What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a little while since I've had mine out because of the rain down here. Went to start it and the battery was just enough juice to not turn over..🙄

Got out on the street and got rolling on the down hill, 3rd gear clutch slip got er going..🤘

Made couple stops to do stuff, everywhere had thumbs up and compliments. Some people like cars. 🙂

View attachment 224992
Nice, but you need to take the time to touch up that windshield molding in the corner.

Reactions: Oldscarnut
Nice, but you need to take the time to touch up that windshield molding in the corner.
It would all have to come off to get powdercoated again. I have to re-hang the driver's door too.. there's a list haha.

Well my Denny's driveshaft finally came for my Regal so I got that installed Today and the fit was perfect and very nice quality.
Side by side with my stock one. I actually needed one about an inch longer to work with the QP 9".
20230722_165502.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure that's how it was factory I could be wrong. If it's painted well same as above
Neither of my cars came with black molding so I blasted, primed and painted mine with Duplicolor semi gloss black engine enamel which is actually a little darker than SEM trim paint and very durable.
If you want powder coated (which I believe is how factory was done) maybe source another set of trim and send that out and just do the swap when it is done.

Well my Denny's driveshaft finally came for my Regal so I got that installed Today and the fit was perfect and very nice quality.
Side by side with my stock one. I actually needed one about an inch longer to work with the QP 9".
View attachment 225011
They do great work. They built us driveshafts for my brother's Camaro, Dad's Galaxie and my GP.

Though I did not do the work on my G Body this time, I thought the story might help another who might be having the same struggles as I have had trying to get their pride and joy back on the road. Many on this site are familiar with the background story, so I will shorten it up to a few sentences.

BACKGROUND/ I had a 1968 Olds 350 and nothing to put it in, so I traded for a 1980 G Body El Camino with a sick V6. Years later I had a blueprinted W-31 spec in it. It was always very difficult to start. In fact, it wouldn’t. It had gas, air and spark. It was 180 degrees out, so it bent 4 pushrods. Even broke a rocker arm. GBody forum ideas and advice later, I tried the wholesale parts replacement route, *new carb, gear reduction starter, and HEI distributor. It has an EBrock intake, but I stayed with the QJet and paid a premium to a carb shop in LA for the “correct” carb. My engine was missing everything, no internal. Months of indoor work allowed me to swap in buckets for a bench seat, and a console. I replaced the headliner. I replaced everything but the proportioning valve in the brake system, and a soft pedal and drip trace to the proportioning valve, and it is replaced. While it sat dead, I replaced the body mounts and other appearance details, including a headlight that decided to dim while the car sat quietly, mostly without a battery. It now has temp, oil and volt gauges and I have the tach ready to plug in and find a place to mount. It now has a new radiator and battery. Idol minds are not good in a long-term restoration. Finally, it has new tires. You’d think it was driving even. NOPE!

NEW/ While trying for the umpteenth time to get it started, I had a helper, and he said he’ll work the throttle. Remember, the acc pump was working, the bowl was full and even the choke was operating, and the engine was speeding up as it cranked, with no loping, no backfire and turning freely. After two shots he noted some spewing while it cranked, Spewing gas out of the valves in the carb not good! Not feeling confident to rebuild a Qjet, I did some research and found a well renowned place about an hour away. I paid the first shop $350 for it because I didn’t have a core, but they assured me many times that it was the correct one. Carb Connection in Kirkland, WA wanted $385 to go through it and get it right. What they found was that this was a 442 carb with the correct top, but the bottom was ALL wrong. The LA shop apparently thought that a Qjet was a Qjet, interchangeable. The Jets were wrong, and the leaking was because the two halves were NOT A MATCH! So, add another $50 for a new bottom, some labor, some tax (for the governor to spend like a pot-smoking monkey), and a 3% charge because I use plastic instead of cash or check (something the banks forced years ago), and my working carb was $493.

Tomorrow is the day! Right? It is 84 here today and a rainy 64 degree day comes tomorrow. It has been since 2019, a non-running El Camino. The only things that have not been updated or replaced are the windows. If it doesn’t start and run, there is a rumor that it be rolled down my backyard hill and set on fire. There is a burn ban in place so that may the only thing that saves it. With respect for all who are in the midst of projects, and with thanks to all that have weighed in with ideas, trouble shooting and advice, the sun will be up tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor