What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Thanks for the tip, but too late now unfortunately. It’s on it’s way to Ontario.

Apparently according to him, the radio worked when he removed it, however he failed to label anything when he took it apart. There were 4 spots for wires on the back, plus 2 long leads that I initially thought were speaker wires. 2 of the spots were available spades on what I assumed to be a coil, a lead for +12 volts, and one other I have absolutely no idea what it would be for.

The car side wasn’t any help either, we had 3 leftover wires all without power (switched or not), and nothing labeled or anything that would make any sense.
🤷🏼‍♂️
Ah, well there are some guys here too who can fix it. Mostly around I’d say the Greater Toronto Area.

But yeah, I wouldn’t start applying +12V DC without a diagram of wires or at least a schematic haha.

That said, vehicle looks good otherwise. Well done :)

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Roughly 25 hours but it's done. Rear Main on the Rainier is changed. I thought about abandoning it but I didn't want to be defeated and said F it and kept going.

I didn't work super hard the whole time and broke it into 4 days.

The torque converter bolt access is almost zero on these v8 gmt360's, and besides getting the Tcase vent hose stuck in between the trans and block and having to pull the trans back out it wasn't as bad as the first day.

Cut a cat open to get the last of the catalyst out because they used to rattle really bad and nobody was home. Guess 275k on cats and they disappear lol.

Also was due for a Tcase oil change and trans fluid change, fixed a slight exhaust leak and fixed some loose heat shields that corroded around the bolts.

So no, it's not worth spending 25hrs to change the rear main on a 275k Rainier but it's done. Should get the thing through one last winter and hopefully newer inventory will come down in price and selection will increase.

If I make it to 278k I will have put 100k on it so I got my money out of it.

IMG_20211001_090332.jpg
IMG_20211001_121724.jpg

• Winner
  • Indifferent
Reactions: 6 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Smart man chopping the top of that kitty. Did you do a rear main seal retainer plate gasket too? I did all that on my C5Z. Some of them had porosity issues with the cover plates, so I had to narrow it down as far as I could. 1 of the 2 things I replaced did the trick for me, no porosity issues here.

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Smart man chopping the top of that kitty. Did you do a rear main seal retainer plate gasket too? I did all that on my C5Z. Some of them had porosity issues with the cover plates, so I had to narrow it down as far as I could. 1 of the 2 things I replaced did the trick for me, no porosity issues here.

Yeah I did the seal and the plate gasket. I think the kit is under $20 at rock.

Hopefully it solves the problem. Too much work to try to fix it again lol...

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Popped open the main door, pulled out the 350E, sitting on its dolly, out onto the ramp, and gave it a serious scrubbing, used a whole bottle of Simple Green and then rinsed it off. it is going down the road to another owner as fast as he is able to come and get it. Proceeds from that plus the 9" plus some stash money equals the payment for my new door skin........now if the yard would just call and say that it is in.......................

Finished the transmission and then dug out the portable vise and went at a 74 year old motorcycle hub with the air drill and a wire wheel. Got that about 95% stripped of its existing paint and called it; my arms and shoulders are definitely going to hate me tonight.

Put that away and dug out the lawnmower and had at the lawn. The section that I had replaced the top soil in and reseeded is on its own 5 day cycle and I have to wait for the rest of the lawn to catch up. Hope it survives the winter.

Nick

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Two large shipments of brakes came in late today.

jack nicholson joker GIF

This job was a royal PITA to do handraulically. Damn rear caliper brackets are torqued to 148ft/lbs and red Loctited...

PXL_20211005_013143995.MP.jpg

Having a well lit garage with a lift and an air compressor sure would have been handy... a guy can dream.

The Colorado is next.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
sold the t bird for 2k
guy drove it home. around my age.

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Two large shipments of brakes came in late today.

jack nicholson joker GIF

This job was a royal PITA to do handraulically. Damn rear caliper brackets are torqued to 148ft/lbs and red Loctited...

View attachment 184996

Having a well lit garage with a lift and an air compressor sure would have been handy... a guy can dream.

The Colorado is next.

Cheese and rice. The wife's Envoy was easy peasy. You sure rust wasn't a contributing factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor