What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Headgaskets blew on the k1500 after a heater hose popped, so doing that in 103f humid *ss bullshit *ss iowa weather. Got the rad out, intake off, all exhaust manifold bolts loose, driver's side accessories off, all thats left is the ac unit and it's bracket and the heads themselves. Sweat my balls off about 4 times.
Went to see Jason Aldean with my gf on the last day of the Iowa state fair on sunday, and even he said it was hotter n hell outside, and that day was cooler. People not from the midwest always, always underestimate our weather. Iowa doesn't have normal weather, it's always ______ as ****. Windy as ****, rainy as ****, hot as ****, humid as ****, cold as ****, snowy as ****, etc. Very rarely do we get an "Ahh, this is nice" day that isn't immediately preceded or succeed by "As ****" weather.

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Headgaskets blew on the k1500 after a heater hose popped, so doing that in 103f humid *ss bullshit *ss iowa weather. Got the rad out, intake off, all exhaust manifold bolts loose, driver's side accessories off, all thats left is the ac unit and it's bracket and the heads themselves. Sweat my balls off about 4 times.
Went to see Jason Aldean with my gf on the last day of the Iowa state fair on sunday, and even he said it was hotter n hell outside, and that day was cooler. People not from the midwest always, always underestimate our weather. Iowa doesn't have normal weather, it's always ______ as ****. Windy as ****, rainy as ****, hot as ****, humid as ****, cold as ****, snowy as ****, etc. Very rarely do we get an "Ahh, this is nice" day that isn't immediately preceded or succeed by "As ****" weather.

1000003890.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Well, the steering wheel did come off, mostly because it was a nasty lump that had seen too much time on a shelf covered with schmutz. That still didn't solve the problem so the whole column took a ride back to the yard and Junior snapped the old one and the new one faster that you could describe how it was supposed to be done. So now the new stalk, complete with the cruise control switch, is in place. Once I fished the harness through and tried to cycle the turn signal portion of the situation, I ended up having to clearance the hole through which the stalk comes out in order to give the wire some room and avold pinching it when making the left hand turn. Mr. Dremel was his usual efficient self in assisting me to shave the pocket wall back just that desirable amount as well as radius the corners to make it all look factory.

Apparently what GM did was to make a common steering column and just add or subtract to/from it by application. So it could come with or without cruise and with or without tilt. The mounting bracket is pretty much the same as is in my Monte, only not a floor shift variant.

Put it all back together, except for the steering wheel; that will get replaced.

Nick

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Passenger side head is cracked, sure driver's side is too.
Yaaaay

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Whose Brand.Make/P/N of heads??

Nick

Lame TBI castings. Can probably find some for free if he looks hard enough. Strange though, it's the Vortecs that were more known for cracking as GM tried thinner castings to reduce weight.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Found a set on mp for $80. Look clean enough and no cracks, what the hell lets try it. Shame its a flat tappet engine though.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor