Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm delving into the world of "bodywork".... Donovan II sytle....haha. No. Actually skip that. This will not even be close. I'm no body man.

But my project is something that I believe has not been done before to my brand new Denali.

For one, Sierras have a new location for the 2019 and 2020 for the emblem placement on the front door. There's a body break line that kinda protrudes out. And the body line goes right along with the door emblem. More than I like. I really looks like it would line up well with a Ford Pinto or some other POS door when some asswipe swings it wide and right into that sharp body line. Invariably destroying the paint and dinking the creaseline, which isn't what I'd consider a PDR.

2019/20 Sierra does not have any option for body side molding.

You can see the issue along the lower doors...not a fan of that big ole exposed sharp crease.
lower door body break line.JPG

I have no really good place to move the emblem, so the next best thing is to use body side molding that is for 2016-2018 Sierra. It's body colored, and no body color was dark sky metallic back then, so I'll have to repaint whatever it is to match, but it's about the same height as the door emblem. Once I paint it to match (hopefully) it'll blend enough to not look out of place, but obviously to use the front door molding I'll have to section it. I like the design because it's very plain and simple. Plus it's GM parts, so I like that part. My hope is to prevent door dings while also passing off the idea that those body side moldings could be one of those things that the untrained eye would think...hmmm, are those factory installed?

It's interesting because I found a crew cab pre-painted molding kit in white on a screaming deal on fleabay. Normally the GM molding package cost $150. I got this for about 1/2 price because the guy got the moldings then decided to go with chrome moldings. Still brand new in the box. There's enough chrome on the Denali as it is. Besides, with having to section these, I'm going to have to break out my mad body work skills (which are NONE).

I couldn't just cut these off because they're molded and cutting them leaves you with an unfinished end that would look like this:
Cut body side molding.JPG

So to get the front door moldings to even come close to looking decent, and still retain the door emblems, I had to reduce their size accordingly so that the molding to rear of the front door would be about 1.5" and still retain the correct end to make the molding flush to the door when installed. The 2018 rear crew cab doors are a tad shorter than the 2019/20 doors, so the rear molding will be left alone but also will come about 1.5" from the edges of the doors.

I used my chop saw with a cutting blade made for plastics to make the cuts. I was worried, but very pleased with the outcome of the cuts. Now it's just a matter of whipping out the JB Weld plastic bonding resin and sanding, priming and painting.

When it's done, maybe I can not worry so much if some POS Pinto parks nearby. I hate door dings.

The top two are the sectioned front door pieces. Total length is now 19". The bottom piece is the length of material of the original that needed cutting out.
Front door moldings.JPG

Here's where the cuts meet back up. I just sorta taped them up to get an idea, but they match up very well and will be a matter of epoxy, sanding, priming and painting to make them look like one again.
front door molding cuts.JPG

We'll see how this goes....

Reactions: 5 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Not mine, but a friend of my son's 9 sec WS6. Hood was peeling the clear coat off. I prepped and my son painted. It's ready for an Alberta (Donovan) style sand and buff.

The young man that owns it is really happy, especially for the price of letting me borrow his trailer :) :)

IMG_2649.JPG IMG_2650.JPG IMG_2651.JPG IMG_2652.JPG IMG_2654.JPG IMG_2655.JPG IMG_2656.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Forgot to add the pic of my 'ace in the hole' assistant

Attachments

• IMG_2648[1].JPG
    IMG_2648[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
  • Haha

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Not mine, but a friend of my son's 9 sec WS6. Hood was peeling the clear coat off. I prepped and my son painted. It's ready for an Alberta (Donovan) style sand and buff.

The young man that owns it is really happy, especially for the price of letting me borrow his trailer :) :)

View attachment 151403 View attachment 151404 View attachment 151405 View attachment 151406 View attachment 151407 View attachment 151408 View attachment 151409
Is he color blind? That doesn't match at all- way too dark!

• Haha
  • Happy
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor