What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
Now that I’m done with most of the drivetrain stuff, I can start focusing on the exterior refresh. I was never crazy about the grilles on the 85 442 (all the other Cutlasses in the gbody H/O 442 Had some type of blackout on the grille). I painted the egg rate sections satin black. Not bad, looks a little more aggressive. The Unlimited Hood is temporary, poor quality and I hate the ridge down the center. Looking at other, cleaner options.

5F527DAA-C088-49D2-BF96-115B86F24555.jpeg

I also had to make a temporary home for the Sniper screen, so I used my old two pod console mounted. I’ll probably make a mold base on that shape.

499C1A35-5D8D-4EEE-BE42-EEA2C706E410.jpeg

I hate non-stock appearing logos so I will trim out the Sniper logo on the bottom of the screen. Also will either fill the B&M logo with epoxy and refinish or get a new handle.

Reactions: 7 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Got the idea in my head that I just might be able to use the G body parking brake cables with Mustang disk brakes on Saturday and found that the sheaths for the cables are around 3 inches too short no matter how they’re routed.
So following some advice from the Factory Five forums, I decided to cut the SN95 sheaths down, and use the G body cables in them.
I’ll do a write up when I’m done, but this was surprisingly easy to do with just a grinder and a crescent wrench.
Here’s the difference in lengths, the G body passenger side cable is the shorter one.
View attachment 166730

Twist off....
View attachment 166731

Cut, twist on, and with a parking brake cable repair kit for options, assembled for dry fitting.
View attachment 166732
Check your local Fleetpride store. They can custom make brake cables..

Reactions: 1 user

ken87cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2014
Evansville, IN
Got the heater out into the garage and put in the new coil overs and shock brace for the rear end.

Attachments

• whole shot.jpg
    whole shot.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Installed a positive post near my battery. Also installed two under hood lights and wired them all up.
F552B619-BE4E-40A5-9628-5FD9D71D9BD1.jpeg

8EDAC087-E9FC-4657-9DD4-24C16E48FF54.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Inadvertently knocked some of the dust off the cover as I brushed past it to find a place to hang my old green heavy work coat. Four layers of clothes just to walk from the house to the shop!

Mac442, seem to remember that Hurst made a generic t-type shifter that came logo-less. I had one screwed to the stalk of my Muncie decades ago and people always used to assume that I had the full Hurst enchilada sitting under it.(MGAACoCs)

Nick

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Got the gauge clusters wired in minus the tachometer lead. I’m thinking I can repurpose the brake warning light lead so I don’t have to add a pin to the bulkhead connector since I’m not using a stock prop valve. But I might use the oil pressure wire or something else, haven’t decided yet.

On the other hand, I could get used to this view...
2FC80E8A-3B77-40C4-9265-02288603E5D3.jpeg

Tempted to go grab the dash bezel, but I’m calling it a night here.

Reactions: 12 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So, if you like the view, which is cool, why not give some thought to simply capping the whole thing with a clear plastic cover? Mostly flat, a little curve, and everything behind it is still visible as it is now, only protected from crap invading the area from outside.

Nick

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Got the gauge clusters wired in minus the tachometer lead.
Tempted to go grab the dash bezel, but I’m calling it a night here.
My selective OCD could never live with those two odd-man-out orange needles, but it looks good otherwise

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor