What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone be highly offended if I posted some A-Body content in here in order to maintain my interest and motivation? I feel like it's more fitting in this thread than the non-G project thread as the Skylark is what replaced my Regal. Plus the A body is just the G Body's grandpa. If anyone objects, no worries.
I don't really since my G is really an A being it's an '81.

Reactions: 79CutlassSupreme
I don't really since my G is really an A being it's an '81.
In my mind, my Skylark really feels like a G Body. I know its not, but I'll always consider myself a G Body guy first, and having owned both, the similarities between the two are plentiful. The basic construction is nearly identical.

In my mind, my Skylark really feels like a G Body. I know its not, but I'll always consider myself a G Body guy first, and having owned both, the similarities between the two are plentiful. The basic construction is nearly identical.
So what you're saying is your skylark is a transgender gbody and it identifies as such?

Both are just as poorly thought out and designed by an engineer that loved how many layers an onion has?
And halfass assembled by hungover UAW workers who stayed up too late watching the Red Wings?
So what you're saying is your skylark is a transgender gbody and it identifies as such?
The worst possible interpretation.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
  • Agree
Reactions: CopperNick
Or was built on a Monday Morning or a Friday afternoon. Historically, my first Monte was a 78 which would have made it an A-Body so I have no dog in this hunt.

Not sure about the whole buttercup routine but, no matter,

I just come here for the Pictures anyway.................................😀

Reactions: john87442
So the shop temperature made it to around 90 degrees sometime around 3 PM. Good thing this was my second item on todays to do list.

DSCN3837.JPG

DSCN3839.JPG

Air is useful and an air cut off wheel is an asset. Pic One shows the leading section of the passenger's quarter panel with the initial set of cuts made to the skin.

Pic two is the section of skin, plus a couple of additional cut aways, laying on the shop floor.

DSCN3838.JPG

And this neat little pile is what poured out of the cavity when I removed the section of metal. Sand, salt, rust mixture, I would suspect. Been in there for more than a minute, maybe a day or two at least.

DSCN3840.JPG

DSCN3841.JPG

Shots four and five are detail pictures. In both you can clearly see the stump of the old rocker panel and how it had been amputated at some point in the past, probably to remove a portion that was heavily rusted or damaged. That solid line of rust from left to right is the seam for the inner and outer rocker panel and the skin and all of that will be cut away and totally replaced with new meterial.

Now that the basic cuts have been made, the total opening is still going to grow some. The overlaps for the wheel house and the door pillar still have to be marked out and very gingerly cut away./ I need to leave the substructures intact in both those areas in order to have anchor points for the new panels when they get installed.

Nick

Well to begin the A Body content, I have the fender pretty much stripped to bare metal. Used a combination of the SCT, roloc discs, and the spot blaster. I used Ospho on the pitted areas. There is some flash rust I want to clean up, otherwise it's ready for primer.
20230802_200538.jpg
20230802_200545.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor