Found out how old my truck tires are.
3rd week of Feb. 2010 if im right. they old
IMG_20210930_185118604.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
That or 7th week of 2010, same same. Look like some may/will pops.
Yokohama Geolandar
They aren't terrible and still have a lot of tread left but with a only legger pickup in winter they might as well be bald.
Plus the fact I now know they're nearly 12 years old.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yesterday, but finally got the elderly neighbor’s old ‘57 Poncho finished reassembled and running. Just in time too, because it leaves on the transport truck at noon today.

It’s been a real headache, nothing like trying to reassemble a 50’s era car with zero information and Robertson wood screws because he took it all apart 20 years ago and lost all the original hardware. I troubleshot and repaired everything from heater cables to rehanging and aligning the driver’s door, to straightening rear bumper brackets with a 10lb sledgehammer and drilling and tapping holes in the floor for the front seat.

Diagnosed and fixed his no reverse light issue (cut wires under the back seat and a neutral safety switch out of alignment), to dome light working on 3 doors but not the 4th as well as no left turn signal at the rear (bad grounds).

It’s low on transmission fluid and the fuel pump is leaking gas like the Exxon Valdez, but it should still be enough to get it on the transport under it’s own power.

2DDBB169-5CC0-4883-8EC5-04327D081966.jpeg

E8F43C69-4382-47D6-BA18-37C0304543CA.jpeg

54344B0C-4FD6-47A9-8D93-451BDEE13769.jpeg

The trim inside 50’s era cars is REDONKULOUS, absolutely everything has some sort of trim on it. From windshield garnish mouldings to seat bases and everything in between. I’m pleased to report tho, that I got everything working, from all the gauges right down to the tiny individual lights in the dual ashtrays and gauges. Only thing I couldn’t figure out was the damn radio. Those things are a lot different than the ones we know now.

1012C05C-9F2B-4D9E-96B9-D8EDDBA6A950.jpeg

7236AAF1-031A-47FF-AF52-09DD2E6B7718.jpeg

4F33F43E-1D1C-4496-AC61-B7AD12C9B331.jpeg

243A6F69-A10E-43A6-97AF-D9B3FF09B2BD.jpeg

Here’s the heart of the beast, a mighty 246ci inline six with a Rochester one-barrel. Still runs like a top tho.

F6288A8E-8C61-4CBC-A90D-F6781ECCD084.jpeg

It’s been quite the undertaking to get it done in such a short time frame, I’m not sure I’m gonna miss it being around, but it’s certainly been an adventure.

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
That radio was probably the finest piece of AM radio oriented technology that GM-Delco could create at the time. Your problem is that AM radio is the floppy disk of its time. At the very least obsolescent, still in use somewhere, but mostly obsolete unless you are a purest restorer; and I think that most of them hide the mp3 player behind a kick panel in the trunk, gotta keep up appearances. Thing here is that there are actually sources who recreate moden audio technology to exactly resemble how it physically looked in the 50's So you get all that WiFi, Bluetooth, mpeg, mp3, i-pad, i-phone, WTF ever baubles and trinkets that you want in sound but it all sits there in the dash and looks like your Grandpa's old school techno-saur, complete to the 1/2 dozen channels of either Country and Western, (BLEAH!!!!) or ????

Of course the future of that radio gets to fall into the hands of next mechano-savant who gets to play with it, (Or you will hear a knock at the door some evening after supper and find a ro-ro sitting in the drive way, and your personal version of Christine has come back to haunt you because it wants its radio fixed, sitting on it) .

Either way, very nice job and I like that color. Four Door Hard Top??

Nick

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Yesterday, but finally got the elderly neighbor’s old ‘57 Poncho finished reassembled and running. Just in time too, because it leaves on the transport truck at noon today.

It’s been a real headache, nothing like trying to reassemble a 50’s era car with zero information and Robertson wood screws because he took it all apart 20 years ago and lost all the original hardware. I troubleshot and repaired everything from heater cables to rehanging and aligning the driver’s door, to straightening rear bumper brackets with a 10lb sledgehammer and drilling and tapping holes in the floor for the front seat.

Diagnosed and fixed his no reverse light issue (cut wires under the back seat and a neutral safety switch out of alignment), to dome light working on 3 doors but not the 4th as well as no left turn signal at the rear (bad grounds).

It’s low on transmission fluid and the fuel pump is leaking gas like the Exxon Valdez, but it should still be enough to get it on the transport under it’s own power.

View attachment 184897

View attachment 184898

View attachment 184899

The trim inside 50’s era cars is REDONKULOUS, absolutely everything has some sort of trim on it. From windshield garnish mouldings to seat bases and everything in between. I’m pleased to report tho, that I got everything working, from all the gauges right down to the tiny individual lights in the dual ashtrays and gauges. Only thing I couldn’t figure out was the damn radio. Those things are a lot different than the ones we know now.

View attachment 184893

View attachment 184894

View attachment 184895

View attachment 184896

Here’s the heart of the beast, a mighty 246ci inline six with a Rochester one-barrel. Still runs like a top tho.

View attachment 184892

It’s been quite the undertaking to get it done in such a short time frame, I’m not sure I’m gonna miss it being around, but it’s certainly been an adventure.
Cool project, and good of you to help the old man. I'd love to own that car. What a time capsule!

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Man that's a lot of work.

My wife would've gotten a $1 oil pan from dollar tree to park over and be done with it.
Free carboard from work...I prefer the double-wall stuff. When it gets soaked, replace with more of the same. We dispose of an obscene amount of cardboard daily....

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

View attachment 184897

View attachment 184898

View attachment 184899

View attachment 184893

View attachment 184894

View attachment 184895

View attachment 184896

View attachment 184892

Quoting myself here, because apparently the saga wasn’t finished yet. Got a panicked call from him at 9:30 this morning, the transport driver wasn’t going to take the car if it was leaking fuel. (Understandably so).

He had a fuel pump that he had bought at a swap meet several years ago that he wanted me to swap out at the last minute, oh and the transport was scheduled to arrive earlier than he was told. Hour and a half to get it changed out, alright let’s go.

Fuel pump was similar, but not identical. Return style, with 2 additional ports that weren’t needed. Plug those off with rubber vacuum caps and hose clamps, install the pump with longer bolts because it was thicker, prime the carb, hit the key and hope for the best. SUCCESS! Purrs like a kitten and no more leaking.

I got to pull it out of his garage and around the front of his house where we had the other car that was leaving waiting, the 1928 Essex. The Essex is another beast entirely, I didn’t have too much to do with it TBH. Gorgeous car tho, and by far my favourite of the 3.

Anyways, some pics of them getting ready to go and loaded up. I also got to drive the Pontiac up onto and into the transport which was pretty cool all in itself.

05B3C42A-9C8B-43D0-B7F7-2609896BF6C3.jpeg

15AF4981-16A8-4A5A-822A-C99F2A3E123B.jpeg

11BE31AF-C1B3-424E-AC66-64F2EA897B82.jpeg

F044781D-CF5A-43B5-A896-AC92211C2442.jpeg

9EFE6901-EB93-4107-836E-D35DF08EFB49.jpeg

E5723920-3C53-42E6-B33C-CD6F860C5720.jpeg

CA951051-59D3-4426-A72F-6787825F9EA7.jpeg

4C4F52AA-7B96-4FF3-B3B1-556762F3CAA2.jpeg

FE4C7877-BE0A-49F3-98DF-207BD4B91A3F.jpeg

3FBFAEA3-06FA-4676-B2B8-144FD427B7F2.jpeg

The neighbor now needs a couple days to get my spot in his garage cleaned up, then Olds Cool will be moved over to its new home for the winter.
Then it’s finally back onto The Juggernaut!!!

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020

View attachment 184897

View attachment 184898

View attachment 184899

View attachment 184893

View attachment 184894

View attachment 184895

View attachment 184896

View attachment 184892

That radio was probably the finest piece of AM radio oriented technology that GM-Delco could create at the time. Your problem is that AM radio is the floppy disk of its time. At the very least obsolescent, still in use somewhere, but mostly obsolete unless you are a purest restorer; and I think that most of them hide the mp3 player behind a kick panel in the trunk, gotta keep up appearances. Thing here is that there are actually sources who recreate moden audio technology to exactly resemble how it physically looked in the 50's So you get all that WiFi, Bluetooth, mpeg, mp3, i-pad, i-phone, WTF ever baubles and trinkets that you want in sound but it all sits there in the dash and looks like your Grandpa's old school techno-saur, complete to the 1/2 dozen channels of either Country and Western, (BLEAH!!!!) or ????

Of course the future of that radio gets to fall into the hands of next mechano-savant who gets to play with it, (Or you will hear a knock at the door some evening after supper and find a ro-ro sitting in the drive way, and your personal version of Christine has come back to haunt you because it wants its radio fixed, sitting on it) .

Either way, very nice job and I like that color. Four Door Hard Top??

Nick
The radio probably needs new capacitors and solder joints repaired at the very least, but being it’s 50’s I’m gonna say its probably a vacuum tube that needs replacing.

There are some guys still around, (mostly retired) that deal with radio equipment that old. I actually know a guy out in Edmonton who ran a radio repair business out of his house for over 30+ years, that specializes in older equipment, if Rktpwrd is interested.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The radio probably needs new capacitors and solder joints repaired at the very least, but being it’s 50’s I’m gonna say its probably a vacuum tube that needs replacing.

There are some guys still around, (mostly retired) that deal with radio equipment that old. I actually know a guy out in Edmonton who ran a radio repair business out of his house for over 30+ years, that specializes in older equipment, if Rktpwrd is interested.

Thanks for the tip, but too late now unfortunately. It’s on it’s way to Ontario.

Apparently according to him, the radio worked when he removed it, however he failed to label anything when he took it apart. There were 4 spots for wires on the back, plus 2 long leads that I initially thought were speaker wires. 2 of the spots were available spades on what I assumed to be a coil, a lead for +12 volts, and one other I have absolutely no idea what it would be for.

The car side wasn’t any help either, we had 3 leftover wires all without power (switched or not), and nothing labeled or anything that would make any sense.
🤷🏼‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor