What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

Local branch of My Napa has one coming in for me from Edmonton AB, of all strange places. Might have it on the counter for Friday? 6 plus CAD; about 4.5 USD.

Did manage to finish rebuilding my Accusump pre-oiler system, only this time went with a full manual on/off valve. Positive guarantee that the engine oil pressure is not trying to override the internal air pressure in the tank.

Just started on the wiring for the AFR gauge for my Van. Found a convenient grommet already situated in the firewall that could be adapted to accept the O-2 cable. The bung from the FI Tech Fiasco is still in the right head pipe with the old sensor in it so that should be a swap and dop with little to no melodrama. This is an Innovate Gauge and comes with a lot of extra harnesses to be able to plug into a laptop and adjust maps. Ironic because the only maps in my van are the ones for Minneapolis!!

Nick

Reactions: Texas82GP and Ugly1
Today was total non sequitur day for projects. Finally persuaded my basement water storage barrel to cooperate so I could install the new brass bodied stopcock in place of the cheap plastic guaranteed to break and piss water all over the basement floor OEM included with the install kit drain tap last night so today was standing water test day. Dumped 5 or so gallons of rain barrel water into the basement tank and there it sits. Dry floor tomorrow and more gets dumped in; test starts again. Absolute storage desired for this winter is +/- 30 gallons. The outside tank has 50 gal cap so about 60% total will get decanted and transferred. This is rain and free. It can't be consumed; not potable as is but can be used on the house plants which why I harvest and store it in the outside barrel.

The balance, about 15-20 gal or less, will get drained off and the barrel goes into storage for the winter. Empty so it doesn't freeze and crack.
DSCN3904.JPG

Genuine Made in Greece, of all strange places.

DSCN3905A.JPG

Close up/side shot of the brass stopcock post install. The small pail is part of the water test to catch any minor evidence that the valve is not doing its thing. Shot from the angle just gives the viewer a better overall appreciation of location and function. It is secured and retained internally by means of a 1/2 inch brass male NPT x fem pipe adapter, that was fitted with a one-off shop made flat copper backer washer. I know that because I made the washer on the drill press and cut the pipe threads to lace it to the pipe nipple myself. Hardest part was to get the two halves to play nice so I could screw the valve body onto the nipple threads and cinch it up. MPITA!! Why all the grunt work? Water out of the tap has to be paid for and around here it ain't cheap. Plus it has all those additives and chemicals the government wants dumped in it to "purify" it and make it "potable" This isn't for drinking, its for watering the plants, they like the rain version better because it is mostly chemical free so win-win all around.

And NO, I am not some kind of tree hugging enviro embracer. Just looking for ways to keep my meager income more in my pocket and less in the coffers of the bureaucraps.

Nick

Today was total non sequitur day for projects. Finally persuaded my basement water storage barrel to cooperate so I could install the new brass bodied stopcock in place of the cheap plastic guaranteed to break and piss water all over the basement floor OEM included with the install kit drain tap last night so today was standing water test day. Dumped 5 or so gallons of rain barrel water into the basement tank and there it sits. Dry floor tomorrow and more gets dumped in; test starts again. Absolute storage desired for this winter is +/- 30 gallons. The outside tank has 50 gal cap so about 60% total will get decanted and transferred. This is rain and free. It can't be consumed; not potable as is but can be used on the house plants which why I harvest and store it in the outside barrel.

The balance, about 15-20 gal or less, will get drained off and the barrel goes into storage for the winter. Empty so it doesn't freeze and crack.View attachment 229979

Genuine Made in Greece, of all strange places.

View attachment 229980

Close up/side shot of the brass stopcock post install. The small pail is part of the water test to catch any minor evidence that the valve is not doing its thing. Shot from the angle just gives the viewer a better overall appreciation of location and function. It is secured and retained internally by means of a 1/2 inch brass male NPT x fem pipe adapter, that was fitted with a one-off shop made flat copper backer washer. I know that because I made the washer on the drill press and cut the pipe threads to lace it to the pipe nipple myself. Hardest part was to get the two halves to play nice so I could screw the valve body onto the nipple threads and cinch it up. MPITA!! Why all the grunt work? Water out of the tap has to be paid for and around here it ain't cheap. Plus it has all those additives and chemicals the government wants dumped in it to "purify" it and make it "potable" This isn't for drinking, its for watering the plants, they like the rain version better because it is mostly chemical free so win-win all around.

And NO, I am not some kind of tree hugging enviro embracer. Just looking for ways to keep my meager income more in my pocket and less in the coffers of the bureaucraps.

Nick
Plus if you loose the water for whatever reasons they shut it off for repairs, you can at least still flush the toilet.

Reactions: Bonnewagon
With the white stuff a-comin' you just bring in a big ol pot of that from outside and melt it down, keep refilling the bathtub. Then all your washing, flushing, etc needs are covered. Can even boil it on the Woodstock for drinking.

Just avoid the yellow tinted white stuff

Don't aim at anything you don't intend to shoot and don't shoot at anything you don't intend to eat.

The second static load on the tank did not go well. Started to get bleed by around the stopcock. The possibility had always been there; just was hoping to avoid it as the cure is to drain the tank and dismantle the drain assembly.

Mark Two is already on the fab table. and just waiting on some brass nipples (insert appropriate joke or one liner here) to complete the BOM for the repair.

I did have to sacrifice some of the tank water; just as well as the holding tub really needed to be cleaned out before it could be filled again. I'll get some of that lost water back in the next day or so as the forecast is for wet.

FYI, the snow in the bucket works but 5 gallons of snow equals only about 1.5 gal of water. And most of the snow that will be falling around here is contaminated with ash and fallout from the fires so even if boiled, not really potable. The local population of snow addicts, aka snow-dicks are already up on their mountains, facing west and beating their skulls on the ground as an enouragement for the stuff to drop.

Meh, sez I, only 150 days left until Spring!!!!😆

Nick

• Haha
Reactions: Ugly1

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor