What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Got it aligned and put new tires up front to move the other ones to the back, hoping it helps with the shakes it gets. We shall see
20230803_182412.jpg
20230803_191514.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Another fine(??) example of an s10/s15 to inspire CopperNick to err.... customize? his truck as he fixes rust...

Screenshot_20230805_045835_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230805_045841_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230805_045823_Chrome.jpg

• Sad
  • Scared
Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
WTF???? Thing looks like a three way between the butt end of a 32 Ford, the cab of an S-10/15, and the front sheet metal off someone's old riding tractor or Massey/Ford Farmall, with the front fenders thrown in just to confuse the issue. Best part of it is the paint!

Every so often a group of enthusiasts get together over coffee? and bench race, one of the themes being designs and theo-rectal builds. This looks like the consequence of one of those smoke and juice sessions, only the design ought to have been better left on the napkin.

Majority points for ingenuity; execution, not so much. The conversion of the pickup box into a turtle deck w/rumble seat is sort of neat and great outside-the-box thinking but again, the result falls short. Do not see any easy way of getting into that rumble seat unless you are a child between 8-12 and at those ages tweeners aren't necessarily thrilled by having their hair blown around. Looks like there are chains set in place to limit the travel of the deck lid and that makes access even more complicated. At a guess, the seats fold completely down in half in order for the lid to shut. Wonder what the builder used to lock the lid; be uncool to be booting down the highway and have the lid pop free.

Still it is a fate far better than that of a bush buggy, which what happened to a lot of 'em around here. Mine?? Well I wouldn't condemn it to E-Bay but would definitely revisit that Turtle Deck as well as the front end. Bringing/curving the box sponsons around to the back was a good idea. For myself I would have tried to bend or break sheet metal to match the sponson curves and fill in that blank spot where the license plate sits. There are kits available to create a frenched or recessed pocket for the plate; add that in as an additional design element. No real way to disguise those rear frame horns and the rear bumper is totally industrial, complete with tow ball so function over form.

For the lid, consider a pair of linear actuators tucked under the fenders and working a pair of bell cranks attached to the lid hinge.

As for the hood and front fascia. well the Farmall nose is neat but the hood? Well maybe some electrical conduit to use to create a shape that more closely matches the firewall/doors and curve of the nose and then take that hood and split it down the middle and then graft in some additional material.

It's not a Rat Rod in the traditional sense of the term but could be a serious head turner at a cruise night.

Nick

Nov 4, 2012
Took a trip to Michigan over the weekend to see the Nascar Cup race at Michigan International. Spent some time on Saturday in Detroit and saw a few sights. I've been to Detroit many times during my time truck driving but never got to look around during those trips. I went and visited the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant which was awesome and saw the infamous Fisher Body 21 Plant that is adjacent to it. I also drove past the old GM World HQ as well as Ford World HQ in Dearborn.
20230805_160028.jpg
20230805_161607.jpg

On Sunday the Nascar race got 75 laps in before it was postponed for rain. Still had a great time and got to see some good racing. First time I've ever been to a Nascar race. Definitely an awesome experience.
20230806_140123.jpg

20230806_144314.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Took a trip to Michigan over the weekend to see the Nascar Cup race at Michigan International. Spent some time on Saturday in Detroit and saw a few sights. I've been to Detroit many times during my time truck driving but never got to look around during those trips. I went and visited the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant which was awesome and saw the infamous Fisher Body 21 Plant that is adjacent to it. I also drove past the old GM World HQ as well as Ford World HQ in Dearborn.
View attachment 225932 View attachment 225930
On Sunday the Nascar race got 75 laps in before it was postponed for rain. Still had a great time and got to see some good racing. First time I've ever been to a Nascar race. Definitely an awesome experience.
View attachment 225933
View attachment 225934
And you made it out without being shot, stabbed, mugged, or ripped off?

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI
Cuz they're so much worse?
Short answer yes.

Long answer I have spent about half my life living in the Metro Detroit Region. I currently work a job that often takes me in to various parts of the city, and I occasionally go into the city for non work reasons as well. Yes, there are some areas that I wouldn't recommend going into for no reason. But by in large based on my own personal experience, if you are going in daylight (or stick to downtown proper), do not engage in stupid activities while there, and have generally good situational awareness you probably won't have any issues. It's still a big city with its share of problems, but Detroit's reputation exceeds the reality.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Rain. The perpetual enemy of racing unless you are a mud bogger. Bummer that you made it to the race and it rain checked after the first 75. I was watching it on TSN and they only made it to lap 105 before red-flagging it for the day. Was supposed to be resumed on Monday but the Sports channels are flakes and won't broadcast rain delayed races that get moved back a day.

Watched a Kount's Kustoms segment where Danny Koker visited Detroit for the Motorama and while there he stopped in at a house in one of the neighborhoods where he lived as a kid. Mostly boarded up and empty; a lot of suburban decay.

As you say, stay in the light and keep to the secure or safe areas. Closer to me but Minneapolis/St. Paul has also gotten nasty since the start of the third millenia and with no one left in the core to visit or hang with, I just don't go there anymore. Only ever visited the Mall of America once. Not an agoraphobe but just too big for me to be comfortable with.

Nick

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Short answer yes.

Long answer I have spent about half my life living in the Metro Detroit Region. I currently work a job that often takes me in to various parts of the city, and I occasionally go into the city for non work reasons as well. Yes, there are some areas that I wouldn't recommend going into for no reason. But by in large based on my own personal experience, if you are going in daylight (or stick to downtown proper), do not engage in stupid activities while there, and have generally good situational awareness you probably won't have any issues. It's still a big city with its share of problems, but Detroit's reputation exceeds the reality.
Having been to all 3, not to mention southern hellholes like atlanta and new orleans (the later two where i, unfortunately, lived about a decade), I'd say nothing you say about Detroit doesn't apply to the others.

And that doesn't make any of them 'good' in a general sense.

The biggest difference is the number of 'decent' or perhaps I ought to just say 'better' areas, and, the quickness of transition between them.

Of those, I'd say New Orleans and Detroit probably get you into more trouble, faster than the others, and that Atlanta and LA would have the most numerical square miles you best stay away from, although, it really takes you longer to wind up finding yourself in a really dangerous part of town in those as you wander away from a better one.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor