Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN3845.JPG

DSCN3848.JPG

DSCN3850.JPG

DSCN3849.JPG

DSCN3846.JPG

So the weak spot on my original S-10 front bumper proved to be the upper ledge that sits just below the eyebrow on the fender. Apparently it is a natural water/moisture trap that allows water to accumulate and not drain off.

What you see here is my personal solution to that issue. What I did was to graft in a doubler plate on both sides where the rust out is prone to occur. (Even the replacement bumper had started to show damage and rust out in the same area.)

I did both bumper tips and shaped the plates to conform to the pocket as completely as possible, even chamfered the edges to match the inside curves. Then I welded both of the plates in completely and took Dr. Dremel to the seams to smooth them out. Also went back a time or two to add weld and reshape some of the seams where I wanted the final product to be as smooth as possible.

DSCN3852.JPG

DSCN3854.JPG

DSCN3855.JPG

These show the plating after receiving two coats of POR15. Once that had dried, it was on to the Krylon and final sealer coat of flat black.

DSCN3856.JPG

Done with the inside, now the outside gets its turn. This is the first coat of, wait for it, POR15. The two coats actually were applied to a clean rust free surface. The trick with this was to give the metal some "tooth" or a good degree of initial coarseness to give the POR something to grab onto or sink into. Both the bumper tips had prominent "acne" and, once cleaned and ground out as much as was feasible, they got multiple applications of Rust Not, and then the POR over that to guarantee that, as much as possible, whatever cancer that still possibly lurked in the shadows was caught and killed.

DSCN3859.JPG

Primer and sand, primer and sand, primer and sand, y'all know the drill so no great revelations there.

DSCN3864.JPG

Primer Sealer, the last coat prior to the Money Shot. The primer and the POR15 seemed to get along with each other, no orange peel or lifting but just to make sure the color and the undercoats do not get into a fight, on went the primer sealer. (Funny story about that....)

DSCN3875.JPG

And the Money Shot. The keen eyed are likely already grumbling, "that doesn't look like what is on the box side." About that...........

According to the paint code, what the color is supposed to be is "Pewter" sort of an off or flat silver color. Catch is, when I shoot the OEM formula it comes out way too cold with a heavy bias towards silver, when put in comparison with what is actually on the vehicle. At this point there has been around a half dozen spray outs of the variations on the theme to get the final color just that little degree of warmer that it seems to need. I have personally always thought the factory color was sort of a "Champagne" hue and may still elect to have the current color recipe modified by adding a lighter, more towards the gold end of the spectrum, flake , as opposed to the silver/pewter. Been fiddling with this color business since before COvid so it is pretty much an ongoing saga.

DSCN3877.JPG

And what the world gets to see, this shot from the topside angle. Most of the top surface actually gets buried under the upper grille/fascia because the grille shoulder is also the cover for the bolts that hold the bumper to the upper frame brackets.

At this point, it is back to watching the paint dry.

Post Script.

When I said "back to watching................." these shots are actually the second Money Shot. The first one failed. At this point I may never be sure what happened but, on applying the final shot of base coat, it curdled. Not orange peel or acne or craters, just a group of fine wavy lines that moved at random and in random patterns across the paint, and just in small specific areas. Even with the base coat dry and clear coat applied, they remained, so.................

Once I got as far down in the layers that I was back into the primer/surfacer, and they were still there but it all was smooth, I took a chance and reshot the primer/sealer and let it dry overnight. Then I shot the base coat, again, and it shot true. Typically, clear is shot over base with about a half hour or thereabouts in between them, it varies according the shooter and how they approach the matter. I elected to wait for around 4 hours to give the base a longer drying time and it seemed to pay off as the clear went down and laid down as you see it.

The bumper, now? On the truck. I hung it yesterday. Elected to use all new fasteners just because I managed to find and buy them. The side mounting straps still have to go on and then the lower fascia panel; something to do today.

Moving on.....................

CopperNick

Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN3880.JPG

DSCN3883.JPG

With the bumper, lower valence, and upper grille/fascia in position, you can now actually see the color shift. It gets even worse in daylight or sunlight.

The headlight pods are still to go, For them I still need some kind of special itty-bitty light bulb that just has to be amber for some politically expedient reason. I'll have to pay a visit to Nah-Paw, in the morning or during the day; seems I had a call in for tomorrow already waiting for me when I got home on Friday only I was still at work when the call was made so now I don't know If I have been called or not as the boss went out to the lake and there is no cell bars out there. Ah,w ell.............................

Nick

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Was out in the GTO all weekend again, Friday night saw another rare sight at Mineral. Then did an all day adventure with some friends, the T Type did not handle the highway play so well unfortunately
20230818_175926.jpg
20230818_192828.jpg
20230819_135828.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Did you ask around about who could set you up a nice quadrajet for the new motor now that it's about ready?
Angry Season 3 GIF by SuccessionHBO

So what went wrong with the T-type? Handling or engine or ??

Nick
Engine, before we left she was saying it was going to need a new rear main seal. Once we got to a spirited drive it was smoking a good bit and then was leaving nice droplets of oil off to everyone. When we got to the other car show, everyone else was wiping down their car to get it off, I figured it just gave the GTO character

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Or made it waterproof and semi-immune to flash rust of the finish.

Nick

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Anyone on the board ever argue with the cruise control/wiper control variant of the turn signal stalk on their steering column in their G-Body? I have a column that is destined to go into my G-10 body but it needs the turn stalk replaced and all the so-called instuctions don't say what to do next after the way it is supposed to be removed doesn't work. (Tried multiple times but it don't wanna cooperate)

This is just the stalk we're discussing here, the headlight turn signal switch is not affected by all this so no apparent need to remove the steering wheel (unless the switch in question gets busted and then yeah, off comes the wheel plus a good chunk of the column)

Nick

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Finished up welding repair patches on the Crown Vics passenger side rocker. Had to patch both the inner and outer rockers. Going to spray thevinside with epoxy primer then anti rust wax.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor