What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the 84 Turbo Buick GN, an electric fuel pump gets installed into the gas tank for obvious reasons. On that basis, my question to all and sundry is this. Despite the electric pump being resident, is the tank shell itself similar/same as what would be typically found under any of the other G's, such as the Monte, the Pontiac, the Olds, and the Malibu's from 1978-1988? I have not included the Elky simply because of it being a half-n-half and not being sure of what GM did for it in terms of the gas tank.

Also, does anyone happen to know off-hand what the internal depth or height of the tank is from the floor or tank bottom to the flange ring?

All this falls under the heading of a "what might fit what" possibility so at this point this is an information search, the results of which will help me with a future decision.

Nick
The Monte carlo with the 4.3L FI motor was the only gbody other than the Turbo Buicks (1984-1987) that had a factory fuel injection baffled gas tank.

From an exterior dimension standpoint, the FI regal tank is the same as the non-fi tank, and id suspect the FI Monte tank to be the same as the regular Monte tank as well, although, I haven't compared the Monte tanks side by side.

Good to know. The plan here to see if the FI electric fuel pump assembly will drop into my new/spare gas tank for the Van. The detail shots of the mounting flange looks very close to what exists on the Vans. (Both being GM made, a little similarity should exist, but.....). I haven't given up on FI for it but the one major problem that I could never solve with the old system was fuel delivery and the G-Body FI system looks like it might be a solution.

CK80, would you happen to know the internal depth of a typical G-Body gas tank? I no longer have one to take a tape measure to as it got can punched and drained, then went to the recyclers a few years back.

Thanks,

Nick

Back on the ground….well kinda. Started with the spring height set at no preload. Only had about 1/2” between bump stop and frame but damn she looks good low. Cranked on the springs till ride height was set. All that’s left now is to machine the spindles for the bumpsteer kit and route the brake lines. 70267088846__EFD38F24-111B-419E-91DD-2C02E84AC186.jpeg IMG_2418.jpeg

Reactions: 8 users
Wrapped up the power distribution panel in the back for the most part:
03E481A8-3ED2-46C5-A8B0-7E2F120F0F2E.jpeg

AF70774A-40CD-47E5-9A2C-34B496D3046C.jpeg

Really feels like 10 pounds of **** in a 5 pound bag with wires crossing close to one another, but no grounds come into contact with any power lines at least. A few feet of fiberglass insulation wrap and everything on here will have an extra layer of security.

Currently cleaning the trunk out to clean this filthy mess for the last time.

Reactions: 6 users
Good to know. The plan here to see if the FI electric fuel pump assembly will drop into my new/spare gas tank for the Van. The detail shots of the mounting flange looks very close to what exists on the Vans. (Both being GM made, a little similarity should exist, but.....). I haven't given up on FI for it but the one major problem that I could never solve with the old system was fuel delivery and the G-Body FI system looks like it might be a solution.

CK80, would you happen to know the internal depth of a typical G-Body gas tank? I no longer have one to take a tape measure to as it got can punched and drained, then went to the recyclers a few years back.

Thanks,

Nick
If nobody else chimes in first I can check one here once it'll stop raining. Started on Friday night, hasn't quit yet.

A fuel injected tank may have slightly less depth than a normal one as the fuel injected specialized innards got attached inside the bottom of the shell, which, in itself is sort of a misnomer as theres still usually something in the tank, just not as tall or good at keeping fuel supplied to the in-tank pump. And I don't think I've got a used non-fi tank out back that's not in a car.

That said, the non-fi sending unit fits in a FI tank, (I put them in every replacement I do these days so if I decide to use tbi or tpi in a car someday it's there), and, a factory FI in-pump setup hanger will fit the Non-FI tank, but, could suffer starvation if fuel is below half a tank or so and you do some maneuvering that pulls the liquid away

Thanks,

Nick

I'm reading 8 3/4"s to the flange. The tank is a Spectre replacement tank out of my '80 Cutlass.

IMG_4034.jpeg IMG_4032.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
BEAUTY!! That's what i needed and my tank for this exercise is , most likely, a Spectre as well. Best possible circumstances have the pickup sock sitting right down on the floor and the gas gauge float and pump slightly higher and not touching anything.

Now I need to score that pump.

Thanks large, old80cs.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user
Oil, filter, valve cover gaskets, washed it. New p/s pump. After dying and coming back to life twice, the 38 year old original has failed. Good god there's nothing worse than a p/s car with non functioning p/s.

Cleaned the trunk out Saturday, wasn’t very happy with what I found.
E6A2DBD6-1989-428D-989C-CC7F7B38ACFA.jpeg

171F7E23-B770-4251-BB2A-B0417F0052AD.jpeg

BD1419CA-A825-48AA-9E50-E449183AE4E8.jpeg

Rust. Coming from up under the paint where I treated it with Ospho, and some areas where it was never treated. The icing on the cake is the trunk paint never chemically bonded with the epoxy primer either, so there’s a lot of little specks missing.

Guess I’m stripping this again this week.

• Sad
Huh! And here I thought the bummer was all those wires sitting there minus ends like they had been introduced to a pair of side cutters.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor