Then gave her a good bath
20210417_134815.jpg
20210417_123347.jpg
20210417_122809.jpg
20210417_122021.jpg
20210417_110920.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I have the day off so my shred truck can get some much needed attention, sooooo I brought the Cutlass down the road to get an alignment.
20210419_095548.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Did a bunch of measuring which led to internal debating which led to reaching out & texting buddies to share ideas/thoughts for some feed-back on direction.

In the 11th hour I decided the OE stuff is coming out & I'll test fit the Heat-Only box for clearance. If it doesn't work (or I don't care for the look), I'll be making a template to fabricate my own closeout panel that will accommodate aftermarket A/C & clear the taller tubs.

Attachments

• 20210418_192223.jpg
    20210418_192223.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210418_192250.jpg
    20210418_192250.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: 2 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
^^^ I can relate

Been debating for the past month to go heater only or full on hvac delete... If I need a heater I won't drive it anyways. Its not a show car but I only drive it when it's nice out anyways.

Got a delete plate for cheap and already plan to gut interior this fall, so that would be the time to do it... Still undecided.. all the buddies I asked said "racecar"

Reactions: 1 users

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Did a bunch of measuring which led to internal debating which led to reaching out & texting buddies to share ideas/thoughts for some feed-back on direction.

In the 11th hour I decided the OE stuff is coming out & I'll test fit the Heat-Only box for clearance. If it doesn't work (or I don't care for the look), I'll be making a template to fabricate my own closeout panel that will accommodate aftermarket A/C & clear the taller tubs.
If you have a build thread I'd like to follow. I'm interested in how you'll be making your own heater box as I contemplated doing the same but had no idea how, or where to start. I just made a block off plate for the time being.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
^^^ I can relate

Been debating for the past month to go heater only or full on hvac delete... If I need a heater I won't drive it anyways. Its not a show car but I only drive it when it's nice out anyways.

Got a delete plate for cheap and already plan to gut interior this fall, so that would be the time to do it... Still undecided.. all the buddies I asked said "racecar"

If you have a build thread I'd like to follow. I'm interested in how you'll be making your own heater box as I contemplated doing the same but had no idea how, or where to start. I just made a block off plate for the time being.

First, sorry for the novel. The issue is where is the investment best spent? The investment being money & effort.

It's possible the OE box can be modified to clear the taller tub. What I can’t answer is what impact on airflow the necessary mod will make. It would require removing a section of the factory case up to the point of the fans squirrel cage. The factory case has the 'discharge' chute for the air starting right where I would need to be removing material. It would be sacrificing the case to see what impact there is on air flow (my initial estimate is it would reduce the area where that chute starts forming by ~50%). The factory set-up has/had fairly limited air flow @ the vents as-is. Additional disruption to any air flow within the case (& before the evap core) would only seem to make that already poor situation @ the vents worse.

The factory A/C didn't work. There was an issue w/the flaps controlling air flow. I thought it was strictly vacuum control related but I corrected that issue (new vacuum switch for the panel; new under-hood vacuum lines; verified vacuum to routing switch). After those corrections, the air flow output would go where the controller was directing but you could also still feel air flow @ your feet (cold air during the winter rendering the heat useless & hot air in during the summer). This suggested something was not sealing off within the case correctly. I was going to have to tear into it @ some point if I wanted to keep the factory A/C. After pulling the top of the case off, the evap doesn't look bad/clogged w/dirt. The ducting doors/flaps seem to move ok & the seals don't seem bad but I haven't pulled it completely out yet to inspect from multiple angles. So far, it all looks like one would expect for a 50k mile car.

For now, the factory stuff will be removed intact.
I'll test the heat only box I purchased for clearance @ the tub & visual appeal. If it looks like an afterthought, I won't use it. If it looks like it could have been a factory deal, I'll use it. I'm not a fan of the available g-body firewall A/C delete stuff ('flat plate' style covers or fabricated covers that are made from welded material shaped via a brake press). Whatever direction I opt for, it would only be for necessary clearance to house an aftermarket A/C set-up. If I end up making my own, I know a guy that can form & shape metal using high end tools & I know another that's well versed/skilled w/fiberglass. But neither of those guys are cheap. I'd still have to fab the basic form/shape so I'm not sure I want to spend the time & fistful of dollars on this in addition to the already high price of an aftermarket A/C set-up.

This isn’t supposed to be a project so there isn’t a build thread as it would sit idle more than updated. I’m currently trying to finish up my 64 C10 Patina-Rod which has a build thread on a C10 forum & I’m also refreshing the driveline on a ’30 Model A Cabriolet w/help from buddies that are ‘Model A. guys’. My time & cash must be spent/stretched as wisely as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Went home and kicked back for a bit after the alignment to enjoy the random Monday off work. Too nice not to get the Cutlass back out, so I picked the kids up from school. Best thing in the world is my 6 year old....."dad can you do another blast off, we love it!" Absolutely kiddo!
I get more joy out of hearing my girls giggling in the backseat than anything else! The thumbs up and compliments are cool, but the memories will last forever!
20210419_151732.jpg

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 15 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Went home and kicked back for a bit after the alignment to enjoy the random Monday off work. Too nice not to get the Cutlass back out, so I picked the kids up from school. Best thing in the world is my 6 year old....."dad can you do another blast off, we love it!" Absolutely kiddo!
I get more joy out of hearing my girls giggling in the backseat than anything else! The thumbs up and compliments are cool, but the memories will last forever! View attachment 173485
And you're making car enthusiasts!

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Took Olds Cool on her maiden voyage of the year after all the crap I did to it over the winter.
Proof of life:

53ED6A31-ACD3-49AD-AF1E-0DF58B75180A.jpeg

Definite check mark in the win column on this one. No strange noises, gauges all stayed happy, car felt smooth and strong. No leaks and really nothing to complain about.

6BF4BE1A-A993-4F3B-9C94-74168F9A47F6.jpeg

I took it pretty easy on the stoplight launches and aggressive manoeuvres, I want the new posi center section to break in fully first, but I may have quickly tested to see whether or not it worked. No pictures, but the back seat now smells oddly of burnt rubber...
😈

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor