What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to a friend's house who has a beautiful 79 Bu. He has a lift and offered to swap out my upper arms to adjustable ones to correct the pinion angle. It helped some, but still have a vibration to chase down. Pic of our cars at a big show over the weekend, and an underside glamor shot showing I did a full resto, not just a topside....View attachment 228800View attachment 228801
Where is that exhaust from?

Went to a friend's house who has a beautiful 79 Bu. He has a lift and offered to swap out my upper arms to adjustable ones to correct the pinion angle. It helped some, but still have a vibration to chase down. Pic of our cars at a big show over the weekend, and an underside glamor shot showing I did a full resto, not just a topside....View attachment 228800View attachment 228801
Brag Tv Land GIF by YoungerTV

I have always been a sucker for a nice underside
It's whats on the insides that counts!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Got some good progress yesterday even though having trouble finding the right grommet to go from the PCV to the Edlebrock valve cover. Finished wrapping the headers, left them undone and extra until my mechanic who has wrapped before gives them the once over. Then cleaned up the engine bay some, then figured while I was dirty might as well scotch brite the super curbed wheels so I can plasti dip the lips to see how that looks
20230928_190509.jpg
20230928_190502.jpg
20230928_185251.jpg
20230928_185245.jpg
20230928_185034.jpg
20230928_185027.jpg
20230928_182707.jpg
20230928_174004.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
About that vibration, any chance that your drive shaft might need to be balanced or maybe rebalanced? They do come weighted to spin true from the factory but use, abuse, and few cycles of pounding out and replacing U-joints can tweak them.

Other weird and possible options can include a bent crank pulley, a cracked flexplate, or a damaged flywheel or pressure plate

Nick

Reactions: 1 user
About that vibration, any chance that your drive shaft might need to be balanced or maybe rebalanced? They do come weighted to spin true from the factory but use, abuse, and few cycles of pounding out and replacing U-joints can tweak them.

Other weird and possible options can include a bent crank pulley, a cracked flexplate, or a damaged flywheel or pressure plate

Nick
I had the driveshaft thought as well. But blowing up the picture it looks new with the sticker still on it. Though possibly the pinion bearing as well as the other ones you mentioned Nick

The other group of possibles involves something called "transferred vibration" Fancy term for damage or mis-alignment of moving parts showing up as a vibration or discordant sound that appears to be coming from elsewhere. Good example is a tire wear that is due to imbalance or internal damage in the tire carcass as opposed to a ball joint or tie rod end being worn out.

In a car, another good example might be a worn out body mount or broken frame mount. Visually you don't see much because everything is still there and looks okay but drive it and put the mount under torque or acceleration and it moves and you get a vibration where the disconnect has happened.

Nick

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
The other group of possibles involves something called "transferred vibration" Fancy term for damage or mis-alignment of moving parts showing up as a vibration or discordant sound that appears to be coming from elsewhere. Good example is a tire wear that is due to imbalance or internal damage in the tire carcass as opposed to a ball joint or tie rod end being worn out.

In a car, another good example might be a worn out body mount or broken frame mount. Visually you don't see much because everything is still there and looks okay but drive it and put the mount under torque or acceleration and it moves and you get a vibration where the disconnect has happened.

Nick
And is a “pain in the buttocks “ so to say!😖

First time in something like a year, broke out the old Malibu, got some fuel, gave it a quick rinsing, and went for a small drive to make sure everything was good. Still some things that I would like to address, but more interested in getting the wagon back on the road

IMG_0856[1].JPG

Reactions: 8 users
Been trying to get backup lights wired in from the transmission as well as adding the choke and tach wires to go into through the firewall. Finally played with the lower chrome in the rear. And got that off, I’m deleting it so it’ll be up for sale soon as I find out what it’s worth. Was never off the car though it’s multiple paint jobs.
Car hasn’t seen the road since 2001 out of Georgia. Don’t know if anyone knows this guy. He was the last owner that drove it I think.
IMG_5149.jpeg
IMG_5150.jpeg
IMG_5151.jpeg
IMG_5147.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor