What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark,
I'm sure once the paint cures it could probably be color sanded and buffed. However, I think it looks great as it it. Like you said, it's a working wagon. My car had been a daily driver and working wagon for many years until I took it off the road. It's seen a few NY winters before finding it's way down here in Flora-duh.
I recall back in the late 60's, early 70's, I used to help my dad do house painting, mostly interior work. I painted a customers kitchen cabinets with Interlux paint. They came out very nice and lasted for many years. I impressed myself. :p

I like your battery tender idea. I guess the car cover renders the solar panel useless?
cut a hole in the car cover where it would cover the dash, stitch up the edges to prevent unraveling, Bob's your uncle (y)

alternatively, run the cable out the door jamb, close the door, punch small in cover to feed cable thru, place solar panel on top of cover

Reactions: 1 users
Replaced the low pressure hose on the power steering pump and noticed the high pressure was seeping just a little at the box. So I decided to snug that up as well. Then upon starting up the car, the low pressure was fine and the high pressure was now a full blown leak. I should have left well enough alone. Replacing the high pressure line did not fix the leak so I'm sure the box was damaged as a result of my obsession with my "no leaks OCD". Luckily the QR box is still under warranty so a replacement box and a new high pressure line will be on the way.

I painted a customers kitchen cabinets with Interlux paint
And I bet it still looks great Jack. When my Mom-in-law passed we fixed the house up for our kids to use. There was a huge old heavy cast iron claw foot tub in the bathroom. You know the kind- NYC was full of them. The inside was very nice but the outside was rusty and awful. A lot of sanding and a few coats of Interlux Blu-Glo White and it looks like new. As for the cover I don't need to cut it. The NOCO is a terrific charger/maintainer. I leave my little Whaler hooked up 24/7 and it is always fully charged for a day of fishing. The car doesn't even need to be hooked up that long. I am outside a lot so when working out there I just plug it in and right away it is 100%.

One step closer. Fluids then first start.

there is lots of info out there on these swaps, but if anyone has any questions at all feel free to send me a message. I'll do my best to take pictures or whatever.

Build thread to come shortly after I unthaw over the next few weeks (canadian poster here)
View attachment 20231209_175604.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
And I bet it still looks great Jack. When my Mom-in-law passed we fixed the house up for our kids to use. There was a huge old heavy cast iron claw foot tub in the bathroom. You know the kind- NYC was full of them. The inside was very nice but the outside was rusty and awful. A lot of sanding and a few coats of Interlux Blu-Glo White and it looks like new. As for the cover I don't need to cut it. The NOCO is a terrific charger/maintainer. I leave my little Whaler hooked up 24/7 and it is always fully charged for a day of fishing. The car doesn't even need to be hooked up that long. I am outside a lot so when working out there I just plug it in and right away it is 100%.
Mark,
I love those old clawfoot tubs. Other than sanding and scuffing the tub down, did you use any type of primer or prep solution to give the paint tooth?...or just something to neutralize the rust.
So it was just the outside of the tub that you painted, the inside was still in nice shape.
I know that an epoxy finish is available specifically to refinish old porcelain sinks and tubs. I know it's cheap though. What is these days. :rolleyes:

Been a while since I got anything done on the ‘80, life has been busy and another death in the family a few weeks back.

My friend who painted the car called this morning and told me he was ready to put the rear quarter windows in the car if I was around. So, he came up and his wife tore off with my wife and daughter to go shopping while we worked on the car. Both windows went in pretty well, but we had to finesse the Re-Pops quarter seals a little. They are better than nothing at all but I would have liked to have used NOS if I could have found them.

My car is a base model and I decided not to use the more elaborate higher option wide moldings and use the minimalist design it was born with.

IMG_4705.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
did you use any type of primer or prep solution to give the paint tooth?
Yes Jack, I used my old favorite- Interlux Primocon. It is an underwater metals primer that is meant to be submerged, so totally waterproof. I use it on all kinds of things. Mostly outboard motor lower units, iron stoop railings, steel car rims, the list is endless. That tub was so heavy it was easier to restore it than replace it. The inside was very smooth, no scratches. In my own house the clawfoot was replaced in 1949 with the world's ugliest and most uncomfortable 'modern' tub by idiots. We always hated it. So when I restored the bathroom we got a fiberglass clawfoot tub. Even though it was not as heavy, it still took me and my grandson a long time to carefully muscle it up the stairs. They must have installed the original clawfoots with a crane- and then built the rest of the house around them. But being so light I made up some brackets to anchor it to the floor so it didn't get moved and hurt the pipes. I usually don't demolish and rebuild. I prefer to restore old things with modern components just like we do with cars. This is my 100 year old bathroom. This should be in the 'not G-body' thread but what the heck. Aren't those fixtures cool? And modern washerless no maintenance to boot. Gotta love it............................................................ IMG_0067.JPG IMG_0075.JPG IMG_0077.JPG

Reactions: 4 users
One step closer. Fluids then first start.

there is lots of info out there on these swaps, but if anyone has any questions at all feel free to send me a message. I'll do my best to take pictures or whatever.

Build thread to come shortly after I unthaw over the next few weeks (canadian poster here)
View attachment 232174
I thought-10*c was just a chilly day for you?

Yes Jack, I used my old favorite- Interlux Primocon. It is an underwater metals primer that is meant to be submerged, so totally waterproof. I use it on all kinds of things. Mostly outboard motor lower units, iron stoop railings, steel car rims, the list is endless. That tub was so heavy it was easier to restore it than replace it. The inside was very smooth, no scratches. In my own house the clawfoot was replaced in 1949 with the world's ugliest and most uncomfortable 'modern' tub by idiots. We always hated it. So when I restored the bathroom we got a fiberglass clawfoot tub. Even though it was not as heavy, it still took me and my grandson a long time to carefully muscle it up the stairs. They must have installed the original clawfoots with a crane- and then built the rest of the house around them. But being so light I made up some brackets to anchor it to the floor so it didn't get moved and hurt the pipes. I usually don't demolish and rebuild. I prefer to restore old things with modern components just like we do with cars. This is my 100 year old bathroom. This should be in the 'not G-body' thread but what the heck. Aren't those fixtures cool? And modern washerless no maintenance to boot. Gotta love it............................................................View attachment 232184View attachment 232185View attachment 232186
As a kid that’s all we ever had in the house. Not even a shower option. Was put in back in 1972 and is still there as my brother owns the house. You wouldn’t want to know of the two other ones in the old cow pasture that is still holding water to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor