Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN2928.JPG
DSCN2930.JPG

So what you are seeing here are the engines of modification that I used to complete my latest entry on my 5.3 to do list From left to right you see my 4-1/2" DeWalt mini grinder, My Ultrapro in line air motor, fitted with a mini wire wheel, samples of after and before, or the consequences to a 3" zip wheel when it feeds on cast steel and my 3" cut off air motor.

DSCN2931.JPG

The victim of all this aggression. This is the passenger's side exhaust manifold that came with the 5.3 as part of the purchase. Visible in the picture is the circumferential crack in the main tube between 3 and 4, moving from right to left. That crack extends around the circumference for about 300 out of 360 degrees and it is likely that it is only the upper flange that is keeping both sections together. This was the part that was the subject of a repair/replace discussion a while back. Replace won.

DSCN2932.JPG

DSCN2933.JPG

So the clunker became a guinea pig. The first exploration done was to see if the EGR boss, present but not machined or drilled and tapped, was still hollow or just a lump of extraneous metal that could be safely shaved off. As the pictures show, it is still hollow. That aside however, it is still possible to shave down the flange itself at least as far as the raw surface of the casting, which is what I ended up doing with its replacement There are NO pictures of the modified manifolds at this point, because, I still have to get in between the tubes and shave down the casting flash that is there. It might be a job for...........El Dre-mel.

DSCN2934.JPG

And last, this is a before and after shot of what I was hoping to accomplish. On the left is the raw boss that was included as part of the casting and meant to accept a screw that would hold the heat guard in place. In total, there are 6 of these little bosses located in various places on the casting as a whole. As you would expect, the screws are toast. i did persuade a number of them to allow themselves to be removed but had to face about as many holdouts who tended to commit suicide by round over. Not sure why, the scrap of sheet metal they were supposed to hold in place had long since rotted out around them and only took a few minutes to rip off and religate to the metal recycle bin.

So the question became, can I shave off these bosses since I can't use them, and really don't want to, or would I be doomed to failure due to the tubes being too thin that any metal getting removed would blow open a hole?

The after shot on the right says it all. Using the 3" air cut-off tool and micro thin cut off wheels I was able to get in close and personal and cut away about 50-75 percent of each boss, leaving a stump to still be dealt with. By gently shaving down the stumps with my 4.5 and a 40 flap wheel I could both remove the remaining material and reshape the contour of what remained at the same time. This let me blend everything to achieve what you see on the right side tube. I killed two of the 40 gr flap wheels doing it but they were both used and about used up so no new wheels were harmed in achieving my goal. Remember all this got done to the test mule, just so I could learn whether or not I could it with the two manifolds I planned to use for real.

As I pointed out in a previous thread, none of this is about performance. This exercise is about esthetics from beginning to end. It is about learning how far i could go and how much I could remove from the stock casting to get a result that looks more polished and finished to the eye, plus being easier to work with and lighter as an additional result. if I wanted performance, I have several suggestions in hand from various participants from hereabouts. Right now I am back in a buy vs build situation and, with winter coming on, have to resort my priorities over and over in the coming weeks to get as ready as possible just in case this world's populations go into lemming mode again. Bother.

As I said above, the pair that I am going to use still need to go through having their casting flash removed, particularly in some tight and nasty places. Method for this as yet to be decided.

Unlike most of my picture shows, this one is different in one major respect:

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!, DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!

Okay, Attention grabber time. What I did with these manifolds involves both rust and metal dust, wire wheel shrapnel, cutoff wheel dust and aggregate, and inherent sharp metal edges. This is NOT a tee shirt and shorts exercise. For what I did, I used a heavy welding coat for body protection, a full dust mask, full face mask, my D'veetos instead of my regular prescription glasses, full audio cans or sound mufflers instead of just ear plugs, and heavy leather gloves from the welding deck. In addition, I elected to do this job with the main door open and the vise out on the approach ramp, with the breeze blowing away from me.

The point here is/was to keep the dust and debris from coming at me as much as possible because, while this isn't P65 territory, the inhalation of rust or metallics can tear up your lungs, (think COPD here), if done over time. The shrapnel generated by the cutting and grinding can cause injury. Obviously, to maintain control of air driven tools in tight quarters you have to be up close and personal with the tool; thus the need for the full dust mask. Mine is a 3M product and no, I am not flogging their products here. After I was done, I dug out the long tube air gun and blew out the bay from a distance; it all went outside onto the approach ramp and I blew that off into the weeds. For some reason they can tolerate that kind of debris; oh, the joys of being a persecuted herb.

Just saying here.

Nick

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Here is the promised pic of the crossmember that I had to fabricate for my Pinto project. This is before second paint coating. View attachment 183455

As can be seen, this crossmember is not symmetrical. The shorter ends are the passenger side, longer ends driver side. The bottom of the trans has a tilted attachment point, so as I fabricated this, I did it one cut/bend at a time for the first side rail, then copied it for the second rail. When I was ready to measure/cut pieces for the cross width, I marked where to trim the side rail portions to fit the roundness of the rubber mount. I welded the trimmed out pieces to the outside of the rail for additional strength across from driver to passenger side. To say I was happy it fit well on the first build would be an understatement. I had purchased material, and was fully expecting to build a second, or even a third unit before having a correct fit.
This is a cool project. Please keep us posted.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Whelp, it wasn't a mechanical project in the traditional sense, but mom is still with us and today was her birthday. I ordered a half dozen lobsters from the fisherman's co-op where I used to live in rhode island, and a slight bit of fedex drama later, they arrived alive and kick...err...pinching.

20210909_172436.jpg

She really seemed to enjoy it, most she's eaten in a long time - actually even polished a whole lobster off by herself. I also think it's been about 7 years or so since she's had fresh/real lobster. Down in Georgia most places only have pieces/tails/precooked or whatever, and I think her last trip up north was around 2014 or so.

There's something so much better - and sweeter - with eating them less than 24 hours after they came out of the trap. Anyone in the lower 48 with a craving who wants to support the fleet directly I'd be happy to put you in touch.

20210909_165811.jpg

• Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Fresh!! Lobster. Most I have seen locally is the tail meat and usually frozen to a slab of poly-styrene foam. More food value to the foam. Local prices are beyond obscene.

If you have the opportunity, every opportunity you get or make, give your mother a hug for absolutely no reason at all, as often as you can.

For myself, I can't do that anymore, Mom passed 11 years ago this past June.

Nick

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Fresh!! Lobster. Most I have seen locally is the tail meat and usually frozen to a slab of poly-styrene foam. More food value to the foam. Local prices are beyond obscene.

If you have the opportunity, every opportunity you get or make, give your mother a hug for absolutely no reason at all, as often as you can.

For myself, I can't do that anymore, Mom passed 11 years ago this past June.

Nick
Nick, we purposely relocated down to the coast to be nearby. She was diagnosed with IPF around 5 yrs ago after having had symptoms maybe 2 years before that. Doc put her onto an esbriet trial. Statistics say she shouldn't even be with us, but, longevity runs on both sides of the family, even better with the ladies than the men folk - my grandmothers and 4 of 5 great aunts all crossed 100yrs and both great grandmithers did the same. Works out we can do errands/shopping/Dr trips when needed too. Our goal is to stick it out here as long as she's around, she's not interested in relocating anywhere colder with us... But I digress.

We just take a day at a time and make the most of what we can. Locally we only get the same lobster tails, and scrawny at that. So the real things were quite a hit!

Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
20210910_154040.jpg

Had to go outside and harvest the tree for dinner. Had both hot and cold style sammiches

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Huh. A variety of palm tree that apparently also offers a crop of lobsters. What's it called, the Lobster Palm??? Okay then, do you get coconut meat and milk to go with your lobster tails and claws?

Nick

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Enjoy your time with them ! My grandma used to tell me that the rich kids ate peanut butter and the poor kids ate lobster when she was growing up ( and she had to eat a lot of lobster n taters growing up ). Grandma Rose lived to be 103, and her older sister was very concerned about her children when she passed LOL. Annie ending up living to be 109. Nothing wrong with a good feast every now and again. Esp with the elder generation. Food is such a tying bind with family

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Sammiches? c/w hot, freshly melted butter loaded with garlic powder and liberally slathered on a sausage bun? Why sausage bun? because, although they are slightly shorter, they are wider than a hotdog bun; = more room for the contents!!

On my part, instead of uselessly drooling all over myself and wondering if it would be worth the hassle to visit the local supplier, y'know, jic he happened to have a couple of lobster orphans that needed at good home (Inside my stomach), I elected to tweak a couple of the parameters that I had long ago loaded to the onboard computer for the FI. Way back when I had had major issues with fuel starvation and stall during sudden or panic stops, i had elected to Zero out certain inputs, things like the IAC timing and the TPS got set to zero and left that way. I had also defaulted the warm up fuel percentages to zero as well. Having them inoperative didn't really matter because the idle screw for the throttle plates had been left at the factory setting and that apparently had caused too much of the idle bypass to become exposed. ODTAA.

Now, with the idle stop pulled back, the plates had found their correct location and the idle circuit had started to work like it should. Which consequently led my thinking to all those settings that I had either minimized as low as possible or zeroed out altogether.

So today was test and tune part A? B? C? D? E? (AWDFK?) Say the latest in the ongoing saga. Did all this while the unit was warming up and then went for a short hop to the Supply Shop. Everything seemed happy and responsive; will have to wait and see how it reacts to an early start up.

Vintage and Classic parts swap meet tomorrow starting just after Blue Light EST. Not a buyer normally but have acquaintenances that are active in the genre. Also a good opportunity to maybe get a decent hamburger for breakfast. Now if I had some lobster, I could coarse chop it and add in just a little bit of fine crumbled whole wheat, fine chopped scallions, and an egg for the binder and have a lobster burger!!

Nick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor