What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Pulled a passenger side air bag out of a Mustang today to mount an ECM in its place. The air bag came out completely in tact.

Question, what does it take to set this thing off and what kind of fun, or havoc, can I have with this?

Reactions: 1 user

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
So I dug my way into the shop and did a test fit on the 2010 injector plugs and they fit perfectly. That was the good news. The bad news was the next couple of hours I spent trying to dissect the injector harness out of the donor main loom. I got it as far as the one socket for what I think is the under hood fuse block but it looks like a bunch of them head directly to one of the couplers for what I think is the computer. Haven't tried to match them to what is attached to the LQ harness but off the top of my head my memory says "Different"

Did take a peek at one of the plugs directly to see if it could be unpinned but could find no immediate way to release the inner socket to access the wires. Stopped at that point. Just getting past all the coverings and insulation was a monumental PITA. May do some more digging tomorrow but trying to be way cautious here as it may come to a situation where I have to go with solder and heat shrink and do some grafting.

Took a quick peek at the video. Nice pipe note at the rear. As you say, that whistle is not subtle. (LOL) I can easily see it irritating little old ladies and small children with over protective parents (SLOL) It might be muted a little by the hood once closed. but those open inner fender wells could let a lot of the giggles get free.

Nick
Just solder them on your harness. I'm doing it as we speak. I hopped on here to let my neck unwind but no need to pull the entire circuit out and the pins are different from multec to ev6.
20220417_173113.jpg

Are you trying to find the top oring? If so the ls2,ls3 and a bunch of gen 4 trucks use .533 orings. The truck are a different color but same size... If your looking for the bottom, only ls2,ls3 style injectors use .587. Look at this chart again and you can see what uses what oring. And hunt your yards accordingly.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Tell whoever rides in the passenger seat that it be wise they wear their seat belt AND I'm sure you'll find out what it takes to set off that air bag.
I think there was an episode of Mythbusters (I think) that set a bunch of airbags off.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
An...nd Done. Went back into the shop at 1 PM today and 4.5 hrs later had the complete injector harness dissected and totally separated from the balance of the donor harness (Possibly pictures to follow) Along the way I did manage to learn what type of tool was required to release the pins and sockets and actually had the correct one in the electronics tool box.

The saddest part of all this is that when the yard mook pulled the donor harness he elected to snip several of the orange back bone wires that turn out to feed the plug to the fuse box connector.

Yo, RabbitHoleSS, I feel ya on that neck thing. An hour or so of being scrunched up while leaning over and my neck feels like someone smacked it with an iron bar. Fortunately I have a bottle of Aspercreme with Lidocaine on hand that seems to relax those neck muscles. (And knees, and elbows, and wrists, and..................)

As for the plugs, now that I know how to get the pins and sockets to release from the housings, I may be able to just swap the housings by themselves and leave the wiring otherwise as is. I will say that the tools/picks for doing the pins are Metri-pack specific and not something that you can fabricate out of a large paper clip (although I would bet that has been tried) Mine came from the Grote Wiring products catalogue and were part numbers made for the application.

Nick

Last edited:

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Pulled a passenger side air bag out of a Mustang today to mount an ECM in its place. The air bag came out completely in tact.

Question, what does it take to set this thing off and what kind of fun, or havoc, can I have with this?
All you need is 12v of power, it's only 2 wires and if I remember correctly it doesn't matter what color wire gets power or ground. Buddy of mine and I have thrown a handful of things over his house with airbags. 😆

Reactions: 1 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
The terminals are different unfortunately. The grey plugs ev6 use metripack 150. The black plugs use tangless metripack 150 and . Multec use micropack 064 terminals.
You could crimp these on the wires of your truck harness though.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
All you need is 12v of power, it's only 2 wires and if I remember correctly it doesn't matter what color wire gets power or ground. Buddy of mine and I have thrown a handful of things over his house with airbags. 😆
Perhaps a video is required. I’ll ask the owner what he wants to do with it.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Washed her up on Friday night, did it very quickly cause it felt like it was going to pour any second
20220415_191029.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So

DSCN3043.JPG

Just a close up of the leftovers after an engine management harness becomes a donor and gives up its injector sub harness assembly.

DSCN3042.JPG

And an overall look at the spaghetti factory. I did chose to bundle and tape some of it just to make handling the groups a little easier. At this point I had almost Six Hours into identifying, tracing, and unpinning the various leads that I needed.

DSCN3046.JPG

DSCN3045.JPG

These two shots are of the abstracted injector harness post harvest. Each of the banks or sides has had the individual injector wires matched and taped together and then coiled up and re-taped as a complete bank of 4. The third coil is the remaining wires that were pinned to the plugs for the computer plus a couple of orphans that suffered the indignity of being snipped off when when the harness was removed from the donor vehicle. At this point I have no idea where they went or what they did. And it may not matter.

DSCN3049.JPG

And the reason for all the Hubbub, Ado, and Sturm und Drang. This is what the EV6 injector plug looks like. Prior to going through the aforementioned exercise of excising this harness, I did test fit this plug or one of its brethren to an injector from the LS6 manifold and they came together like they were married!

What's next?? well, that depends. Each injector plug comes with two wires. One wire goes to the red plug shown in a picture above and that plug gets attached to the fuse block located under that large black plastic cover that all sits on the driver's inner fender well. The other wire goes to one or the other of the plugs that mate to the computer. It would be a Hell of a lot of work but it looks like the existing injector plug wires could be, one at a time, edited out of the plugs to which they are attached and the new/replacement ones pinned into place in their stead. As I commented at the beginning of the last sentence; a f*** of a lot of work.

As to "Why would you bother" well if I got it right, no one would be the wiser. Total camouflage of the changes that were made.

However, thanks large to various interested observers hereabouts, I have been given several other options that entail dealing with Amazon. Absolutely fantastic options, absolutely hate the vendor.

Beyond using adapters, there is the option of harvesting just the ends plus some of the attached wires for pigtails, clipping away the old plugs, and doing a graft of the others in place of the old ones. Solder and heat shrink I have in abundance. it could even be done as a crimp connection and covered with loom or heat shrink tube to hide the work. I am not a big fan of mechanical connections when it comes to wiring but the entire harness is all crimps at the terminal ends so...........who am I to argue with the factory?

So I took today off to let my fingers heal from all the poking and prodding needed to persuade the wires to come free and come along peacefully.

Just a thought on using an air bag as a payload booster or rocket launcher, Kool, but use enough wire when you make the connections to the terminals on the bag to get you well away from the launch site. The explosively quick deployment of the bag when it is triggered and it does its thing has been known to injure people who were sitting in front of it when it went off.
Nick

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Started working on the brake upgrade. Got the passenger side most of the way in before dinner tonight. Big thank you to JAMCAR223 for helping me out with some spindles. Highly recommend talking to him if you are in the market. Parts came so clean and organized. I barely had to wipe them down prior to painting. A27799E5-2640-49F7-BCE7-8015428D71C1.jpeg

• Agree
Reactions: 9 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor