What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh! that spare change would just about pay for the detergent or degreaser for the cleaning.

Nick

After all this time. . .

IMG_20230729_204909358.jpg

Initially I was going to buy a new Rear View Mirror, but for $50 bucks I do but don't have, I decided I was going to see If I could try to fix this one. Its weird because this Mirror felt loose were the Ball Joint meets the back. . . Now it's as stiff as a board???. So I took off the metal piece that would have been stuck on the windshield, slid it into place on the new one, tightened it up with it's THwhat ever size that was and Boom! Now I can peak at the rear without having to look back, but the cool things with these Malibu's are the "Panoramic View". Still saved me from having to buy a new one off Ebay and I am happy. Dyno Mechanic who magically got me back to norm on the carb said I could go back in with the Pittsburgh Vacuum Gauge and get the Air/Fuel mixture up to where it needs to be, I'll do that tomorrow. Other than that I am pissing off both the Neighbors and the Lot Manager Spinning Tires 👍. . I'm in love with this car ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ 😎.

Leaky th350 saga continues. Took the pan down, removed the moroso gasket, beat the pan back flat with a flat faced hammer and a half inch chunk of steel as I've done about 4 times already, installed another cork gasket, this time with that permatex red gasket tack stuff. It still drips from the passenger front corner of the pan. I suspected the dipstick tube be leaking as I've had that happen before, I shoved my phone up there on video mode and I did see some red wetness. But I don't think that's enough to cause a dog size puddle under the car every time I park. You can see the pan actively dripping, even if I reach up and wipe the area the tube goes in clean and dry. It's seemingly coming from in-between the case and top of gasket.
I've confirmed the front seal probably isn't leaking. Converter was dry as was the pump cover behind it.

New pan should be here soon. I'll try that with the moroso gasket.

Also, for the longest time this transmission didn't leak. I don't know what changed but now it's been failure after failure to stop the red tide.

Reactions: MalibuDavyou5
Now you have me wondering if there might be a crack of some kind in the case to pan flange? Or up on the front case face where the pump is located. Pump seal damaged or failed and leaking fluid?

Nick

I installed a new power motor housing on my passenger side bucket, it would shutter when you went all of the way forward or backwards. It fit perfectly and I used my original screws instead of the generic ones that came with it.
I had to pull the left track off to get it out and reinstall.
20230730_124146.jpg
20230730_142110.jpg
20230730_145659.jpg

Got ahold of the replacement distributor module on Friday and installed it Saturday.
Tried to fire the car up today after cleaning plugs, ran rough again and when it died, lost spark.

At this point I’m cutting my losses and picking up a MSD StreetFire from the local auto parts store and seeing if I can convert this knockoff to a magnetic pickup only distributor with MSD parts.

Side quarter window work had rust and holes fixed holes with fiberglass and jb.weld (12 hour)decided to use a black lock tight poly caulk to reseal the glass .it had butyl but lowes didn't have it the locktight came in black as well as white sp I got the black cleanup with spirits (gas) ect just don't get it on the bond area ,it (locktight) was handy to fill some defects to the rubber sealing lip as well .while this may sound cheap it worked for my purposes ps that's jb weld holding that belt trim on too much rust for screws
16911974070190.jpg

Attachments

• 20230730_192501.jpg
    20230730_192501.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
  • 20230730_192510.jpg
    20230730_192510.jpg
    853.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Reactions: MalibuDavyou5
I removed the dipstick tube, put a new o ring on it, and some automatic trans specific rtv on the lip of the tube and let it sit overnight jacked up on the passenger side to keep fluid away from it. Just drove to the grocery store and parked it again, hopefully no more leaks, or at least one thats manageable. A small mcmuffin size puddle or a few drips dont bother me. When it leave a dog size puddle everytime it sits, especially at work, thats when i get annoyed.

Got ahold of the replacement distributor module on Friday and installed it Saturday.
Tried to fire the car up today after cleaning plugs, ran rough again and when it died, lost spark.

At this point I’m cutting my losses and picking up a MSD StreetFire from the local auto parts store and seeing if I can convert this knockoff to a magnetic pickup only distributor with MSD parts.
That conversion might be easier than I thought….
2152C38F-0F6E-4F8C-9E05-8911858C2FFE.jpeg

D3DEE452-D733-4715-B084-79641382309E.jpeg

I’ll have to epoxy the wires around the black plastic support to put the wires out the opposite side of the distributor housing where the RTR wires exit, but I think I can pull it off.

Now to find my old 6A box that looked like it came out of a lake….

Would anyone be highly offended if I posted some A-Body content in here in order to maintain my interest and motivation? I feel like it's more fitting in this thread than the non-G project thread as the Skylark is what replaced my Regal. Plus the A body is just the G Body's grandpa. If anyone objects, no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor