What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

Nov 4, 2012
Short answer yes.

Long answer I have spent about half my life living in the Metro Detroit Region. I currently work a job that often takes me in to various parts of the city, and I occasionally go into the city for non work reasons as well. Yes, there are some areas that I wouldn't recommend going into for no reason. But by in large based on my own personal experience, if you are going in daylight (or stick to downtown proper), do not engage in stupid activities while there, and have generally good situational awareness you probably won't have any issues. It's still a big city with its share of problems, but Detroit's reputation exceeds the reality.
I was hoping one of the Detroit residents on the forum might chime in with their thoughts on the current state of the city. I hate to come off as overly naive but I didn't feel Detroit was as bad as its reputation. I tried to check out some of the less-tourist-y areas on Saturday and from what I saw, it was really no worse than Pittsburgh and in many ways, better. There weren't homeless drug addicts accosting people for money or passed out on every bench and there was a noticeable police presence. Can't say that for downtown Pittsburgh right now.

I'm sure there's crime just like every big city, but no worse that any other. I used to park my truck and sleep overnight outside of US Steel GLW in Ecorse and I never had any issues.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
You guys want to see some fun stuff I know parts of Little Rock & Pine Bluff, AR, Montgomery, AL, and Jackson, MS, that you'll want to carry condition red and still get messed with. Been there done that I'll stay where I am out of that mess. Ammo is too expensive to waste.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Not much of a project, but, inherited one.

2023 Santa Fe SEL Platinum AWD with just about every option on it, and, under 500 miles on the odometer.

Now I need to find something at a dealer to trade it in on, with extra cash coming either way. Book values in the mid 30s on it.

Just not my cup of tea. Swaps better than selling outright as I can get a sales tax credit, but, either way will need to re-home it.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Starting to chip away on the van, did the wipers and the exhaust donut so it sounds less shitboxy. Luckily there was almost nothing left of the old one so wasn't hard to get out, actually popped out once I was able to get the other pipe down to get the new one on
20230810_173016.jpg
20230810_173022.jpg

Pc3

Master Mechanic
Nov 17, 2019
Nov 4, 2012
Way too humid and muggy to do any body work on the Skylark so I installed a leveling kit on my F-150 today. I've never liked how much rake it had. I ordered a Motofab brand 2.5" strut spacer. Billet aluminum, powdercoated, claims to be made in USA and included hardware is grade 10.9. Install was a bit of a PITA but nothing broke so I'm thankful for that. Truck sits just about perfectly level now. I'll need an alignment and I'd like to get some slightly larger tires. Pretty happy with the result though.
20230812_191517.jpg

20230812_180832.jpg

Best I have for "before and after" shots-
20210725_145935.jpg
20230812_192354.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Way too humid and muggy to do any body work on the Skylark so I installed a leveling kit on my F-150 today. I've never liked how much rake it had. I ordered a Motofab brand 2.5" strut spacer. Billet aluminum, powdercoated, claims to be made in USA and included hardware is grade 10.9. Install was a bit of a PITA but nothing broke so I'm thankful for that. Truck sits just about perfectly level now. I'll need an alignment and I'd like to get some slightly larger tires. Pretty happy with the result though.
View attachment 226128
View attachment 226127
Best I have for "before and after" shots-
View attachment 226130 View attachment 226129
looks good, but I'm wondering about that Made In USA statement. they sure need to work on their grammar printed on the box (state of the art, NOT, state of art)

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My driver side window on the 2005 Sunfire would not go all the way up. Worse, it sounded like it was gnashing teeth. I opened up the door , worked the switch, and the motor/regulator seemed OK, but still noisy. But once I removed the glass and took the motor/regulator out, I saw it. Someone had replaced the motor with a good NAPA new motor. But the cheesy little crapola screws that they replaced the rivets with- yikes. One broke, two others got loose, and the motor was pulling away from the regulator gear. That was the grinding sound. So I tightened the two remaining screws to locate the holes properly, then I drilled the holes out so I could use good strong 1/4-20 screws and nuts. That made a world of difference. I greased up the regulator and all the slides, and put it all back together. Now the window would go all the way up, but not all the way back down. WTF?!? Open it all up again, with the glass out, all is well, glass in, something is getting hung up on the rear of the door. I get in there with a mirror and flashlight and there it is. A plastic window channel at the end of the door up against the lock mechanism. The window missed it completely. Once I got the glass slipped into the channel, tightened it up to the regulator, now it works perfectly. Even the prior sluggish movement at the top of the travel was gone. Look at the pic, tiny small screw replaced with big 1/4-20 like it needed all along. IMG_0697.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I went to start my truck this morning to take it to work instead of driving my normal little car and it wouldn't start. Security system fully active so I'll have to figure that out. Maybe the little component in the column is dirty or the heat/humidity killed something..🙄

Truck.jpg

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Took the GTO to a bunch of shows over the weekend, the highlight was the Carnegie show which had a bunch of G bodies. But checking out one of the Cars N Coffee guys setups which was amazing, took a picture of a buddy who got the car stuck on the wall. Thought that was the worst you could do until one of our buddies daughters totally flipped her car
20230812_135144.jpg
20230812_134712.jpg
20230812_133122.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor