What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Can you do a relearn? Or is that too new? When I did a power train swap on another truck it turns out the VATS module on the truck was not getting along with the PCM. I bypassed the whole column resistor and added one that was within the range of the system, and did a relearn which consisted of starting the truck and letting it die. Let it sit with the key on 10 minutes, fire it again let it die and sit, and on the 3rd or 4th round it learned the new value and stayed running. Saved me $120 on credits so I didn't have to tune it out and sold that pig for moneys.
I know what you are talking about and this is the PASS III System, I know how to do the procedure because I've done it before. I just don't know exactly what resistor I need, on the key switch it may be written on it somewhere so I have to get it apart and see. I'm hoping to get the resistor in and the light turns off since it's on because there's a problem in the circuit. Keyless Entry works fine so I don't think its the BCM.

Given I put a Cam in and tuned the truck for that, PCM is unlocked to my stuff so fortunately it was just hook up and turn the VATS off and I'm able to drive it. The light will be a more involved process.

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I know what you are talking about and this is the PASS III System, I know how to do the procedure because I've done it before. I just don't know exactly what resistor I need, on the key switch it may be written on it somewhere so I have to get it apart and see. I'm hoping to get the resistor in and the light turns off since it's on because there's a problem in the circuit. Keyless Entry works fine so I don't think its the BCM.

Given I put a Cam in and tuned the truck for that, PCM is unlocked to my stuff so fortunately it was just hook up and turn the VATS off and I'm able to drive it. The light will be a more involved process.

The resistor is either in the tumbler, or the housing that the tumbler sits in. I know it sees the rotation of the cylinder, I guess it must be in there? I bought the wrong year cylinder for the plow truck and it angered the VATS, and the housing was hammered so I ordered a matching wrong year version of that too with the intent of 411 swapping it and killing VATS that way. Since mine's old and dumb there's no display to ding at me or BCM to piss off. Do you know anyone with a tech 2 or a clone? I think that'd do the trick right there.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
The resistor is either in the tumbler, or the housing that the tumbler sits in. I know it sees the rotation of the cylinder, I guess it must be in there? I bought the wrong year cylinder for the plow truck and it angered the VATS, and the housing was hammered so I ordered a matching wrong year version of that too with the intent of 411 swapping it and killing VATS that way. Since mine's old and dumb there's no display to ding at me or BCM to piss off. Do you know anyone with a tech 2 or a clone? I think that'd do the trick right there.
That was my thought also and I don't know anyone. I'll pull the key switch out and put a resistor on the wires when I figure out the value. Start there anyway. Even with a Tech 2 still wouldn't be able to program the BCM to turn off that light. Not like we do with HP Tuners.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Since mine's old and dumb there's no display to ding at me or BCM to piss off.
This is what I'm looking at.. Which while thinking about it if I really wanted to turn it off I could probably clip the serial data wire coming out of the BCM going to this cluster..🤔

20230815_155236.jpg

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Can you clip that wire without "angering" some other subroutine downstream or will isolating it cause other issues elsewhere? Sounds like all your systems "talk" to each other extensively and a snip and clip to something in one might tick off one of the others.

Nick

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
With this one being Gen III LS GMT 800 these systems are still just about independent actually. BCM picks up the key because that has the security module in it, sends a 50Hz PWM signal to the PCM on a different wire saying everything is good and to run the Engine via pulsing the injectors. VATS disables the injectors. I turned off the VATS in the PCM with my tuning software why I'm able to drive the truck.

Serial Data is independent for each, this is not the Gen IV Can-Bus stuff that needs to talk to each other. That's why I said from that Body Control Module to that cluster. Serial Data to the gauges is purely to transmit signals to display stuff. The PCM sends like 4 different ones to that cluster on the Serial Data wire, 1998 was the last year of analog. The BCM controls the vehicle alarm system, door locks, keyless entry. All that still works fine. When you arm the system it flashes on the cluster there for a second and shuts off, so if I clipped that wire I would not see that when I arm it, just would hear the horn.

The BCM and PCM send data to be displayed on the gauges via that wire coming from each one. I'll try the resistor method first but if I don't get it fixed with that I'll be clipping a wire.

Last edited:

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Picked me up a new family hauler today. 2002 Z71 4x4 suburban with 116k on it, full leather and one owner. Can’t wait to do some minor upgrades throughout. IMG_9977.jpeg IMG_3171.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor