What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
It's been a long haul of a hot Summer. my B-Day was on the 9th otherwise I would have posted this earlier. Anyway on said day I dropped by the shop to see the progress the Mechanic has made. Well the engine is in, spacers had to be used for both of the Motor Mounts, I am assuming it was a quality issue. However I had to buy a few more parts which are on the way, New Distributor with the one wire required. New Oil Pressure Sensor and Wiring. Also something called a Dentien Cable? Mechanic called it a "Kick Back' cable that leads to the Transmission something for the Throttle. I've already got a longer "Universal" Throttle Cable that should be long enough to reach the top part of that. Being that I cannot find a shroud IE: Clutch Fan, I myself will have to modify the existing shroud by cutting it short and moving the shoulder that holds the radiator in place inward a bit. Permatex should do the trick for that. Well the engine is in and the transmission is mounted with no problems. All I need are said parts an its about ready to go. I'll be posting a video when the time comes that I get her back.

IMG_20220909_120427205[1].jpg

IMG_20220909_120434724[1].jpg IMG_20220909_121249049[1].jpg IMG_20220909_121256113[1].jpg IMG_20220909_121312507[1].jpg

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It's been a long haul of a hot Summer. my B-Day was on the 9th otherwise I would have posted this earlier. Anyway on said day I dropped by the shop to see the progress the Mechanic has made. Well the engine is in, spacers had to be used for both of the Motor Mounts, I am assuming it was a quality issue. However I had to buy a few more parts which are on the way, New Distributor with the one wire required. New Oil Pressure Sensor and Wiring. Also something called a Dentien Cable? Mechanic called it a "Kick Back' cable that leads to the Transmission something for the Throttle. I've already got a longer "Universal" Throttle Cable that should be long enough to reach the top part of that. Being that I cannot find a shroud IE: Clutch Fan, I myself will have to modify the existing shroud by cutting it short and moving the shoulder that holds the radiator in place inward a bit. Permatex should do the trick for that. Well the engine is in and the transmission is mounted with no problems. All I need are said parts an its about ready to go. I'll be posting a video when the time comes that I get her back.

View attachment 206711

View attachment 206712 View attachment 206713 View attachment 206714 View attachment 206715
For your googling pleasure to be able to look at what the mechanic was asking for it sounds like you mean the detent shift cable, aka kick down cable. Basically it's what tells the trans to downshift when you floor the accelerator to a degree increasing your RPMs and getting your engine into a higher portion of the power band than where you would be at a lower rpm/higher gear. Helpful going up steep hills or when you want to pass something.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
For your googling pleasure to be able to look at what the mechanic was asking for it sounds like you mean the detent shift cable, aka kick down cable. Basically it's what tells the trans to downshift when you floor the accelerator to a degree increasing your RPMs and getting your engine into a higher portion of the power band than where you would be at a lower rpm/higher gear. Helpful going up steep hills or when you want to pass something.
Miss spelled it, and got it in today just now. Will be heading out to the shop to drop it off .

Ahh, so that's what it's for. interesting. Thanks for the info. :cool:

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
MalibuDavyouS, Looking at Pic Two, is your motor solidly mounted as it sure looks that way in the shot?

Also, what transmission are you running? Asking because, from what I see in Pic Three, that looks a lot like what I have sitting on the intake of my Non G, and my t-box is a 700R4 which has a TV cable. The downshift or detent cable that I had when I ran the Th350 had a mounting/pivot tab that had a long slot in it, not what your picture shows. A quick peek using the close up function shows the correct mounting points for the throttle cable and the pivot pin over which the cap on the end of that t-cable snaps into place. So, me here, being curious.

As for today, finished grinding/dressing the tacks on the passenger door side barrier and shot two coats of anti rust primer gray on the inside of the door shell. Not bad but going to give it a fast pass with some wet and dry before throwing a third coat at it.

Took the two extensions for my exhaust system and cut two splits in each of them. Then put the pipes into my portable vise and gave them a gentle squeeze to close up the ends to get a tighter fit. Slipped the "over the axle tube" pipes back into the extensions and put them back in the vise and gave that a squeeze to close up the cuts. Tacked the splits and removed the extensions to check how tight I had gotten them. Close enough so the splits got welded closed and ground down smooth. Still have to size them for overall length and cut the tapers/slashes in the ends.

Nick

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
MalibuDavyouS, Looking at Pic Two, is your motor solidly mounted as it sure looks that way in the shot?

Also, what transmission are you running? Asking because, from what I see in Pic Three, that looks a lot like what I have sitting on the intake of my Non G, and my t-box is a 700R4 which has a TV cable. The downshift or detent cable that I had when I ran the Th350 had a mounting/pivot tab that had a long slot in it, not what your picture shows. A quick peek using the close up function shows the correct mounting points for the throttle cable and the pivot pin over which the cap on the end of that t-cable snaps into place. So, me here, being curious.

As for today, finished grinding/dressing the tacks on the passenger door side barrier and shot two coats of anti rust primer gray on the inside of the door shell. Not bad but going to give it a fast pass with some wet and dry before throwing a third coat at it.

Took the two extensions for my exhaust system and cut two splits in each of them. Then put the pipes into my portable vise and gave them a gentle squeeze to close up the ends to get a tighter fit. Slipped the "over the axle tube" pipes back into the extensions and put them back in the vise and gave that a squeeze to close up the cuts. Tacked the splits and removed the extensions to check how tight I had gotten them. Close enough so the splits got welded closed and ground down smooth. Still have to size them for overall length and cut the tapers/slashes in the ends.

Nick
In response to your question, I am still running with the TH350 Transmission. The bracket shown for the two Cables is one that came off of the V6 and fits on the 305 which will be reused on the engine.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Got the heap back together enough that it can be trailered to the Max Motive show this weekend.....
20220915_193553.jpg
20220915_190547.jpg
20220915_184549.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN3416.JPG

DSCN3403.JPG

DSCN3404.JPG

DSCN3406.JPG

DSCN3408.JPG

DSCN3411.JPG

So, for show and tell today, what you are seeing is a sequence of shots of the passenger side of my Monte. The passenger door has been completely skinned out and only the latch and some brackets remain inside the otherwise bare inner door or shell that is still hanging there.

The detail shots show the lower door flange, or what was left of it and the first attempt done many years ago to try and repair it. This exercise was performed on the back driveway in the sun and rain, under a canopy using a Lincoln 225 Wire Feed set up for Flux Core. Being outside with no shop back then, Gas would have been a waste. it worked, sort of, but it is time to try and get it right. This shell, although no beauty, is repairable. And that may happen some quiet summer day sometime whenever. For now, I have another completely renovated inner shell on the body table and waiting to go in. Repair, you say, why not chuck it as a lost cause? Because, up here in the land of the Frozen Chosen, any kind of donor doors are about one step away from Dodo land, extinct that is. New inner and outer skins are available, sort of, but the wait time is hideous and the price per each, ................well, all about a week's pay.............each.

Try explaining that kind of expenditure to a significant other who has been incessantly nagging at you for the better part of a year about household expenses and how she/he wants new furniture and every room in the house repainted, Again, even though the last paint job was just a year ago..........................

What is also shown is what is left of the inner and outer rocker panels. Total junk, they both will have to be cut away from under the A pillar all the way into the lower forward corner of the front of the quarter panel. You can get outer rockers; the inner I had to fabriate from scratch. Been waiting to do this repair for over a decade at this point. The last shot is the lower A pillar. Once the door shell is unbolted and set aside, I may have to cut this apart and do it all over again. I do happen to have a donor pillar, (and wouldn't that be a crazy looking inch worm) that I can dissect for the necessary bends and panels. It is just a mean amount of work to muddle through. There are a few more shots poste over on the thread about the 85 door problems.

Nick

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
View attachment 206991

View attachment 206995

So, for show and tell today, what you are seeing is a sequence of shots of the passenger side of my Monte. The passenger door has been completely skinned out and only the latch and some brackets remain inside the otherwise bare inner door or shell that is still hanging there.

The detail shots show the lower door flange, or what was left of it and the first attempt done many years ago to try and repair it. This exercise was performed on the back driveway in the sun and rain, under a canopy using a Lincoln 225 Wire Feed set up for Flux Core. Being outside with no shop back then, Gas would have been a waste. it worked, sort of, but it is time to try and get it right. This shell, although no beauty, is repairable. And that may happen some quiet summer day sometime whenever. For now, I have another completely renovated inner shell on the body table and waiting to go in. Repair, you say, why not chuck it as a lost cause? Because, up here in the land of the Frozen Chosen, any kind of donor doors are about one step away from Dodo land, extinct that is. New inner and outer skins are available, sort of, but the wait time is hideous and the price per each, ................well, all about a week's pay.............each.

Try explaining that kind of expenditure to a significant other who has been incessantly nagging at you for the better part of a year about household expenses and how she/he wants new furniture and every room in the house repainted, Again, even though the last paint job was just a year ago..........................

What is also shown is what is left of the inner and outer rocker panels. Total junk, they both will have to be cut away from under the A pillar all the way into the lower forward corner of the front of the quarter panel. You can get outer rockers; the inner I had to fabriate from scratch. Been waiting to do this repair for over a decade at this point. The last shot is the lower A pillar. Once the door shell is unbolted and set aside, I may have to cut this apart and do it all over again. I do happen to have a donor pillar, (and wouldn't that be a crazy looking inch worm) that I can dissect for the necessary bends and panels. It is just a mean amount of work to muddle through. There are a few more shots poste over on the thread about the 85 door problems.

Nick
waste not, want not. I see you area also using a battery on top of the jack to hold the door/frame up?
and is the chocolate ice cream for having a snack later? 😁

• Haha

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Ah............No. While you are right to believe that the battery is sitting on the lift deck of the bike jack however, sorry, there is no lift going on I use those batteries as dead weight when trying to push panels into place. And it is a dead battery; it has long since ceased to be. What you see and think you see is actually the camera angle playing tricks on you.............gotcha.

As for the ice cream container, nope, ice cream long gone. The empty containers, being made of tough plastic, get washed and rinsed out and recycled out to the shop to hold bolts and varsol and anything else that will fit in one of them. I even use them for tool sets like my 1/4 drive kit which is what caught your eye, the box beside it, with the green label, quit holding screws some time ago and now holds drill bits. Reduce, re-use, recycle.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor