What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

Nice set of shots. If the frame bench says the work can be done, how much of the front suspension will you have to strip off to give them a clear shot at the affected areas and be able to do a clean pull on them? Heat and pull or do it cold? Add fish plates or box the repair to re-inforce it?

So just me doing small stuff. Had my new W174 internal circlip rings come in at Wajax so picked them up and did the swap on that Alloy rim assembly. You can feel the difference in the tension they have versus the old ones. Dropped the rim back on the bearing assembly stand, did some prep work on the bead with a Red Scuff pad and decided to visit it with a wire wheel on my drill. Noting heavy or prolonged in any one place, just enough to get to couple of places that concerned me and then back to it with some more Red Scuff. The idea is to clean the bead surfaces where the tire will sit but not polish them too smooth or the bead and the rubber won't talk to each other and achieve a good seal. Have that problem all ready with another wheel and not willing to repeat it.

Spent a lilttle time out in the shop and was able to lift the main door and start removing snow/ice from the entrance ramp. Did about half of it and then called it for the day. The stuff is heavy and getting it over the fence becomes a repetitve action that can cause back injury if not approached discretely. May finish the second half today if the weather cooperates.

Still have that door stop in the vise. Plan is to keep pounding the Deep Creep to it and then whacking the impact driver with a large hammer to see if those bolts will move. The metal frame for it is junk; it is the stop itself that is the prize. I could heat the metal but the stop is some kind of plastic component and therefore vulnerable to meltdown.

I do have the blanks for the Monte's new exhaust tips sitting on the drill press deck/welding table. Made them last summer but have still not found the time to size them for length and clip an end on each to a taper to match the old ones.

Ordered an ARP bolt kit for the new water pump for my Orphan LS. May be having to do that for MY S-10 as well only they would be exhaust manifold bolts. Not looking forward to that; the ones currently resident have never been touched to my knowledge and that makes them original with all the problems and issues that that state of affairs can possess.

This is a bit of a lost weekend for me, being Easter and all. A lot of the stores are in full Chocolate Bunny mode and therefore places to stay away from.

Nick

Nice set of shots. If the frame bench says the work can be done, how much of the front suspension will you have to strip off to give them a clear shot at the affected areas and be able to do a clean pull on them? Heat and pull or do it cold? Add fish plates or box the repair to re-inforce it?

All questions I wanted to ask yesterday, but the frame shop was closed by the time I got to that point. The frame has a crack in the offending area, maybe I'll burn that shut before I take it to them? I'm not sure how much they'll want to do, but that area of the frame was always going to be reinforced before a plow got hung because they love to crack there anyway. I'd just prefer to do it myself because I can and save the money on labor.

Might want to wait a minute on that crack. If the frame shop can work its magic as you hope then that crack might prove to be a stress relief point that needs to remain able to flex and move until the rest of frame gets sorted out and then you'd be able to throw fire and metal at it to close it up and add your re-inforcing plates.

Nick

Might want to wait a minute on that crack. If the frame shop can work its magic as you hope then that crack might prove to be a stress relief point that needs to remain able to flex and move until the rest of frame gets sorted out and then you'd be able to throw fire and metal at it to close it up and add your re-inforcing plates.

Nick

I'm not touching anything until I talk to them, no need to shoot myself in the foot here and if I do need to replace anything in the front, I'd rather do that before it goes to them than find out when they have it on the rack and won't let it off until it's been replaced.

Good Point. Avoiding "while we're at it, this has to be replaced as well" syndrome is always a goal to aspire to.

Nick

Reactions: melloelky
the gentleman that built my radio said i might be leaving some power on the table by having a standard sized fuse holder on the stock power cord.i found someone on ebay that makes nice upsized cords with the maxi fuse.it's looking like spring around here so I took advantage of it. 20230408_113010.jpg

Brought it home.
View attachment 218981
Meet Rudy.
03' Xtreme 71K Miles.
This was my Grandfather's truck. Only vehicle he factory ordered. My Grandmother's license expired in February and is no longer going to be driving.

Ill make a non g thread for it once I clean it up
May or may not be your cup-o-tea, but, keep that cap on it for as long as it'll be an outside truck. Really protects the bed.

Last edited:
Swapped the plow and chains for the mower deck on the tractor. Never got to use the plow... or the hydraulic angle I put on this year. Then took down the plum tree in the front yard. It was a nice tree but it was way overgrown and it split all the way through the trunk and was looking like hell. Think I'll probably put a flowering cherry tree there.
20230408_111449.jpg
20230408_120834.jpg
20230408_135743.jpg

Reactions: Cauterize
Swapped the plow and chains for the mower deck on the tractor. Never got to use the plow... or the hydraulic angle I put on this year. Then took down the plum tree in the front yard. It was a nice tree but it was way overgrown and it split all the way through the trunk and was looking like hell. Think I'll probably put a flowering cherry tree there.
View attachment 218984View attachment 218986View attachment 218987
At least there's a good amount of smoke wood in the limbs.

Gotta look at the up side.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor