What did you do to your G-Body today 2024

Continued getting ready for the Classic, balancing my wheels so hopefully its a smooth ride out. Last thing I will do today is make the mount for the new head unit

View attachment 242468
I see you're going for the modern Greased Lightning look on your wheel lugs

1720803290154.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Did yet another color sand on that pestiferous cover to see how well the first coats had laid down. A few bumps and humps rose out of the background but that was to be expected. This panel is far from "factory flat" and go get it this far has been something of a serious exercise in patience and perseverance. Shot the, hopefully, last coats last night, athough I think I might have picked up a wandering bit of lint that just happened to find a freshly shot coat of paint attractive for some reason. No plans to be in the shop this evening, The current outside temperature is 84 F., with a humidity level of 53% adding a few more degrees on top of that. Not supposed to come down any over night either. The WeatherHeads are yodelling about Heat Alerts and staying cool, with the periodic burble about thunder and lightning and possibly gerbils and weavils and lemurs, OH MY.

Non Sequitur but sort of related to the heat thing is that I have the A/C repair dude schedule for early AM tomorrow as my house A/C is having issues. Nothing terminal, just not blowing cold as it should or shutting off without help. There is a valve or something along that line in one of the delivery lines that seems to have a very short life span. This same thing happened about this time for the last two years and both so-called fixes seemed to come with very short life spans.

Nick

Reactions: 4 users
Learned the hard way to never paint over E-coat again.
162B4298-5B2B-42F2-901F-E992FA344999.jpeg

Had just enough epoxy primer left to mix for one coat. Anywhere there was black E-coat left on, rust was starting to poke through.
Stripped down to bare metal and primed in 3 hours. I’ve officially had enough for one weekend.

Reactions: 3 users
And less than a half hour in the shop got me a color sanded panel that I then resprayed. The offending piece of debris wasn't overtly visible until you looked at the panel from an angle. Then it stood out like a wart on a toad. Knocked it down to bare metal very quickly just to be sure that I got it all, visited to other micro-spots that irked me, did a tack rag wipe to make sure that no dust had remained and took the shot. Liked what I saw, and closed the shop down. Even this late in the evening, it is still like trying to breathe soup and my lungs are not happy.

This reminds me of Minneapolis and crashing at a Brother's place while stateside. No central A/C. His mom slept on the couch under the wall mount. Both she and the house are long gone. Airport took the property for an expansion. He's supposed to be living with his brother somewhere in Central Mn. on a county road or minor state Hwy, all I've ever been able to see on a flyover is trees. Think they do back to the fifties, if he is still ambulatory, he's a vet and life did its best to bust him up some. Moving on.

Nick

Nick

Reactions: 1 user
DSCN4257.JPG

DSCN4258.JPG

So these first two shots show the upper radiator air duct cover as it looked this morning after a night of drying time.

DSCN4259.JPG

DSCN4260.JPG

I liked what I had and could see but elected to do one final light shot, just to get some additional material depth laid on the metal. It is already hot enough that paint will flash very quickly, which was part of the plan?

DSCN4261.JPG

DSCN4264.JPG

Once the black had had some time to flash, I went right back and shot the clear. I still have mixed feelings about clear coating. It does offer some further protection against scuffs and scrapes but it is un-merciful about showing imperfections. The dark blurry spots that seem to be present are actually my reflection; the best angles I had for the shots still wouldn't let me shoot without the panel trying to act like a mirror of sorts.

At this point, this panel is done and,after a day or two of drying time, it's next stop is back to the duct for install. Then I can hang the headlight sub-structures to see how it all lines up. These headlight parts are NOS. new old stock that I bought many years ago when I first dismantled the front fascia and discovered all the damage, including the fact that both the headlight support structures had been cracked and snapped beyond all hope of repair.

For them, once I bought the new supports, I had to do some serious pile diving and visit multiple cars to locate and remove enough good buckets and light rims as well as the springs and trim ring screws and find the headlight adjusters as they were snafu/collateral damage. For them, I think I went new but had a hard time locating the correct part number and application. The catalogues and parts books were woefully vague on part number specifics, and the pictures and diagrams resembled the art work of an apprentice monk from the dark ages.

The next big project is, of course, the front endura bumper cover. It needs to be stripped of that hideous refrigerator white paint that somone went to Maaco for. Stuff is everywhere except where it will do the most good. I did find the original burgundy/claret color under all the multiple coats so that made me happy. It will be a variant of that color, that I have already had the Paint Shop formulate for me, that will get appliedas time and budget allow. I still have the passenger side to deal with so paint is sometime whenever down the road in the work schedule.

Nick

Reactions: 3 users
you use a semi-gloss/flat clear it'll show less imperfections and still provide the protection you're after..

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor