What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Successful trip to the MAFCA National Convention 2022 hosted by the Alamo A's. The event lodging was @ the YO Ranch Resort in Kerrville TX. We got beat-up trying to thrash & have the cars ready because of setbacks (relying on others that didn't come through) but we rolled out last Sun @ 0730 for the trip. The Cabriolet was on the trailer but my buddy drove the 4dr Sedan. It has an updated inserted motor w/a early 80's Ford truck 4spd (3 + OD), a Stromberg carb, & pressurized cooling set-up. Made it the entire trip w/o any hiccups. Return speeds averaged >65mph. The Cabi is more of an in-town ride for now. Top down cruising in the heat of the day is No-Bueno & 70mph w/the 92yr old top up causes it to deteriorate rapidly so it gets towed until the lid is replaced ($$$$$).

Took a cool detour up into the hills where some houses were perched way to close to the edge for my comfort. Nice view from up there though so we popped off a few pics.....
Dad and I went to Kerrville like 5 or 7 years ago to buy a transmission. Beautiful area. I would have liked to have moved there but it's too expensive for us out west and too far away from Dad. Glad to see you guys had a successful trip. Those Model A's are cool.

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I fixed the MF'n GYP. After swapping rears, and that not fixing the snapping sound, I got the front end up in the air. All looked well. I grabbed a prybar and started pushing on stuff when I heard a click from the pass side front axle. As I rotated the wheel, and the U-joints came around, I saw one of the bearing cups was pushed out of the yoke. It took my 12 ton press to change the U-joints out and press in the new ones and here is this cup just sliding in and out. The intact C-clip resting in some grease. As it hit the steering knuckle it made the snapping sound. The axle could swing around about an inch and if the axle hit the knuckle it made the banging sound. Good thing I was only going slow because at speed this would not have been pretty. I pushed the cup in, put the C-clip back on, tested and the noise was GONE! So no way was I taking the whole damn thing apart to change a U-joint I just changed last year. Instead I dragged the MIG up from the basement and spot welded all eight bearing cups to the yoke so they CAN'T move again. And I made the spots tall so if they do move the welds will hit the knuckle and sound off before the cups hit. What a nightmare. Now I have to put the old rear back in but I will do the rear springs now that the rear is going to be out. I HATE GYPS!!!!!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Put the street tires and wheels back on the Hellcat. We took the wagon and got caught in a downpour - it was hydroplaning everywhere with all the standing water on the highway.

At least now we have tread... and traction control... and air bags.

Also, I put the interior back together. Because family car.

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Been trying to get this thing together the last few nights and it's really been kicking my *ss. 2 nights ago I redid the 1-6 hubs so they all have billet keys. There were some broken springs in there too, so got those all changed out and trans ready to go together. Go to put it together and bumped something or just didn't quite have it lined up properly and I couldn't get the alignment bolts in for the shift rails. Back apart it came, but by now the silicone was half dry. Smeared more on and zipped it back together, 1-4 gtg and called it a night. The next day the silicone job was bothering me, so I scattered it, cleaned it all up, and tried putting it right back together. Round 1, I cocked the housing, pinched the shift rails, and knocked both syncros into a gear at the same time. Round 2, nope and at this point silicone is starting to dry so wipe it all off and reapply. Round 3, nope re-redo the silicone. Round 4 or 5 was finally a yes so back where I started the day. This time though I kept the trans vertical when I zipped the bolts down in hopes it keeps the leaks away. 5/6/R wasn't bad until I tried rowing all 7 gears. 5/6 did not want to play ball at all so I left it, beyond pissed. Tonight I went for it again, just trying to row the gears, spin input/output, got it all the way into 5th but it had a lot of rotating resistance. After a couple of turns it freed right up and would grab 5/6 and it was actually coming out of 6th (broken Syncro key springs in this one, good otherwise). It was the new 4th blocker ring not releasing! I forgot new blockers did that even if you soak them overnight in ATF. So I'll slam this back in the car this weekend and it'll probably leak and I'll probably just live with that.

PXL_20220624_011030934.MP.jpg

After I get the cool suit figured out I think I'm bringing the Corvette in to fix its T56 while all these quirks and things that screwed me over are still fresh in the head.

Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Gas was down to $3.99/gallon, small victory that seems hollow. But nonetheless, did fill up the fleet at that price and used the branded card to get another 10 cents a gallon back.

A year ago I'd think you were nuts to say I'd be glad to fill up at a net 3.89/gallon but here we are.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Been trying to get this thing together the last few nights and it's really been kicking my *ss. 2 nights ago I redid the 1-6 hubs so they all have billet keys. There were some broken springs in there too, so got those all changed out and trans ready to go together. Go to put it together and bumped something or just didn't quite have it lined up properly and I couldn't get the alignment bolts in for the shift rails. Back apart it came, but by now the silicone was half dry. Smeared more on and zipped it back together, 1-4 gtg and called it a night. The next day the silicone job was bothering me, so I scattered it, cleaned it all up, and tried putting it right back together. Round 1, I cocked the housing, pinched the shift rails, and knocked both syncros into a gear at the same time. Round 2, nope and at this point silicone is starting to dry so wipe it all off and reapply. Round 3, nope re-redo the silicone. Round 4 or 5 was finally a yes so back where I started the day. This time though I kept the trans vertical when I zipped the bolts down in hopes it keeps the leaks away. 5/6/R wasn't bad until I tried rowing all 7 gears. 5/6 did not want to play ball at all so I left it, beyond pissed. Tonight I went for it again, just trying to row the gears, spin input/output, got it all the way into 5th but it had a lot of rotating resistance. After a couple of turns it freed right up and would grab 5/6 and it was actually coming out of 6th (broken Syncro key springs in this one, good otherwise). It was the new 4th blocker ring not releasing! I forgot new blockers did that even if you soak them overnight in ATF. So I'll slam this back in the car this weekend and it'll probably leak and I'll probably just live with that.

View attachment 201012

After I get the cool suit figured out I think I'm bringing the Corvette in to fix its T56 while all these quirks and things that screwed me over are still fresh in the head.
The old saying is if it goes together hard it usually works better than expected.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Gas was down to $3.99/gallon, small victory that seems hollow. But nonetheless, did fill up the fleet at that price and used the branded card to get another 10 cents a gallon back.

A year ago I'd think you were nuts to say I'd be glad to fill up at a net 3.89/gallon but here we are.
$4.89 here.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Congrats. We're about $5.25 here.
We're fortunate that our local govt chose to suspend the gas tax. This comes on the heels of them running a multi-billion budget surplus that pushed the rainy-day fund above the number of billions allowed under state law which meant extra income tax refunds that amounted to $550 for legally residing households only.

I wont get into the dreaded politics issue, but, our legislature also just passed and governor signed into law constitutional open carry for everyone.

Gives you an idea who controls the levers of power here. When the state legislature can drive gas prices down $2/gallon on their own, makes you wonder what they could do at the national level if the bums were kicked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor