What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent most of the day Saturday messing with the car again, was originally thinking we would have it running by the end. But Edlebrock doing something weird with their fuel regulator made us have to mess with the replacement one I got for a large part of the day. Really weird that Edlebrock is out of stock, and Summit has them but cannot sell them to anyone..... A few other hiccups, the cold air intake I got needs to get a block off plate. The temp sensor from the kit would leak no matter how many times we tried to tighten and thread seal. So luckily stole the one from the Sniper. Did get the kick down and throttle cables mounted, so now hoping to get the last couple of parts needed to wrap it up sometime this week
20231209_124640.jpg
20231209_163210.jpg
20231209_164301.jpg
20231209_100330.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
I thought-10*c was just a chilly day for you?
Thats true, it has been uncharacteristically mild this December so far... however laying on cold concrete for hours on end takes its toll! haha

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Yes Jack, I used my old favorite- Interlux Primocon. It is an underwater metals primer that is meant to be submerged, so totally waterproof. I use it on all kinds of things. Mostly outboard motor lower units, iron stoop railings, steel car rims, the list is endless. That tub was so heavy it was easier to restore it than replace it. The inside was very smooth, no scratches. In my own house the clawfoot was replaced in 1949 with the world's ugliest and most uncomfortable 'modern' tub by idiots. We always hated it. So when I restored the bathroom we got a fiberglass clawfoot tub. Even though it was not as heavy, it still took me and my grandson a long time to carefully muscle it up the stairs. They must have installed the original clawfoots with a crane- and then built the rest of the house around them. But being so light I made up some brackets to anchor it to the floor so it didn't get moved and hurt the pipes. I usually don't demolish and rebuild. I prefer to restore old things with modern components just like we do with cars. This is my 100 year old bathroom. This should be in the 'not G-body' thread but what the heck. Aren't those fixtures cool? And modern washerless no maintenance to boot. Gotta love it............................................................View attachment 232184View attachment 232185View attachment 232186
Mark,
Thank you for sharing the pics of your clawfoot tub and bathroom renovation. So. let me understand. That tub pictured isn't the actual cast iron clawfoot tub, it's a fiberglass reproduction. Still very cool. I like it. You're absolutely right about the original tubs weighing a ton, literally and were more than likely set in place with a crane as the house was built around it. Cool fixtures, too.
Thanks for also mentioning about the Interlux Primocon. Sounds like a great product.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes Jack. The cast iron one is still at my daughter's place. It was so heavy that it took two of us just to move it away from the wall. I needed to repair some of the subway tiles and the floor stones, paint the tub sides, and plumb new supply and waste lines. They sell restored cast iron tubs but there was no way one of those was getting up my stairs. The fiberglass tub is much nicer anyway. The cast iron tubs suck the heat from the water too much. The company Signature Hardware has all sorts of old timey stuff but made with modern materials.

Yes Jack. The cast iron one is still at my daughter's place. It was so heavy that it took two of us just to move it away from the wall. I needed to repair some of the subway tiles and the floor stones, paint the tub sides, and plumb new supply and waste lines. They sell restored cast iron tubs but there was no way one of those was getting up my stairs. The fiberglass tub is much nicer anyway. The cast iron tubs suck the heat from the water too much. The company Signature Hardware has all sorts of old timey stuff but made with modern materials.
Mark,
I could understand the fiberglass tub feeling warmer than the old cast iron beast which probably retains the cold until the warm water heats up the surface.
I think they do get a lot for the old clawfoot cast iron tubs. I wouldn't want to hump that thing up the stairs. No way, no how.
People restoring old turn of the century houses are sticklers for originality. Whatever floats your boat as they say.

sticklers for originality
Not me. I don't have many things that are 100% original. Definitely not cars! I prefer to have the 100 year old looking fixture or whatever, and replace the internals with modern wiring, etc. Fleabay is loaded with cool old stuff but I would never trust 100 year old wiring! I don't even trust my G-body wiring. I upgrade whenever I can to tinned/copper marine grade wiring of a larger gauge.

Not me. I don't have many things that are 100% original. Definitely not cars! I prefer to have the 100 year old looking fixture or whatever, and replace the internals with modern wiring, etc. Fleabay is loaded with cool old stuff but I would never trust 100 year old wiring! I don't even trust my G-body wiring. I upgrade whenever I can to tinned/copper marine grade wiring of a larger gauge.
Being original doesn't necessarily mean reliable. It's cool if you can retain the original appearance, but upgrade the mechanicals, etc. I couldn't agree with you more. Lord knows my 64 yr old house is a prime candidate for upgrading.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey Jack, I see we are now Rocket Powered Basset Hounds. I wonder how old Steve is doing? He always signed off with this: :mrgreen:

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Jack, I see we are now Rocket Powered Basset Hounds. I wonder how old Steve is doing? He always signed off with this: :mrgreen:
Mark,
Every time I see the Rocket powered Bassett hound designation, I also think of our old friend Steve. I miss the old son of a buck. No one has ever caught up to his thread count. He was a prolific contributor on this forum . I miss Steve. Despite what anyone thought of him, he was a straight shooter, no bullshit kind of guy.
Have you ever tried to contact him? I may actually have his address somewhere. I wonder if he's still working as a paralegal?

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor