What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the first part of the driver's side frame plate mocked up, trimmed, and Zeus'd into place today. Pretty excited with how this is going so far

Attachments

• IMG_20220423_170942_237.jpg
    IMG_20220423_170942_237.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20220423_180641_570.jpg
    IMG_20220423_180641_570.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20220423_190313_388.jpg
    IMG_20220423_190313_388.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20220423_191112_183.jpg
    IMG_20220423_191112_183.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
After dealing with the compressor drain and the door, took a look at the inner door skin for the Monte and decided to flip and rotate it to expose the inner face and the opposite edge to all the work on the lower door seam that I had been doing.

Spent a quiet hour or so hand sanding all the while overspray that some mook had spritzed all over portions of the perimeter edges of the door face and got them back to either burgundy or primer grey. Sanding is a long term project but the goal is to get the body back to being Burgundy. It is not a rare color as hues go but I happen to like it.

Nick

Just an update, over the weekend I installed the speakers and went just as planned with no issues. I did use Metra speaker connectors that plug into the factory speaker connectors. Installed the rear seat and package tray and done. Plenty of bass and they do hit hard very pleased and no rattling.

Top side
20220424_142741.jpg
20220424_142605.jpg

Bottom in trunk
20220424_195651.jpg

Metra speaker connectors
20220424_195613.jpg

Quite the adventure filled weekend for me, mostly all for not since I missed the Kennywood car show since it ended up dead on the side of the road........

Friday night I did get a good bit of stuff done, fixed the rear speakers not working by taking the amp out and playing with it. Pretty sure that the amp is on its way out since the crossover buttons cause static and was why the rear stopped working, jiggled it some and they came back. Then moved onto moving the big head unit up as far as it will go so hopefully it clears the center console when it rotates. Then moved onto the poppers/window, got it all taken apart, even put the driver mirror adjust back into place. Turns out the popper had just unthreaded while it was hard for me to get my fat hands/arms in there I did get it straight. Adjusted the window as well so there was less lean to it which seams to help close the door better. When I had it all back together window went up and door shut pretty good except I have to push on the door when I hit the popper to open. I'm pretty sure that is just because of the newer rubber seals in it. At that point it was much later than I had hoped so planned to leave the center console side pieces and cleaning until Saturday night.
20220422_152315.jpg
20220422_172915.jpg
20220422_172922.jpg

On the way home the stalling got worse, was still firing right back up which was weird to me. But figured I would also get to that the following day, get it home and into the garage only to realize that the rear tire has a huge piece of metal in it so I will have to patch that was well tomorrow. I had originally planned to do the last few things at my place rather than going down the shop again but when I saw that knew the plans were gonna change.

Met a buddy at my other buddies pizza joint in South Side. Walk out to head down the shop and a dude walks up and asks if I am gonna start up the car and if it was an 87. After I second or 2 I realized it was Najee Harris, I don't like attention about the car in the first place let alone a Pittsburgh Steeler so I quickly answered his questions and wanted to get out of there. Let the air ride start up and go to start and he loses his mind about how cool it is with the air ride and I was afraid he may start taking a video so I try to get out of there quick, but of course it stalls out and then takes a good 10 seconds to turn over. At that point I am mortified and get gone as quick as I could, it stalled again at the end of the block but made its way there.

I again spend more time working on stuff I keep finding to get it right before the show the following day, noticed some wires that looked like they were starting to melt but didn't look like they had gone through. By the time I get through everything it is much later than I had hoped so call it a night and take her home, really didn't think I would get her home cause the stalling started a lot more. I chalked it up to me doing so much inside the car without it being on the trickle charger, the Snipers get really funny if the battery is anywhere but tip top.
20220423_222802.jpg

Get up the next morning clean the car and it seemed to be running fine so figured I was right and it sitting on the trickle over the night let it fully charge up. Well once I get on my way to Kennywood after about 5 minutes or so the stalling starts again. This time I let it drift a bit before restarting it just to save the amount of battery it uses starting. Happened a few times and restarted back up each time after a bit. Get to the bottom of the hill and she stalls one last time but won't turn over again, so get stuck on the side of the road. Luckily my gf was coming to meet me for Kennywood so I have her come get me so I can get to the shop and get some stuff to work on it, message my buddy who is always stuck helping me and he says he will come down and we will do some trouble shooting. I show him the wire I saw last night to see if he thinks that is the culprit, after taking the wire apart to see if there was any cuts or anything in it. He says that isn't a good thing but not the cause of the problem. He says he has never seen anything melt from the intake or the Sniper throttle body. Dives in further and realizes that there is a single connector wire that goes onto the distributor that is on but not fully connected since the safety is broken off. Once he puts that back on it fires back up , it was running but was running pretty rough. He electric tapes a bunch of the wires around there because for some reason a lot of the wires sitting on the intake are starting to get some melt marks and to be safe rather than sorry with them. Once that is all done, the motor seems to be running smoother so we call it good enough with the connector taped into place until I can find a replacement connector for it.
20220424_092552.jpg
20220424_093416.jpg
received_5052805548132736.jpeg

Since I had missed out on Kennywood I decided to take it for a decent drive to see how she runs and hopefully help the tune get back into place, while I was out she was running really good again. Decided since I hadn't eaten all day I was gonna stop at one of my favorite hoagie places before heading over the gf's place
20220424_141116.jpg

I don't remember if I posted this, but I found some Procar seats on Marketplace to replace those "custom" bench seats that I had (unfortunately they sit a bit too high so I need to figure out a solution). I'm also reinstalling the brake lights and fitting the new bumper fillers before I try to get someone to match the paint. Lastly, I'm looking for someone to do weld some patch panels in the front driver's side flooring before I can make the next steps. Slow but steady. I haven't been in a car that I had to manually turn the lights off in 2 years or so...so of course I killed the battery and I can't find my battery charger. smh.

5f3fb4398cd9371b40f636b8b46f9c5aa1b5ee06-1.jpg

e6276d8e5c7449af7ee27bd7faf65a6253948bf1-1.jpg

Quite the adventure filled weekend for me, mostly all for not since I missed the Kennywood car show since it ended up dead on the side of the road........

Friday night I did get a good bit of stuff done, fixed the rear speakers not working by taking the amp out and playing with it. Pretty sure that the amp is on its way out since the crossover buttons cause static and was why the rear stopped working, jiggled it some and they came back. Then moved onto moving the big head unit up as far as it will go so hopefully it clears the center console when it rotates. Then moved onto the poppers/window, got it all taken apart, even put the driver mirror adjust back into place. Turns out the popper had just unthreaded while it was hard for me to get my fat hands/arms in there I did get it straight. Adjusted the window as well so there was less lean to it which seams to help close the door better. When I had it all back together window went up and door shut pretty good except I have to push on the door when I hit the popper to open. I'm pretty sure that is just because of the newer rubber seals in it. At that point it was much later than I had hoped so planned to leave the center console side pieces and cleaning until Saturday night.
View attachment 197256View attachment 197255View attachment 197254
On the way home the stalling got worse, was still firing right back up which was weird to me. But figured I would also get to that the following day, get it home and into the garage only to realize that the rear tire has a huge piece of metal in it so I will have to patch that was well tomorrow. I had originally planned to do the last few things at my place rather than going down the shop again but when I saw that knew the plans were gonna change.

Met a buddy at my other buddies pizza joint in South Side. Walk out to head down the shop and a dude walks up and asks if I am gonna start up the car and if it was an 87. After I second or 2 I realized it was Najee Harris, I don't like attention about the car in the first place let alone a Pittsburgh Steeler so I quickly answered his questions and wanted to get out of there. Let the air ride start up and go to start and he loses his mind about how cool it is with the air ride and I was afraid he may start taking a video so I try to get out of there quick, but of course it stalls out and then takes a good 10 seconds to turn over. At that point I am mortified and get gone as quick as I could, it stalled again at the end of the block but made its way there.

I again spend more time working on stuff I keep finding to get it right before the show the following day, noticed some wires that looked like they were starting to melt but didn't look like they had gone through. By the time I get through everything it is much later than I had hoped so call it a night and take her home, really didn't think I would get her home cause the stalling started a lot more. I chalked it up to me doing so much inside the car without it being on the trickle charger, the Snipers get really funny if the battery is anywhere but tip top.
View attachment 197253
Get up the next morning clean the car and it seemed to be running fine so figured I was right and it sitting on the trickle over the night let it fully charge up. Well once I get on my way to Kennywood after about 5 minutes or so the stalling starts again. This time I let it drift a bit before restarting it just to save the amount of battery it uses starting. Happened a few times and restarted back up each time after a bit. Get to the bottom of the hill and she stalls one last time but won't turn over again, so get stuck on the side of the road. Luckily my gf was coming to meet me for Kennywood so I have her come get me so I can get to the shop and get some stuff to work on it, message my buddy who is always stuck helping me and he says he will come down and we will do some trouble shooting. I show him the wire I saw last night to see if he thinks that is the culprit, after taking the wire apart to see if there was any cuts or anything in it. He says that isn't a good thing but not the cause of the problem. He says he has never seen anything melt from the intake or the Sniper throttle body. Dives in further and realizes that there is a single connector wire that goes onto the distributor that is on but not fully connected since the safety is broken off. Once he puts that back on it fires back up , it was running but was running pretty rough. He electric tapes a bunch of the wires around there because for some reason a lot of the wires sitting on the intake are starting to get some melt marks and to be safe rather than sorry with them. Once that is all done, the motor seems to be running smoother so we call it good enough with the connector taped into place until I can find a replacement connector for it.
View attachment 197252View attachment 197251View attachment 197249
Since I had missed out on Kennywood I decided to take it for a decent drive to see how she runs and hopefully help the tune get back into place, while I was out she was running really good again. Decided since I hadn't eaten all day I was gonna stop at one of my favorite hoagie places before heading over the gf's place
View attachment 197250
(GF) is that something new? Kind of like the master fabricator has a wife now?

(GF) is that something new? Kind of like the master fabricator has a wife now?
Well to be exact, its actually GF's. I like to say they are 2 lesbians who like a little bit of sausage, hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor