What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Useful link. If you have a wagon, they have fuel tanks.
Some of their stuff isn't that much cheaper than what you can find elsewhere. Of all places I've found Amazon a good source for spectrum premium fuel tanks, sometimes with free prime shipping that makes an even bigger difference.

I've found damaged wood where water made rot set in and then other insects, especially ants, got into the rot and made some passages. Your stuff could be something similar.

Dude, it was probably ants. We have a couple of bad boards on the deck we lost to the sneaky little bastards.

Thanks for the heads up on this guys, that was probably the case. Those really rotten boards were beside the eavestrough downspout, and we do have ants (who doesn’t). I wasn’t aware ants could destroy wood like that. I can’t guarantee the eavestrough and/or the downspout weren’t leaking, so it’s a definite possibility. I’m seriously thinking of getting the continuous eavestroughing guys in to replace the front section on the house once I’m done here.

Odd that that those boards were essentially gone, yet the other ones right beside them were untouched.

FWIW: holley has some of their tunnel intakes and such on sale around 50% off.

Just because I don't believe in LS-whatevers doesn't mean I won't pass it on. It's in their clearance section....

DSCN2795.JPG

Project Whee-ler in all its most complete glory. The paving stones sitting beside it weight 80 lbs per. The plate is capable of accepting 4 of them on edge; equals 320 lbs.

DSCN2802.JPG

The completed paving stone deck. 8' x 8', 16 pavers @ 80 lbs per = 1280 lbs or a bit over a 1/2 ton of concrete, laid on a bed of crusher fines and levelled. one paver against another, at a time. The right side central row is the four originals from the first attempt at creating a deck. A massive frost a winter or so later blew them up and out of position so they ended up having to be re-laid as well. AT this point what I term Part One is done. Part Two will be to connect the deck to the sidewalk that runs the length of the garage; this time it is 18" x 18' tiles There is no rush for part two. it is getting on to be summer and the Monte is starting to sing that siren call of "Work on me while it is warm". it never quits.

DSCN2796.JPG

And my wheeler sits, waiting on the deck for some dremel attention. At this point what is left is pure cosmetics; cleaning and shaping and smoothing the welds for both looks and safety. The wheels are rated for 300 lbs of weight each so a combined rolling capacity of 600 lbs. Technically I could shift a small block casting with it. This is my primary tool for moving C-20 tanks for my MIG rig. it still needs a couple of loops for locating a cargo or ratchet strap but I will let the bottles determine where best the loops ought to be placed. Might still be one shot left; i did get the all the primping and polishing done today. I may just leave it raw and lay a coat of flat or matte clear on the tubes to seal up the pores and scratches and call it toast.

Nick

Saturday: cut down to the ground, and dug out the rootballs of more wild blackberry.
Before, and after.
20210529_133454.jpg

20210530_102127.jpg

Sunday: Been wanting to get started working on my old '74 Pinto. A family of Bewicks Wrens were nesting in the arm of my engine hoist, so I could not do anything until the babies fledged. I saw no activity on Saturday, but wanted to be sure they were gone before I repossessed their home. I disconnected all of the ancillary connections to the engine, sprayed PB Blaster on all of the bolts and nuts to the hard connections, and let them soak overnight.
20210530_093605.jpg

20210530_194406.jpg

20210530_194428.jpg

Memorial Monday: Broke loose and removed all of the bolts I sprayed with the PB Blaster, hooked my new load leveler to the hoist and pulled the engine/trans as a unit.
20210531_123918.jpg

20210531_130444.jpg

Engine is covered and stored in the carport alongside the other engine that will go into the Pinto.

Carpenter Ants. So called because they burrow into wood and destroy it. Might just be that the boards they skipped had some kind of preservative cooked into them at some point in their past.

To add insult to injury there are also species of wasps that attack and consume wood; converting it into paper for their hives. Vicious buggers. Had to battle them twice because they kept trying to nest above the main door. Took a bottle and a half of wasp killer and a garden hose on full boogie to knock them down and even then they still tried to defend the queen and the nest.

Nick

Carpenter Ants. So called because they burrow into wood and destroy it. Might just be that the boards they skipped had some kind of preservative cooked into them at some point in their past.

To add insult to injury there are also species of wasps that attack and consume wood; converting it into paper for their hives. Vicious buggers. Had to battle them twice because they kept trying to nest above the main door. Took a bottle and a half of wasp killer and a garden hose on full boogie to knock them down and even then they still tried to defend the queen and the nest.

Nick
When I was young and we found a nest of paperwasps, we used to wait until evening and then spray the nest with a thick coat of my mom's hair spray (with her blessing). When the hairspray dries, the wasps are suffocated. We would knock the entire nest down a day or so later.

One of my locomotives, a old Aristo Craft RS3 diesel developed a weird issue today. It kept slowing down to a near stop in a couple of spots. First I thought it was track conductivity issues, cleaned the hell out of the rails, even took the track clamps apart for cleaning, even cleaned the loco's wheels. After no improvement I tried another loco, a last generation Ariso Craft FA1 cab diesel and it ran around fine without stalling. Gotta open up the RS3 and see if I can find the problem, I suspect a splt drive gear spinning on its axle. Sadly Aristo is out of business so getting parts is tricky. Bachmann makes repro complete motor blocks but hopefully its not that bad.

One of my locomotives, a old Aristo Craft RS3 diesel developed a weird issue today. It kept slowing down to a near stop in a couple of spots. First I thought it was track conductivity issues, cleaned the hell out of the rails, even took the track clamps apart for cleaning, even cleaned the loco's wheels. After no improvement I tried another loco, a last generation Ariso Craft FA1 cab diesel and it ran around fine without stalling. Gotta open up the RS3 and see if I can find the problem, I suspect a splt drive gear spinning on its axle. Sadly Aristo is out of business so getting parts is tricky. Bachmann makes repro complete motor blocks but hopefully its not that bad.
Is that a garden railroad, or an indoor set?

Spent most of the weekend at the shop working on the Blazer so I didn't get the Monte done to be able to take out yesterday, which was probably a good thing because we had some very spirited driving out to this spot from Heinz Field. All the Blazer stuff I will stick in its thread
20210531_125517.jpg
20210531_125057.jpg
20210531_122452.jpg
20210531_122427.jpg
20210531_122347.jpg
20210531_122342.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor