What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

Like a rock
20221126_153237.jpg

I had a GMT400. An 89 Regular cab/long bed Cheyenne. 2wd/305/700R4. Navy Blue with blue interior. I wish I still had it. It had a severe intermittent drivability problem that I lacked the knowledge, talent, money and equipment to overcome in 2005. I threw parts at it for a few months. I put it in a shop but they couldn't replicate the issue. I was working and going to college. I ended up giving in and trading it in. I still regret it.

A week late as usual but today was, finally, ROTATION DAY.

Finished off all the niggling details that needed doing on the S-10 and gave it a fast polish job to protect the paint. Spent about a day of work, over a four day span, injecting cavity wax into the frame and crossmembers on the S-10. Cost me four cans of the stuff which didn't come cheap.

Paid a quick visit into the rear brakes to inspect the shoes and give them a shot of compressed air to clean out the dust, then shot the whole assembly with Brake Cleaner and aired it out again. Bumped the star wheels up on the shoe adjusters to remove a little slack due to wear on the shoes and popped the drums back on. Had already racked my summer treads so on went the winters and all four corners got zeroed; my term for checking the air pressure in each tire and adding libbage as needed to bring them up to the recommended psi value.

So the pickup is back in the front car port and the van, my Non-G-Body, Gee-Body, is back in its default location, that being the infamous Bay One in my garage/shop/warehouse/twilight zone...........................

The van already has parts coming in for it. I have to replace most of the Canton Accusump system as it blew up in late June. I have an AFR gauge coming in as well so that I can fine tune the Edelbrock AVS. Gut feeling is that it is close to ideal as it is but part throttle tip in is less crisp than I think it ought to be so I want to take a peek at that if I can. It is also due for an oil change due to all the commuter start/go short distance driven that it had to endure. It was never meant to be a commuter toy, just a case of necessity driving the agenda.

AND OH YAAH, I found that MIA distributor rotor screw that bailed on me back in the summer during the work on the distributor!! It's final location was just beside one of the jack stands that had been placed under the rear end and the sunlgiht from the open main door caught it just right to betray where it had landed. How?Why?When? Dunno but feels great to be sure that it isn't hiding in the guts of the machine somewhere vital, just waiting to bounce out anc can havoc.

Nick

Reactions: Texas82GP
Have to ask rather than follow the whole thread. Did you get the Riv? I know of another one (1965?) in NH
I did not. Engine knock was scaring me but more importantly it had no title. Was a bit tougher than I felt like dealing with.

Reactions: Rktpwrd and Ugly1
I had to put the '68 convertible back in the garage for now. My oxygen welding hose popped, the replacement got lost by UPS, and now I am on the lookout for another. The hurricane that sat offshore for a week chased the fish away, so the Whaler has to come home for winterizing. I even had to stash the Bonnewagon at my Daughter's house just to have the room to operate. As soon as I can get the boat put away I can fix that hand brake that broke, change the oil on the Cobalts, swap the winter tires on the fleet, and maybe even get the welding done on the Bird before the snow flies. YIKES!!!

The local junkyard had a rear subframe from an Impala (same as my LaCrosse) already pulled so I grabbed it for $35. The one on my LaCrosse is really thin and rusty and when I lifted up the back end of the car last week to repair the fuel lines, it partially crushed in. So I took this one, cleaned it up with some spot blasting and brushed POR-15 on it. Looks pretty good and it's in much better shape than the one on the car. I ordered a 10 piece kit from 1A Auto that has new trailing arms, lateral links, and sway bar links that I'll install at the same time. Just doing what I can to keep it on the road.
20231010_200342.jpg
20231012_200540.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor