What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Took it out to a few shows this weekend and ran out to Youngstown to pick up the intake for the Monte
20230904_170546(1).jpg
20230902_114030.jpg
20230904_154941(1).jpg

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Got the k1500 together enough to test fire to see if it runs and how far off the timing is, and the sum b*tch just clicks. Not clickclickclick like a dead battery, just one click and it drops out. All lights work, horn works, radio works, I redid the melted section of the purple wire going to the solenoid and cleaned off the grounds that were working perfectly fine before it overheated, nothing. Battery is good, or at least sits at 12.7 volts. So I got to deal with that now.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Took off the front passenger wheel to get a better look at the starter, the battery connection was just loose enough to turn, and i guess that was stopping it from cranking. Messed with the timing a bit and got it close, but it still definitely needs attention, as well as an oil change from all that brake cleaner and stuff thats fallen in. On a hunch i also checked the thermostat on the stove burner (couldn't find me torch), springs turned red hot and it didn't open, so that tstat is bad. would've been a real b*tch to have this happen again because of a $8 part.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Best POS (Point of Sale) item I scored some time ago was a Butane Micro-Torch. Uses standard butane lighter fuel and self-starting. Adjustable for amount of flame. Great for shrinking heat tube and useful for soldering metal.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
k1500 runs, runs good. need to do some fiddly stff yet, but it's mobile.

also adjusted the shift linkage and cleaned up the rusty *ss linkage itself.

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Went to Walmart and found this beefy 25" made-in-USA pry bar with strike cap for $11. I think that's hard to beat.
It is hard to beat considering the U.S.A. made Hyper Tough as well as U.S.A. made Craftsman scrapers and pry bars are actually made by Wilde.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Had sort of been sneaking up on me for most of the summer but while getting into gear in my non G-Body, Gee-10 has remained fairly easy, getting out of gear and into park had become real mean and hard to accomplish.
So Thursday became "deal with the linkage day" Dug out my can of Deep Creep and proceeded to apply a very generous coat of it to all the exposed surfaces and contact areas of the shift linkage where it exited the steering column. Followed that up with an also very generous shot of Fluid film and gave the whole thing overnight to sink in and ooze around in the workings.
Came out on Friday and applied a second layer of the Fluid Film prior to first start for the day. Let the van warm up and eased on out of the drive and down the road.

First Stop was at Napa for some more of the Deep CReep as that stuff gets some serious employment in my shop and Walla! Back through the gears and on into park was nice and smooth with no resistance. The movement actually got smoother as I progressed from stop to stop on my errands to do list for the day. Sweet.

On the other hand however, my attempt to locate a 700R4 compatiable steering column assembly that included the cruise and wiper controls came to an abrupt halt when I just happened to notice that the clocking for the shift arm down at the bottom of the column body fell at 4 on the dial instead of at 9; in other words the lever faced the wheel instead of the engine. Not reclockable; a permanent state of affairs without some serious surgery and reconstruction. What had been located for me was a column from a "P" application which is some kind of cab forward design about which I know very little. The need for an intermediate shaft with u-joints in it should have been the tip off the hope was that the basic column was universal and that the install kits varied according to the vehicle being built. Uh-uh. Time to go looking again, and......................

The yard just happened to have a 4 speed column assembly from, wait for it,................. An Olds!! Not sure of the age or application but it seems to have all the right bits facing in all the correct directions. Came with the factory paint job more or less intact, probably something called "Cranberry" and the painter must have done the shot on a Friday after 3pm coffee as it was all over everything includind the electrical connectors.

Still have to figure out how to get it play nicely with the steering box, it has that hollow "D" shaped shaft shape at the bottom. I do still have the "P" intermediate shaft with the u-joints so time to do some thinking and contemplating...................................

And it may all go on hold for a bit as my shock mounting clips and bolts from OPGI showed up in the mail today so I am back to working on the S-10 front suspension again.

Nick

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Been on leave this past week, and the last couple days been cleaning the garage. That means finishing unfinished things that clutter it up. Case in point was getting this back together.

1000003998.jpg

It's a first gen Traxxas Revo. A couple years ago my neighbor gave me a 3.3cc to replace the 2.5cc motor it originally came with. The small motor had a 22 tooth bellhousing and the bigger motor had a 15 tooth. I decided to keep the smaller bell as the thing was hilariously overheated to begin with. The motor mounts weren't perfect, it's missing an ear so only has 3/4 screws and the exhaust manifold was badly distorted. I tweaked it mostly back to where it was supposed to be, swapped the coupler out on the exhaust as mine had a hole, and then discovered a lifeless throttle/brake servo and steering servo. They were both just seized. I swapped out the throttle servo with another I had around and disassembled and unstuck the one steering servo. Far from ideal, but good enough to run the thing and see what it really needs. That fuel jug was a sealed deal from many years ago, was gonna fire the thing off tomorrow but got antsy and decided instead to reek up the garage of nitro. No regrets there, had to dig through my glow plugs to find one that would glow. And the one way bearing on the starter was being a POS, probably gummed up with old oil. Fresh on the heels of that success I decided to get the old Nitro Hawk down off the shelf.

1000004000.jpg

Not pictured is the GMT800 body it wears. I don't recall this being broken in any sense, been forever since I ran it. But the motor was pretty much locked up so I split it open. More old gummed up oil, I splashed some fresh fuel onto the innards and it freed right up. No corrosion or anything so will try ripping on it too tomorrow and see what happens.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So today was "paint day" meaning the lower control arms got a fast coat of Rust Check Rust Killer that will get to dry over night as the humidity is up around the 90th percentile locally.

Dug the Olds steering column out of the van and dropped the tailgate on the S-10 to create a rough and ready work bench for some fast measurements and comparisons, and.........................................

Wah, wah, waaaah. NO Joy. The Olds tube is about three inches longer and the wiring is all wrong. Not just the locations in the various plugs but the color of the wires in the harnesses as well.

So back it goes on Monday.

Been trying to deal with a yard/shop that is located out near the border but the owner very pre-occupied and possessed of a short attention span so he gets questions that he promises to answer/respond to, and doesn't. Easily distracted. Not worth the cost of the gas to go out there and see what he has. Right now unleaded is $7.60 a gallon and I hear that youse Los Americanos are about to get smacked by a 1.00 more/gallon due to a refinery shut down. Could possibly be due to that last Hurricane that meandered along the Gulf Coast on its way to Florida.

Anyway.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
IMG_7325.jpeg
IMG_7324.jpeg
IMG_7812.jpeg

but mom ! it followed me home , I have to keep it .

it's not Paul Newman cool now ,but working on it.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor