What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Actually that recommends a point back into mind. Has anyone ever had to source those lower shock mounting clips as they are the same for a G-Body as they are for an S-10?

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Finished my half finished C6 Z51 brake conversion on my C5 Z06. Takes you from 12.8"F/12"R to 13.4"F/13"R rotors. Gotta run 18" rims or bigger though. I got the pads and rotors free eons ago, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads and rotors that they no longer make. It's just as well because the rotors suck. They're all cut off the same blanks which means the directional cooling vanes face the wrong way on one side of the car and the correct way on the other. Worth what I paid I guess. What I needed was the pad abutment brackets to move the calipers out to match the rotors. I did this in the front by buying C6 Z51 calipers with mounts from Advance and returning the absolutely hammered spread out C5 Z06 calipers and mounts as cores that were on my Camaro at the time. Mounts for the Z06 and calipers for the Camaro. The next season I went with a 4pot setup on the Camaro and the C6 calipers hit the shelf. I was hoping to find a deal on the rears but that never came to fruition. Last week I stumbled on the part number and found the mounts online pretty cheap so I pulled the trigger.

1000003893.jpg

And got it all bolted up.

1000003899.jpg

Now for that front caliper swap, the front calipers on this car are spread out too. The C6 bits have a much thicker bridge.

IMG_20200520_113843.jpg

That last pic is from when I swapped these onto the Camaro.

1000003902.jpg

Cleaned, painted, and bolted up.

1000003904.jpg

They look better when you sand the paint back off the letters. Now the fun began. I found 4 brand new copper washers in my stash instead of reusing the old ones. I wanted the least amount of spilled brake fluid running down the rattle can paint. Well that didn't pan out at all, the driver's side leaked like a sieve and no matter how tight I got that bolt it wouldn't stop leaking. So today I went to O'Reilly's and picked up the AC Delco copper washers I ordered yesterday and they had a smaller OD. I also noticed an indentation in the caliper and both sides of the brake line itself. I zipped the driver's side down with those washers and a sane amount of torque and the leak was gone. Thank God. I really didn't like the thought of the caliper being junk after the time I sank into cleaning and painting the thing. Next up I pumped a quart of brake fluid through the system, reinstalled the wheels I scrubbed inside and out yesterday, dropped it back in the ground, torqued the wheels, and went nowhere because it finally decided to rain and I just washed the thing. I'll probably take it to work tomorrow, gonna need to work on getting the rears bedded in to see how they feel now. I left the Vatozone semi metallics on out back as a true Z51 swap involves a different rear caliper.

Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Pagrunt, yep, dem's da ones. GM OEM #371964, used under G-Body and S-10 from 78/79 to 1997. Auvecco is supposed to offer them as a part under their NORS heading but........................

Just waiting for the GM franchise to open today to phone the parts manage and ask if they are still in the bins. If not they will have to come from the aftermarket.

OPGI is a great source for them and Thanks Large for the link. Unlike their predecessors, these are metric. I can get the bolts with no problem but the clips are another matter. From the states I am getting delivery dates as far out as a month. It's the getting of them over the border is the kink in the supply chain.

This may end up a case of a trip to the yard to see if any of the corpses still have them in good/useable condition. I would prefer not to as they are 20 years old and all of that spent in the salt and crud of winter which makes their structural integrity suspect. There is nothing so sickening as getting a bolt to that final happy degree of tight only to have it slip, and then not want to back out.

Anyway, on the hunt again.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Still relying on the GTO for car stuff, one of these days its gonna strand me. But had some good times over the weekend
20230826_124932.jpg
20230826_115740.jpg
20230826_084822.jpg
20230826_111129.jpg
20230827_110501.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Pagrunt, yep, dem's da ones. GM OEM #371964, used under G-Body and S-10 from 78/79 to 1997. Auvecco is supposed to offer them as a part under their NORS heading but........................

Just waiting for the GM franchise to open today to phone the parts manage and ask if they are still in the bins. If not they will have to come from the aftermarket.

OPGI is a great source for them and Thanks Large for the link. Unlike their predecessors, these are metric. I can get the bolts with no problem but the clips are another matter. From the states I am getting delivery dates as far out as a month. It's the getting of them over the border is the kink in the supply chain.

This may end up a case of a trip to the yard to see if any of the corpses still have them in good/useable condition. I would prefer not to as they are 20 years old and all of that spent in the salt and crud of winter which makes their structural integrity suspect. There is nothing so sickening as getting a bolt to that final happy degree of tight only to have it slip, and then not want to back out.

Anyway, on the hunt again.

Nick
Part of the parts i've been ordering for Jr's '79 was a set of them. Years back I found a NOS set of inch ones that I put on my '81 while I was replacing what all metric hardware with out hurting safety & function.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So GM discontinued those clips and their associated part number around ten years or so ago. Yard kind of has them but they are still attached to the front suspension of the one S-10 and not readily available unless I pay the yard fee to get them removed. Right now the yard is a swamp due to repeated bouts of rain so the yard guy isn't exactly eager to go mud diving just to find out that the clips are junk.

My auto paint shop is trying a hunt for them as is the counter staff at the yard. Not making any book on their probable success.

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Thought about it, Did other things, thought about it some more, and pulled the trigger on the OPGI clip kit.

I am not a huge fan of OPGI at present because they, post Covid Round One, have eliminated a lot of the inventory and parts that they used to carry and consolidated many of their old catalogues under common covers. Moreover, they don't accept Paypal which is a financial nuisance as far as I am concerned.

Anyway, the parts got ordered and the shipping, for the curious, is about THREE times!!! as much in cost as the parts were. Another reason to be leery about cross border shopping right now.

Nick

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor